High BP cant have eye op

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello

I am a 33 year old male, in quite good shape, I weight lift 3-4 times per week, do not smoke and do not drink alcohol unless its  special occasion and even then I dont drink much.

Looking for some advice, I have the eye disease Keratoconus and was due to have an operation on my left eye on the 22nd Jan, however I have highish or high bp all the time, it has been this way for a number of years, my baseline appears to be 143/94 but I also get figures that can easily go to 167/108 as it was today at pre-operative assessment, they will not operate with that sort of bp figures as I need to have a GA.

I did try both an ace inhibitor (lisinopril? sp?) and propranolol last year for 3-4 weeks but my bp did not drop by much and the propranolol seemed to make me very fatigued so I stopped taking them and was hoping to lower it naturally.

I was also tested with 24 hour urine testing three times, one of those times my adrenaline was tover the lab range but not bya  great deal but the others it was normal so it was deemed I was ok.

I have been booked in to talk to my GP again about this, but I have reservations when it comes to taking bp loweing meds, I do not want to feel fatigued or to gain weight as I am trying to get in real good shape physically and trying to build alot of muscle mass.

any ideas what I could try or any tests that may be of use?

cheers

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi vigilante,

there is a lot of i fo on this site particulary the advice re food e.g smoothie using banana, BEETROOT, and avocado. garlic has also helped some people.. 

weight lifting raises your B.P when you are lifting. are you with an instructor for the correct breathing and lifting regime?

relaxation and meditation techniques canhelp some people. 

I have read the hidden cause of high Blood pressure again by DR. Samuel Mann which is a really useful informative book and looks at drug regimes. you dont say how much metropolo you were taking. a greek pharmacist told me to cut tbs into quarters and take every four hours. i take 100mgs daily. its a pain to remember but i dont get so many side effects with them. try slow deep breathing with the relaxation. calm is a good app and patrick dowling(not sure surname is right. i will check it out.has an app for relaxation and on e for high B.P and anxiety and insomnia etc.

good luck jennifer

• Posted

Hi my partner has been on enalapril for 19 years and his was way higher than yours and he still does body building and has never put weight on with it.

Speak to your Dr I'm sure he will know best .

• Posted

hey thanks,

I did just google bp meds with bodybuilding and there was a lot of talk about ace inhibitors actually helping fat loss, so appears some bodbuilders abuse it for that.

I will try and talk it over with my gp it may have been the propranolol that slowed me down too much previously which ws 3 x 40mg daily, Lisinopril was 5 mg daily so maybe it would be worth going higher on that without trying other meds.

• Posted

I have had three operations including heart valve surgey in the past ten years and my much higer BP than yours has not been considered a problem.
    • Posted

Hi Derek    about bp and going for surgery   what is the linit for that do you know anyone going for surgery their bp surely will be raised due to nerves they must take that into consideration
    • Posted

I believe that with a GA your BP goes down when you are unconcious but that would not apply woth spinals or locals. 
  • Posted

hmm, I can only assume its because its my eyes? or its because I am not on any medications for high bp, I am now s of yesterday my GP has put me on Ramipril 2.5mg, blood test in 2 weeks time if its not lowered enough he wants me to add in Amlodipine (sp?)
    • Posted

Hi you say you body building, do you take any supplements to achieve yourgoals, even some pprotein mixes can raise bp, also if it was considered high your medication would be of a higher dose, your numbers don't equate to continuous high bp, when after training do you take it
    • Posted

hey, well I was bodybuilding for a few years but had to take a 2 year gap because of the birth of my twin daughters, literally killed all my free time, I have been back lifting around 6 weeks now, only supplements are: Whey Protein, Vit c 1000mg, D3 5,000ui, coq10 200mg, b12 1000 mg, as well as eating a high protein low carb diet.

My bp figures have been up an down for years, last year I had figures of 170/125 at one point and was tested with 3 x 24 urine collections, one test was abnormally high for adrenaline not sure on the scale I think it was 50-200? and mine was 250 or there abouts.

I was put on the beta blocker propranolol but I got very very fatigued on it, I think because my heart rate is low usually and that makes it even lower.

I had been trying to lower it naturally through diet/exercise/vitamins and thought I was starting to achieve some reductions but again its 167/108, at the drs 160/110 at home the last few days at its lowest 144/93 with pulse 52 (about 11pm at night)

I took my 2nd Ramipril this morning my figures show no sign of improvement as yet.

as for my training I have lost 12 lbs in the  last 6 weeks which has just about put me at what I would call my equilbrium kind of weight, I have also gained some nice strength in my lifts and was feeling great prior to last week.

I wanted to add in D-Ribose to my whey shake and possibly Creatine.

• Posted

That's got to be a coincidence as my OH lifted for over 10 Years then had to stop due to family commitments and 18 months later his bp had gone from normal to extremely high, 260/145 they couldn't make up there minds whether to ring for ambulance or mortician LOL but they gave him 40 mg of enalapril and waited an hour and it had gone down, had to have bp taken every day for about 10 days till it went down, even on meds it can rocket but the more exercise he does the better it is.

Maybe weight lifting is ok while you do it constantly but isn't good if you stop.

• Posted

Anyone know how long Ramipril might take to work? im 3 days in looks like zero effect so far, I also noticed my bp monitor has picked up an irregular heartbeat on 3 occasions since starting this med.
    • Posted

Vigilante, it can take a few weeks to work.  You need to check the irregular heartbeat out with your GP.  I have an occasional irregular heartbeat - some can be quite innocent but some can lead to atrial fibrillation so should be investigated.   
    • Posted

Hi Mrs O hope you are well, I get that sign come up often but I think it is  anxiety about bp wonder if vigilante is worried thats usually what causes it, just to give vigilante some peace of mind That is one thing I feel we should leave the docs with peace of mind but these days the gp.s fill us full of fear, so much percent of this that and the other is going to happen and then we start to worry and bang up goes the bp, its a vicious circle, lets look at the fact that if there is a seventeen percent chance like I was told that I would have a heart attack then there is also a 83 percent chance that I won.t jippee lets look at the bright side of things instead of us all living in fear of what the docs say what do you think?
    • Posted

Hi Helen

Yes thank you I am well......apart from the BP!

My irregular heartbeat was diagnosed many years ago.  At the time, I had discovered that my then blood pressure monitor really wasn't giving me correct readings.  I contacted the machine manufacturers and they confirmed that my monitor recorded my blood pressure via the heartbeat so anyone with an irregular heartbeat would not get a correct BP reading. I passed this info on to my GP as at the time, the automatic BP monitors were being used more and more at my surgery.  My GP took my pulse manually, confirmed the irregular heartbeat and arranged an Echocardiogram.  The result: "Abnormal ECG - Supraventricular Ectopic Beats".  I had the same result from repeat Echos over a few years, but the latest Echo about 18 months ago showed "Normal".  My GP now uses the traditional BP machine (sphygmometer).

Yes it is concerning when the doctors tell us we are at risk of a heart attack or stroke (and in my case kidney failure) if we don't get our BP down.  But for those of us who are so very sensitive to the BP lowering drugs, it's a choice between taking a risk with our lives with high BP or taking pills that reduce our quality of life.  Certainly in very young people like vigilante, I would have thought it was vital to tackle the BP.  As for what I think?   I think in view of the fact that high BP is known as the "silent killer", we should try the medication to lower our BP in the hope that it works and we don't have horrid side effects, watch our weight, have a daily, brisk walk and eat the appropriate diet......and cross our fingers!

Stay well, Helen.  

• Posted

Presumably doctors using similar monitors to us were also not aware of this problem. For the past 12 years they have all used similar monitors to my original one that did not show irregular beats but I could tell from its beeps. 

About 25% of my home readings with my new monitor show an irregular ectopic beat. They can be when my reading is ultra high (210/87) or very low 107/61.

• Posted

Derek, it is telling that following me passing my 'discovery' re the monitors to a couple of GPs and nurses at my surgery, the automatic monitors were slowly replaced by the old traditional type.  I guess it had been easier for a nurse/assistant without training on the sphyngmometer to use the automatic monitors.  However, I'm wondering whether the more recently produced home monitors have now been manufactured to get round this problem?

Not sure what monitor you've got that shows an "irregular ectopic beat"  - I thought I had a good up-to-date monitor (the Omron M6) which shows a pulse reading but not sure that it would show up ectopic beats......unless I'm missing something (being thick in other words!).  Mind you, it's called a "Comfort" monitor, but it's the most tightly gripping monitor I've ever experienced!     

• Posted

My medial practice and Cardiology at my local hospital still use various Omron monitors. The professor I saw at Imperial College and the consultant at the Hypertension Centre  use a big clock faced Sphygmomano device that thay say is the most accurate.

My monitor is a Omron Mit Elite Plus. I'll E-Mail them to see if they have got round the problem. It shows irregular beats but does not say whether they are ectopic but from ECG's and taking my pulse I know that they are.

Re tight cuffs, I can tell very accurately what my BP is from how much it tightens. At the hypertension centre on Thursday I closed my eyes while it was being taken and said around 190? It was 190/90, of course that is what it usualy is in a white coat situation:-)

• Posted

Yes, both my rheumatologist and renal consultant use the clock face sphgmometers on the wall.

I haven't yet got as clever as you in guessing what my BP is when being taken, but I am aware that it's going to be very high if the machine seems to stop and starts again.

The cuff on mine is so tight that when I try it on hubby even he complains that he's never experienced one so tight.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.