High Fibre diet?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all yes its me again! I have been really ill with chronic D so off I went to the Docs who told me to try a very high fibre diet! Really? He said just try it come back in a month, so off i went to buy all sorts of things for this diet that was a week ago has it helped? NO! If anything I am worse! Even the imodium aren't working! I went out yesterday but had to dash back home and only just made it to the bathroom that was at 11am and I was still visiting six times later!! I just don't think there is anything out there that will help me anymore

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You need to eat very dry and plain things like cream crackers cornflakes with yoghurt on etc these all help aswell as dry crumpets hopefully you will get some relief soon. Thinking of you xx
  • Posted

Thank you Katie this has been going on for nearly four years I take Colesevlam bile binders upto eight imodium and it doesn't matter what I eat the D is bad
  • Posted

Thank you Katie this has been going on for nearly four years I take Colesevlam bile binders upto eight imodium and it doesn't matter what I eat the D is bad
    • Posted

Must admit I have suffered for 18 month now still waiting for my gall bladder out so can't imagine what you are going through but this forum is so good people can share there experiences and hopefully help other fingers crossed for you huni but give it a shot and see what happens xx
  • Posted

I feel so bad for you. I have learned to control my paun and the 5hungs tgat make it worse also take all yiur teports to a homeopathic doctor. If you can't find relief with Western medicine try homeopathic. It really helps. I have used homeopathic medicines. it doesn't hurt to try
  • Posted

I feel so bad for you. I have learned to control my pain and the things that make it worse also take all your reports to a homeopathic doctor. If you can't find relief with Western medicine try homeopathic. It really helps. I have used homeopathic medicines. it doesn't hurt to try
  • Posted

Hi, I had the same problem my go prescribed me with "colestryramine powder sachets" these worked for me, don't eat a high fibre diet ( idiot dr) avoid the healthy stuff like fruit and only a small portion of veg till it settles. Then bring wholemeal back gradually and see how you get on. I still have bouts of dr 1 yr on. Hope this helps. Sylvia. 
  • Posted

HI SANDYNAN. so sorry to hear about this and nothing working for you either is murder. i have no idea what can help if immodium arent working then its worse than really bad. and also you will be loosing all your salts and electrolites. sorry about the spelling. i just want to say if you have the runs that badly then you need to buy sachets of electrolites. i cant spell that word. but i know that you need them. to replace all that you are loosing though going to the toilet. the best thing i can think of is no matter what your going to eat. and i suppose it will be things like dry crackers. but plan to eat after you have been out of the house and done all the things that need doing. i would not eat if i had to go out in a few hours time. my heart goes out to you and thats the only two things i can think of. the electolites are very important and must be replaced.you can buy sachets in the chemist. i know that doctors are not really much good its when you are really ill that you notice it. and when your sent home with paracetamol for agonising pain and the wrong information on what to eat. its surprising how littel doctors actaully know.they know how to check all the vital signs and make sure we are not about to die. but most other things i think they learn by experience of the patienst they get in. thats why i go to old doctors as i think they have seen it all. i have totally lost faith in the medical field. dont get me wrong there are a lot of wondrful nurses i know that. but when it come right down to it. you got the exact opposite remedy from you doctor and have to come on a forum to get the correct remedy. its terrible it really is. im not looking forward to getting my gall bladder out. im lucky im constipated. that also has bad problmes of pain and headaches. all the very best to you sndynan i know im sounding quite negative today. but no wonder after reading your post. and your doctor telling you utter rubbish thats going to cause you more trouble.all the best. cheeky🙏
  • Posted

Thank you so much Katie, Mafia, granny, and cheeky XXX the only people who listen are on this forum! I have been seeing consultants since all this started I go back in March to see another consultant yesterday was the first day I wanted to go anywhere all I had had were bran flakes which that stupid GP told me to have! It's the fact that when the feeling to go to the loo comes on me its so urgent I am terrified one day I won't make it to the loo! I'm 70 now and feel that this is going to be like this for the rest of my days
    • Posted

dont loose hope sandynan as thats  what keeps most of us going. we are all here for you and care as well as we are suffering similar things some people will have the same as you or a mixture of symptoms so we all know what its like and how painful it can be so we do care for each other.and all the bits of information we get from each othe does help. so hopefully you will find out what is best to eat and what isnt. also i would try having very very small meals so that if you do get the runs its not to much.i wouldnt have large meals i'd have more small meals. a bit at a time and maybe you will find out what your body can take without you having to run for the toilet. we are always here for each other and that of itself is a blessing and a help as we know we can come and moan or whatever we need.if we need advice there are many of us who have found solutions and can share them with each other. god bless you dear. i will keep you in my prayers. sandynan, 🙏❤️💐
  • Posted

I was going to say high fibre diet will make your D worse surely.  I do like your description chronic D. Oh my days, sometimes I think these Doctors don't know how to deal with folk like us who really suffer day in and day out.  I'm wondering if you still have your gallbladder.  I remember before I had mine taken out that I had to go back to eating white bread and rice etc as they were lower in fat for some reason that whole wheat producst.  I've never suffered really badly with chronic D either before or after my removal.  Mine is the other complaint, chronic C as I'm going to call the constipation now.  Really horrible I find that.  I think like anything too much of anything to the extreme is hard to deal with.  Everyone is different in this process isn't it. 
  • Posted

I had my GB removed it was very badly diseased in 2012 this next consultant I see in March will be the 5th! I have had four endoscopies and the same colonoscopys all came back normal. The thing that frightens me more is the urgency! And I hate all this ruddy complaining but nobody listens and nobody takes me seriously except for this forum! Perhaps we should try and find a doctor to join us on here to get the word to the other GPs lol
    • Posted

Ah I feel for you sandynan I really do.  My GP is wonderful.  But I've only known him for the last year.  My previous GP's were not brilliant really.  But I hear what you are saying.  I had mine out in August 2013.  I nearly died in the surgery.  I had a longer than average recovery because I had slightly bigger scars but still keyhole and not full open surgery.  But then I was fine for about a year.  The last year has been awful.  All the symptoms of having a gallbladder etc.  I could feel something where my gallbladder was.  My previous GP said it was psychosomatic.  When I walked into my new GP's surgery beginning of March 2015 he knew exactly what was wrong with me.  I have a post operative mass in my gallbladder site.  They don't know if this is causing my issues but it has to go.  I have my removal surgery tomorrow.  They are going to go in, have a look, see what is it, revert to open surgery, remove it, then take it from there.  So I don't know how long I'll be in for or anything.  Just hope it makes a difference because I have no life at the minute and it is all too much!  Good luck to you. But yes, we need medical bods on here to see that folk are really struggling.
  • Posted

LittleMissDolly All the best for tomorrow I will be thinking of you love let me know how you are when you can, lots of love and gentle hugs xxxx 
    • Posted

Thank you so much.  I'll be in touch probably next week.  You take care too xx
    • Posted

Sandynan, just to let you know that the operation was cancelled today, 3 hours after I arrived at Hospital. Thankfully I wasn't all gowned up!  But nevertheless I had my identity bracelet on and had been without food and meds since Midnight!  I'm speaking to my GP tomorrow to see whether I stick with this Consultant or go with a new one I've been offered but whom I've never met, to have a quicker operation.  I'll let you know what happens! Please take care too.  xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.