high bp despite taking medicines

Posted , 4 users are following.

my mother (64yrs) have high bp since 30 yrs. she has a clot in left limb.

all others vitals are normal. she takes triolmigest 40(Olmesartan(40 mg),Amlodipine(5 mg),Hydrochlorothiazide(12.5 mg)) + Metoprolol(50 mg) in morning and MINIPRESS XLPrazosin(5 mg) + Metoprolol(50 mg) in evening.

but now and then her bp shoots up (210/110) and it take 3-4 days to back at normal.she adds Metoprolol(50 mg) bd to the above medicine.

what she should do to keep the bp normal...

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Unfortunately, some people do have high blood pressure that just can't be controlled. I assume her doctor has already told her to keep her intake of salt to an absolute minimum, and to try and keep her weight within normal limits. Also, if she's a smoker she should stop, or at least cut down. Regular mild exercise can help too, though I note you say she has a problem with her leg. Would regular swimming be a possibility?

However, it's not always possible to completely control hypertension. I see from what you've said that the addition of metoprolol to her usual meds does bring her BP down from these spikes, so she is quite lucky that something works.

I'm wondering whether you've discussed this with her doctor, to see whether a change of medication might help a little. If you've already exhausted all the medical possibilities, lifestyle improvements are about all you have left.

• Posted

Hi Crabamit. Diana here I too have had that problem with my blood pressure spiking my cardio raised my nighttime BP from 10 to 20 milligrams actually just doubled it but once in awhile it would still go up this started several months ago I still would take an extra 10 milligrams of the blood pressure med that I take which is Lisinopril finally it has come down does your mom's pressure go up at night it is very dangerous I had symptoms actually started having seizures when mine would go up I did not care what anybody said I would take extra medicine to get it down maybe that was wrong but at least I avoided a stroke is very hard to manage sometimes and I don't know what the reasons are I was checked out at the hospital several times and they could not find a reason other than low sodium I drink Gatorade and take magnesium Centrum vitamins vitamins C calcium and fish oil and once or twice a week extra potassium if your mom is taking hydrochlorothiazide she probably needs extra potassium if you look it up it will control blood pressure well it claims to help that's all the advice I can give you I hope she is okay and safe thank you for taking care of her as I am and elderly Mom myself

• Posted

my suggestion would be Hibiscus Tea make a pot and drink throughout day ( 3 - 4 cups) go to a health store and get true organic Hibiscus flowers not a pre made tea bag. Hibiscus is used around the world to lower BP and works wonders for me. It would be especially useful for the days when her BP spikes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.