Hip Bursitis surgery

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello, I had have hip bursitis in my left hip for nearly 6 years.I just turned 50 and am in good health and lead a very active lifestyle.  I have had 2 MRI's, CT Scan, PRP and more rounds of cortisone injections, accupuncture, massage, ART, etc. than I can count it seems.  I finally decided that surgery was my last resort and had read my numerous comments how successful it is for most people.  I"m 3 weeks post surgery and my pain at night is almost double what it was BEFORE surgery.  My Dr. has performed this surgery a handful of times and did say his prior patients took up to 3-6 months to see the relief they were hoping for.  Honestly I was doing great post surgery until I started PT and now it's so painful I just dread going to bed. Just curious if anyone that has had the surgery had anything similar?  Did it take awhile to feel better after PT started?  I started PT one week after surgery and was off crutches about 5 days post surgery. I'm really stressed that my "last" resort may have been a wrong decision. Hopefully someone can offer some encouragement otherwise!  

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Sorry for this additional pain! If I were you, I'd just stop the PT for weeks or months, and just do your normal life activities as you are able. See if your pain goes down. You can always work on strengthening again after all your soft tissues are healed, there's no rush. Best of luck.

• Posted

Thank you AnnieK!  Things are going much better! The doctor I was doing way too much too soon. I scaled back my activity and things eased up. 
  • Posted

I have had bursa pain for 10 months now; a cortisone shot did not help so want to investigate the possiblity of surgery. Pleae keep us poste don your post-surgery  recovery. I am very interested - and hopeful - that it helps!
    • Posted

Hi there, I'm so sorry for your pain!  I did have 5 cortisone shots over the course of 6 years.  Some lasted longer than others.  I was always hopeful that one would be the "answer". After 6 years and a multitude of treatments I decided surgery was my last resort.  I'm 8 weeks post op and really feel I am doing well. I'm completely walking normally again, slightly slower but most people can't believe I had any type of hip surgery!  I'm cautiously optimistic as I'm not at my regular activity level at the gym yet and worry that once I pick up the pace my hip will be more irritated at night.  Sometimes PT does make my hip flare a bit at night now. However, the pain I had at night sleeping is reduced by at least 80%.  I can actually sleep for at least an hour on left side and before surgery it was 5 minutes and I'm not kidding. I know for my ortho doc the surgery was the LAST resort and it's not very common.  I am totally pleased thus far.  Wishing you well!  Feel free to ask me any questions! 

• Posted

I had that surgery about 8 yes ago in my rt hip, then a clean out about 4 yrs ago and now im having another one here pretty soon, same hip but will be getting the same done on left hip.

I do remember the healing was painful but i don't remember starting pt that early. It just takes time

• Posted

Hi there, PT is going pretty well but my everyday activity level was too aggressive at first and I really needed to take a step back.  I'm assuming you feel this surgery was successful. 

• Posted

Just an update.  It's been 3 months post surgery and unfortunately things are not going as well as I had hoped.  PT has been okay but I can not doing any other form of activity without having my hip pain flare up.  I'm back to having pain at night when I lay on my left side primarily but also have pain sleeping on my right side when my left leg "pulls" on my hip.  Very frustrated as I feel l can't exercise even at a very easy level.  It's also become hard for me to sit at my desk for more than 30 minutes and my hip pain starts so I need to get up and move about.  Any one that has had this surgery please feel free to add any comments.  I see my surgeon again this week for my last post op.  

• Posted

Hi there, i have just had surgery for hip bursitis one week ago, been discharged with no aftercare info apart from carry on as normal, full weight baring. I have been trying hard but needed to use a crutch for the first couple of days. The trouble is now my calf muscles have gone so tight i can barely walk, did you experience this at all?

Also there has been nothing mentioned out excersises or PT?

Hope you can give me some advice??

Many thanks and hope you are feeling better

• Posted

I just wanted to see if you are feeling better now. I am 2 years post surgery and I got no relief from my surgery. My doctor told me going in that it was a 50/50 shot at getting any relief. But, we all know that when you're in that much pain - we get desperate and I was at my last option. I did all of the physical therapy, etc. I have all of the symptoms you mentioned. I can't sit too long without my foot propped up. I can't stand or walk too long. I can't ride too long. I certainly can't sleep on that side. So, it was a let down. 😕

• Posted

Hello, these all sound so painful, I've just been diagnosed with Ischiogluteal Bursitis in both bottocks, I've had them on and of for two years, but now I'm in constant pain, 

I've had injections today and I'm keeping everything crossed, has anyone got any advice please, 

regards michelle 

• Posted

Hi,

I'm 42 years old and suffering from Inflamed trochanteric bursae now for 2 years. Dr gave me cortisone injections in every side of my hips for 4 weeks long, once a week.

In that time my hips where better but after it was the same again. I'm from South Africa, is there someone here that had the surgery in South Africa?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.