High PSA after Prostrate gland surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi guys, so my grandfather had his prostrates removed after cancer diagnosis. But now after 2 or 3 years, the PSA is rising again and his prostrate gland hurts a lot. Any advice?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Maybe a little piece of cancer missed during surgery. Your grandfather should see his Oncologist soonest, I think they can check with XRay/MRI/CT scan. If they find any, they put him through RT.

I went the route RT (37 sessions)/Hormone treatment 18 months ago.

PSA remains Zero.

• Posted

your PSA was high too after surgery was it?
    • Posted

Hi Mum

I did not have surgey, I had Radio Therapy and Hormone treatment.

Onocologist advised this route, as I had spread into Seminal Vesical, with a chance of missing some of the cancer, and having RT after surgery.

• Posted

I would agree with Supercargo in that a cancerous piece of tissue was left behind which is not hard to understand when doctors try to retain as many normal functions after surgery. I have had proton radiation and would estimate 10-15% of the fellows in the program had some cancer return after surgery and then went throught proton radiation to solve the problem. 

How high are the PSA levels and how fast are they going up is the question to be answered. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.