Hip dislocation

Posted , 8 users are following.

hello friends! I am wondering what the truth is behind hip dislocation. I am almost 11 weeks post fracture repair and posterior lthr. I feel pretty good, walking with a cane and going to physical therapy twice a week. I am still tentative about my operated leg and have heard everything from : it's very difficult to dislocate , it will happen if you bend over, you're not out of the woods for 6 to 8 months, etc. etc. we are all anxious to get on with our lives but even though I can put my shoes and socks on, perhaps I shouldn't be doing that yet? Does anyone have a good answer for this question? It's driving me crazy! Lol.  Thanks Cindy

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Cindy - good question. I have also heard that it is relatively hard to dislocate your hip but it does happen - esp when connective tissues haven't had a chance to heal and 'graft' properly to the new hip. I think that the answer lies in this dynamic .... the recovery of the connective tissues and ability to keep the hip in place. So perhaps the restrictions are partially about this issue. In my admittedly non-professional view, the restrictions also serve the objective of helping with the longerterm health of all of these soft tissues which take a real beating in this operation.

I look forward to hearing other views on this.

Thanks for the posting and best wishes for a successful recovery.

L

• Posted

I was told that the figure is 1-2% overall, most often in the first 6 weeks.

another bit of advice was always to try and avoid twisting in 2 ways at the same time. For example legs to the left, then twist your upper half to the right and bend down

• Posted

I nearly dislocated mine 4 days after surgery when i was trying to get up of the skfa that was to low and a few weeks ago when i slipped in the bath and my legs went in different directions. Both times were agony. I cant put on my own socks and shoes the normal way but i do bend a lot and have had no issues there. Apparently the risk of dislocation drops to a very tiny risk after 6 weeks. You should be fine hun xx
  • Posted

I heard that if the hip is cemented it is less likely to dislocate than if it is not. I don't know if that is true or not. My neighbour has just had a new hip that dislocated, she was still in hospital and went to watch Wimbledon in the day room, sat down and the chairs were too low. This was in an NHS hospital. 

• Posted

Hi Cindy, 

I don't have anything new to add - The chances that the hip will dislocate "by it self" are very small - and if it does, YOU'LL KNOW !!!

Being able to put your socks and shoes on at 11 weeks post-op is really great - It took me much longer ...

don't force anything - gently stretch until it will be  an easy, no-effort movement - 

how are you doing otherwise?

big warm hug

renee

Maggie brings up a really good point regarding twisting - 

• Posted

Do what ypu can dont be running a marthon yet. Nor zumba get what I mean
  • Posted

Cemented or uncemented, it should be the same - the major risk is in the early stages - see my website for dislocation risk graph.

As the muscles strengthen, the risk is lowered.  There is always a risk, (there was always a small risk before you had your new hip) but the risk diminishes.

If it happens, you WILL KNOW about it !!! cry

See my website for common complications and tips, the address is in my personal info here ...

https://patient.info/forums/profiles/rocketman-sg6uk-907025

and on the moderator's "useful resources" page at

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/thr-useful-resources-487147

Best wishes

Graham - ????

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.