High level of blood calcium

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am a 75 year old female. Don't do conventional doctors well. I have been into natural healing 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I agree with Phil - get your Parathyroid Hormone (PTH) level checked.  If it's high then you've definitely got Hyperparathyroidism.  The only sure treatment is an operation.  Cinacalcet can help but it's main value is that it attacks the symptoms not the disease.  The costs of these tablets (they're not usually available on the NHS) is probably prohibitive for most people.  If you do decide on an operation then the best one will be at Dr Norman's clinic in Florida.  Again, costs may be prohibitive in which case treatment here in the UK is probably the only option but make sure your surgeon does intra-operative PTH measurements of all glands.  I've read of surgeons who don't do this and subsequently having a guess at which gland is giving a problem.  This is all based on my wife's experiences of Hyperparathyroidism and research on the web that I have done.  I am not a Doctor but trust me none of the Doctors in the UK fully understand this condition or its treatment.

Good luck with your decision but don't leave it to chance.  This is an insidious disease whose bad effects build up over time.

Alan 

• Posted

I had various scans, ultrasounds and nuclear screening before my op (3 days ago). My surgeon knew exactly which parathyroid gland was the culprit. I think it a little unfair to suggest UK ENT consultant surgeons do not know about this condition. My surgeon has done over 500 ops.
  • Posted

The trouble is Arina that scans do not necessarily show up all bad parathyroids.  There is a 30% chance that you have another bad gland and this will only show itself when your PTH level is next checked unless it was large enough for the surgeon to have identified it during the operation (which it obviously wasn't in your case).  Even intraoperable PTH scans will only tell the surgeon that he has taken out the worst gland and he won't know that there may be another bad one.  If you wish to learn more then can I suggest that you look at Dr Norman's web site that he runs out of Tampa, Florida.  Dr Norman is a fellow of the American college of surgeons and a fellow of the American college of endocrinologists and is a (the) World expert on this disease.  It is his web site that has given me the confidence to say what I have said about UK doctors and surgeons especially when I compare what has happened  (or not) to my wife. I have communicated with a very emminent endocrinologist and surgeon on this matter both of whom are in denial.  She had all the scans and had her large bad gland removed.  Unfortunately she still (after 3 years of doctors' denials and another set of scans which didn't indicate any problem - they've since relented) suffers from hyperparathyroidism. I am not a doctor but I do trust Dr Norman and his web site.  I do hope you are one of the lucky 70%.

Best wishes.  Alan.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.