Hip leg and knee pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, just wanted some advice as can't find anything online anywhere else.

At the age of 11 I was informed My left leg is approximately 1 inch shorter than the other. I'm now 30 and find sometimes I get knee pain in the shorter leg, mostly in cold weather. I tend to lean on the left side more than the right and have found sometimes I have left hip pain after very long periods of leaning. My latest issue has been driving. I wondered if anyone else has similar issue. I was stuck in traffic almost crawling for 2 hours and by the time I got out of the car my left leg was in absolute agony. Could this be linked to having a shorter leg, especially as if stretching further with my left leg when driving. If I move my seat forward it becomes difficult to accelerate therefore unsure what the best position would be to drive in. Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I hope you dont end up with the issues i have had to contend with, all down to my left leg being shorter than the right since an RTA back in 1986 which ended up with me breaking Tib and Fib and Femur all compound fractures requiring external fixation and a bone graft eventually.

This left my left leg shorter, and what i was not told at the time i should have been fitted with a raised insole in my left shoe. Because this did not happen in now have severe lumber pain and was suposed to get a fusion last January 2016, but they have now decided to replace the left knee TKR done last month, I see the consultant in a couple of days for a follow up on the TKR (gone great) and plan the next op THR of the same side, and then it's back to the Nuerosurgeon's for the pain and numbness in my lumber region, and numbness that goes down my right thigh (good leg)

• Posted

Ouch! Sounds very painful. I'm glad the TKR has gone well and hopefully they sort the pain out for you. As I have never had any insoles etc I imagine after so long it would be extremely uncomfortable as your body adjusts to your posture, but I was also offered them as a youngster but told shortly afterwards I didn't need them. Although I can't help but wonder whether I'd have some of the pain now had I been given the insoles then.

• Posted

Hiya Kayleigh,

there are lots of things you don't say about your short leg, like, was it caused by a freak of nature or arising from an accident.

?I had a similar event which resulted from tearing my cartilige in my right knee. Over a period of some 15 years lower back pain and right sacroiliac (SI) joint pain worsened. I ended up having a partial knee replacement - HOWEVER - the point is my right leg ended up 1 inch shorter than my left leg. Even though I have a new knee - I still occasionally visit a Chiropractor for manipulation of the right SI joint. I also have consulted a Podiatrist who prescribed orthotics (insoles) for my shoes to ensure that I walk correctly.

?But even today on a long drive, 5 hours or more my SI joint and lower back gives  me hell.

When driving, I would have the seat back ( not forward) ensuring your feet can get to both accelerator OK and of course the brake. I would also get a well padded back lumber support and keep it behind you when you are driving. This will force you into a slightly different posture.

The skeleton of the body is all about alignment and from what you say your lower skeletal structure is way out of whack, out of alignment. It may be that your left hip pain may be coming from the left SI joint. I would suggest you consult a Chiropractor and get an opinion on your problem. If you don't fancy going to a chiro try a Physiotherapist or even a Podiatrist.

?My Chiropractor now can tell if my SI joint is out and sometimes it is by as much as 1/4 of an inch and can actually realign it.

don't know if this helps but it may give you a few clues.

John

• Posted

Thank you John. I'm unsure as to what actually caused it but my mum noticed my spine wasn't quite lined up properly and my left hip appears lower than the right. After numerous trips to the hospital I was informed I may need an insole for my shoes but then was advised as it was approximately an inch it may sort itself out as I grew. However it's just remained the same. My left knee also appears slightly lower.

The pain does seem to come from the left side and can be worse in the winter especially in the knee. I have had sciatica on a few occasions which was excruciating and do find if I bend over to pick something up if pulls the left side of my back more so do believe it's all linked.

Your advice is definitely useful, I will try adjusting my seating position to find the most comfortable for both legs, I assumed sitting quite far forward would be the best idea but hasn't seemed to help.

I will contact a chiropractor and see if they can help. I just wondered if anyone else had experienced the same things smile

Thank you

• Posted

Kayleigh, I don't know how relevant this is but I developed a sideways curvature of the spine and was told it was because one leg was shorter than the other.  I hadn't actually noticed until then but when I looked at photos I looked as though I was leaning towards the shorter leg!  I was told if I didn't raise one shoe I'd end up with a metal bar in my back, so gradually raised the shoes that side by getting higher and higher heel lifts until I got my shoes raised at the local cobblers.  The knee on the shorter leg is bent outwards with arthritis now, but I don't know what caused what - it's chicken and egg.  But that knee is being done tomorrow.  But the point of my post is do check that it's not damaging your spine, not having something to bring both legs into alignment.  I'd suspect it might be damaging your hip too, and don't know about the knee, but I would seem professional advice on it.

• Posted

Thank you Chris. Once I got discharged from the hospital regarding it I never really gave it a second thought and now I'm older and can feel it causing some issues I do believe I should've been offered something more at the time. I will make a doctors appointment and see what's what. Thank you

• Posted

Hi Kayleigh, 

Sorry to hear what you're going through. I have sciatica from tearing my ACL and itt's painful! i try to stretch and exercise more to compensate for sitting all day at wor, which may relate to your sitting in traffic. Being stagnant in one position can really cause my pain to increase and it sounds like that's what you're going through too. As i mentioned I have upped my exercise and stretching, but I also use Abosorbine jr to relieve the pain in my back, thigh and knee. They have patches and liquid if you want to see which one works best for you. It's a great product that's been around forever and uses natural ingredients. This could possibly help to put on before your commute or long travels. Check their website and see what you think! Hope this helps and good luck!

• Posted

I suggest you see a Podiatrist who can measure your legs to see how much of a difference there is and what type of shoe insole would be most suitable in order to gain proper leg length alignment.

I have leg length difference after TKR surgery and was measured up for a heel insert into my shoe which helps realign me. It's still early days yet with this but I do notice that when I stand I am not leaning to one side and although I have to get used to it walking appears to be improved too

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.