Hip Op

Posted , 12 users are following.

I am waiting to have a hip replacement and a very nervous and aprehemsive.  I have opted to go privately which excludes me from any help with mobilty aids ( borrowed now) and won't have care at home.  I do have great neighbours who will come in daily.  Will I be able to cope?

Bunty

6 likes, 75 replies

75 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Dear Bunty, 

Welcome to our family - you found us !!!! you will find loving support here where we share our personal stories ... 

I don't know much about insurances, but do you mean that you pay for the surgery and have no insurance at all? 

I live in Holland and my insurance does cover some aids but for some I have to rent them (like crutches) -

do you know what you need after surgery? the raised toilet seat, crutches, grabber (purchase) - 

when is your surgery and how many days will they keep you? will you get any physical therapy while in hospital ...

Sorry for asking so many questions ..

please, if you want, tell us more about your self - we are all here to help you ...

warm hug

renee

• Posted

No I am completely self funding and it is a huge amount for me to pay up!

Everything is charged for even medication..I have been told I will get crutches which is big of the hopsital as I couldn't leave the hospital without them!  Just packing my case and gives me the jitters just doing that.  I am a big girls blouse!

Bunty

• Posted

Renee..What a nice person you sound.  Yes I have to pay for the whole thing..and the breakdown shows the surgeon and aneiatist ( can't spell ) get a tiny amount of it ..it is the actual hospital that gets the bulk..hey ho...I will get physio whilst in hospital but the daily heperin injections  needed for 6 weeks I am not sure aboutegiven ( by the me the patient) I hope that my lovely GP will give me an NHS presrition for.

x

• Posted

Just out of curiosity, how much is that costing you, and please don't feel obligated to respond if you would rather not. In the USA I hear it is $60,000 to $80,000
    • Posted

The first invoice and second were both just under £14.000 but I havejlust had another which is just under £11.000...due to a different hip bit apparently!!  However there are extras like the first appoint with Surgeon at £150 and after will be same as well.  I have to pay for the OT equipment and any meds needed when out of hospital which may prove pricey!t

Ali

• Posted

What made you pay for your hip op, where abouts are you,I know to pay for the consultation and the hip op you are looking at £15000 easily I had my first hip op in May this year and hopefully the other hip will be done towards Xmas time
    • Posted

Iam paying because I have an extreme, unreasonable ( not gentle) phobia about hospitals and illness.  A very expensive phobia in this case.  You are right it is a little under 14 K and a huge amount out of my limited savings which were supposed to be my back up when I am ancient and needing care.  GP says although I am not in huge amounts of pain and rarely take pain killers this op has to be done sometime as it will only get worse...and I would need carers earlier!
  • Posted

hi

i went privately with insurance at spire in leicester but was given mobility aids and just had to pay £8.50 for crutches hire. Also I had physio but think that was on my policy. I had never been in hospital before and do not worry it will be the best decision you make.  I went privately as would have to wait approximately 18 months for the operation on the nhs in our area.    I am having my other hip done in october.  Do not worry. Its only first 2-3 weeks that are the worst but with good planning and all the aids available at home you will be fine.

good luck. maggie

• Posted

Hi Maggie,

I've just seen your posting. With the NHS they have to operate no later than 18 weeks (RTR - Referral to Treatment). You shouldn't have to wait later than this. They get penalised for this so are very careful that it falls no later than 18 weeks. Also with NHS Patient Choice they have to give you a list of hospitals to choose from. I was given a choice of 5, two were private, Spire and Wessex Nuffield. I chose WN. I'm sure it would be the same for you. You would probably get similar choices, one of which is likely to be The Spire. Your care is identical and you certainly don't pay to hire crutches.... These are essential and not something you should have to pay for. Look into your operation for October and see if you can have it done under NHS Patient Choice. Good luck for October. I hope it goes well,

• Posted

hi

not sure why but I was told 18 months and then checked with my insurer and they said they would pay if i couldnt have the operation on the nhs within an agreed time of 18 weeks so axa agreed to pay for both as

I couldnt get the operation in time.  Not sure why leicester different but anyway happy with the spire now and also happy to have the second operation with same surgeon.  thanks looking forward to october now.

• Posted

You will think me crazy but was offered the op on NHS after only a 12 week wait.  I have an unreasonable terror of hospitals which no amount of reassurance will cure.. Hence me going privately..not because I can afford it as I am paying myslef out of precious and limited savings ..not an insurrance policy..or bcause I think myself grand.  Just terror of hospitals and at least this was I will have my own room.  believe me if it was any other way I would have gone NHS.  I am hvaing the same surgeon BUT and know it must sound crazy..Only way I can face this op..which is on 7th..also no equipment is provided when you opt for self funding which is dreadful.  I have borrowed begged and am looking on line for other OT stuff.  Thanks anyway...
    • Posted

Thank you for your encoraging mail. To be having it again ..well you must be confodent.

Good on You.

• Posted

dearest Alice ... 

I am not sure what to tell you - to live with this kind of fear must be horrible -  I hope you don't mind me asking you, but have you ever had some kind of therapy for this ?  I know that hypnotherapy can be very beneficial for phobias

No, you are not crazy and made the decision you are most comfortable with - just continue to have faith -

warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Alice,

I can't begin to imagine the sort of fear you must endure to make you have to resort to this but here is my two pence worth, for what it's worth.

I have just had hip,replacement number 2, both by the same surgeon but one done in a private hospital and one done in my local NHS hospital and I have to say that the only difference between the two was the a la carte menu and the fact that meals were served on China etc with nice cutlery.

The care given by the NHS nurses was second to none, and I had nothing but praise for them and I told them that too, before I left! They were thrilled to hear it. 

What a shame that you have felt there was no other way than to use up your precious savings in this way. Did you speak to your consultant about this at all as quite often (as in my first hip op) you can have your surgery done at a private hospital whilst still going through NHS funding. I was given all the equipment I needed (and I didn't have to give it back. I fully intend passing this stuff on to someone else who needs it once I have recovered from this second op. I'm 5 days post op today.

I so hope all goes well for you. You won't regret taking the plunge. Life is so much better when you aren't living in constant pain.

Take care and keep us posted please.

Ali xx

• Posted

I hardly dare say but my extreme phobia.. which has been tried to be treated in the past wiith CBT .It is myself or anyone else being sick,  I carry anti sickness tablets with me at all times..I don't go on journeys incase someone else is sick..nor do I stay in any place where a child might be ill.If anyone has been ill on the pavement I will de tour the place long after the stuff has gone wiwth rain etc..I have not been sick for over 55 years.  It isn't just unpleaent as with everyone it is sheer terror.  The docters DO know as it is all over my notes..very hard for people to accept  and be undertandning as is unpleasent for anyone..but for me it is worse than being shut in wth a room of snakes/spiders all the accepted phobias.. had it been a needle phobia or blood or flying/snakes etc the understanding is there and acceptance.  I never ever pooh pooh anyones phobias no matter how ridiculous they may seem.  In this case it is a very expensive phobia for me and if I could I would have gone to NHS which is a super ward in my local hospital  and the same surgeon.  I expect this post will be open to some ridicule but there it is the reason I am going privately is to ensure my own room..nothing else.  I await the good and bad posts I will no doubt receive but this site still remains a huge support.

Many Thanks.

​Ali  ( I am Ali too).

• Posted

Thank you Renee...I have had CBT and hpynosis and to no avail.  It is crazy..but pobia are crazy and illogical but there it is!

​Just going to occupy myself doing household things..this time next week will be the most difficult but this site and posts will and have helped.

It is like having a smile sent to me.

​Ali

• Posted

Dearest Alice ... I don't think that there is anyone ridiculing you here - I am sure that you tried everything and more to have this dibiltating issue taken care of ... and also that you have done everything to get reimbursement for your surgery ... 

Now, I am not sure if I understand it correctly ... do you have to pay for everything? surgery and hospital stay or hospital stay in private room? 

sending you light and love -

renee

• Posted

Aww Ali,

I requested, and got, my own room 2nd time around in the NHS hospital. Most wards have single cubicles and are available on request. I was warned beforehand that if anyone with a real need came in for surgery I might not get one (I.e. Infection reasons) which I didn't have then I might not get one but as you have a medical and physical requirement for one then you would have been given priority over the likes of me who merely preferred my own company. 

No one should be dismissing your fear as something silly as everyone has fears about something, some of which are incomprehensible to others. A phobia is a phobia, no matter what it is and should be treated with respect and understanding. 

I'm so sorry that you have gone ahead with this without really looking into the possibilities to assist you (I'm a senior medical secretary in the NHS working for 3 cancer consultants) and I know there are always things that we can do to resolve these issues. You would have been guaranteed your own room, I'm certain of that.

Anyway, what is the most important thing is that you get this op done and if this is what it takes for you to go ahead then it will be money well spent. Your recovery will be helped by you going into this in a good frame of mind and you working yourself into a state of major distress beforehand isn't going to do you any good whatsoever.

We are all rooting for you 😊 

Take care.

Ali xx

• Posted

You are right..I knew about the possibility of having a side wardon the NHS and my very understanding surgeon said he would do his best but couldn't be guaranteed for the reasons you also quoted. Salisbury Hospital have been brilliant in its care in all sections..pre op/joint school and I have written to say this as we are all too quick to be complainers but the hospital and all the staff and all levels were kindness itslelf...but i could not take the chance that I would not be able to have a room due o other patients being in greater medical need.  Lets home the Private hospital will be as good!.  As I have said I cannot keep saying enough how very important this site is being to the lead up to next Monday!  I have been given valium to take to prevent me cancelling again but have not felt the need to take and I believe it is because of posts such as yours and others.

​Greatful Thanks.

​Ali

• Posted

I'm pleased that we seem to be reassuring you in some ways and I'm sure the others will agree with me when I say I hope we can continue to do the same between now and next Monday. If necessary, I would be more than happy to share mobile numbers with you, as I know we aren't available on here 24/7 and if you were to be having any major meltdowns (I'm sure we can help you avoid that on here) I would be more than happy to try and offer you reassurance if you were unable to find that quickly on here. It's what I do every day in my job and a skill that I find useful outside of the workplace too at times.

Anyway, I think you have got this thing nailed now but the offer is there should you feel it might be of benefit to you.

Take care.

Ali xx

• Posted

Gosh Ali.1...I will think it over. I feel almost on a high..hope bubble stays blown up!

Ali 2

• Posted

Alice, welcome to the forum. I accept your explanation of your phobia. It is what it is and it is nothing new as a psychological response to your current situation. As you said it is longstanding and you can't get rid of it, so instead you have adapted your life around it. I do feel sorry for you but on this forum because we are all ananomys it frees you up to speak honestly. The anonymity is actually very freeing.

my fist post, and I only found this forum the day I got home from the hospital, my first post I think had a subject line of, "Jesus Christ when is this pain going to end!" I was surprised the moderators didn't delete it but they didn't. about 12 hours after I posted that my GP made a house call and I was all right then as he had given me codeine. 

Getting back ask to your phobia, I think before I would put down my hard earned savings I would make an appointment with a psychiatrist and get the psychiatrist to prescribe a private room. A phobia is a medical condition so I would think your health services would have to obey that doctors orders.

actially I barely looked up anything about a THR, I just relied on my surgeon, I didn't really investigate any details at all, just tried to not think about it till the day of. 

If if you have good neighbors I think you will do fine. The only other "perk" is a reclining chair, electric recliners are the best of course. But I never had one and I got along fine. The main thing is, is if your bed and kitchen and bathroom are all on the same floor. If your bedroom is upstairs you can ask a neighbor to move your bed downstairs for you temporarily. Even a moving company would relocate your bed for you at a very limited cost, just ask. Perhaps this is not an issue in your housing, just thought Inwould throw it out there. Please do continue to post we want to support you any way we can. We can't do that unless you post.

one other thing to keep in mind and prepare for, all of us had periods of mild depression after the surgery. It doesn't last to long for some of us a day or two now and then during recovery, so if you feel yourself sliding into a mild depression know that that is normal and that you will come back out of it. Do like we all did, come on here and say that you are feeling down. We'll help, we will.

• Posted

Jodi  NOt sure If I have already replied to your post..but thank you for your empathy..re my phobia...  I have tried hypnosis as well as being referred for Cognitive Behavior Therapy...no good. as you have to put yourslef in the siuation where the phobia might be..and there is no way i would do that.

​I have wonderful neighbours and I have a bungelow so all on same level.  Thanks too for the info about possible depression after.. i think I will be so relieved it is over I will be alright..hopefully..I am practising feeding the cats with the grabber...a lot goes on the floor at the moment and as for that 'She Wee' disaster at first attempt to use it..hey ho..the things we do..and talk about!  Pre op tomorrow and pre physio.......

​Alice x 

• Posted

Hello Ali,

I just wanted to send my good wishes and sympathies. I too have a phobia about being sick and totally understand what you feel like. I think I'm lucky in that mine is less severe that yours, but I've not been sick since I was 9 years old and am terrified it happening. I can cope with other people's sickness but not my own. Getting through two pregnancies was a challenge! I hope all goes well with your surgery. I'm sure you will be very well taken care of. I'm guessing that you are avoiding a general anaesthetic to avoid the risk of sickness? That's my plan.

All best

Angela

• Posted

So the She-Wee was a disaster on your first try? I think you can spare us the details, LOL! 

Would it help you to put the cat food in little baggies, individual sized portions if it is dry cat food?

• Posted

How wonderful and gracious of you to offer your support & phone .

you are very special ! 

Who  knows what could become of this mabe a great friendshipbiggrin

• Posted

Yes I am getting better practising with grabber..feeding ther cats that is.

x

• Posted

Gosh to meet soemone with same phobia is comforting.  I have not been sick since I was 10..now 66.  GP has gien me anti sickness meds and yes that is one of the reasons for an epidural. I know about pregnacies but altho I was 3 times pregnant didn't not reach term.  Might have cured me tho.. 

When are you having your op?  Mine on Monday!

​Alice

• Posted

Yes, it is oddly comforting isn't it, to know you are not alone, or mad! It's not something I talk about a great deal, but I know that my reactions are different from the majority for whom sickness is just unpleasant. I'm sorry to hear about your pregnancies, though. 

My op isn't until September 16, assuming all goes ahead without cancellation - I'm on the NHS, so am expecting the worst. My pre-op nasal swab showed up some MSSA, so I'm having to clear that up with antibacterial treatment, but it should be clear in time.

I do hope that all goes well with your surgery on Monday, in all possible ways. Do let us know.

All best

Angela

• Posted

Hi Angela,  When I am post op I will write allthe comforting and useful things to you that I have seen on this forum.  I will keep looking on here till Monday! Not taking laptop in to hospital as have no idea how to log in on another wi fi but it wll be the first thing I do when I get home.

Keep chins up as I am trying to do now..##Alice

• Posted

Hi ALice -

I don;t think you need to do anything to get your laptop connected to hospital WiFi --- or someone kind will help you for sure ...

just wanted to let you know ....

hugs

renee

• Posted

Hi Alice,

I'm sure that Renee is right, and that someone will help you log on to the hospital wi-fi. I've been told not to bring any valuables in with me since there is nowhere secure to store them, so I will be out of touch for the duration of my stay.

Keep logging in here until Monday, and keep the faith. All will be well,

Angela

• Posted

Thank you Angela..It will be lovely when I get home ( 13th) to read all the positive and soothing comments.

Let m eknow how you get on too.

Alice

• Posted

Dear Alice,

I hope the weekend is passing as well as it can for you. I see from another post that you are taking a small dose of valium to keep the anxiety down. I hope that is working and that Monday comes quickly for you. Keep focused on how wonderful it will be to be free of the hip pain.

My plans are going a bit awry at the moment as my normally fit and healthy husband is unwell and we are anxious that he isn't going to be able to look after me as planned. 

Angela

• Posted

Dear Angela.  I am sorry to hear about your husband.  Added stress for both of you actually.  I hope it isn't serious.  I am told, and assured, I can manage on my own when I come homeso hopefully you could unless you are having to look after your husband too which would be very difficuot for you. But is nice if you could have someone actually there as moral support.  let m eknow how you are both getting on.  I have had 2 2mg valium one this  morning and one just nice..it doesn't prevent the onsluaght of butterflies but must be doing something!

Neighbours coming in a minute to see my cat feeding regime..laid out for a week!

​Alice

• Posted

Hi Angela,

I hope this is nothing serious with your husband and doesn't jeopardise your op. Lots of people manage at home on their own but whilst you may be able to manage without his assistance, it isn't going to be so easy if you have to look after him too. That would be quite impossible.

Fingers crossed that whatever is ailing him is short lived, both for him and for you and that you can go ahead as planned. 

Take care.

Ali x

• Posted

Hi Ali 2,

I hope today finds you calm and cool as a cucumber and I have to say, it sounds to me like you are doing ok. The dose of Valium your doc has you on is very small so if you are doing as well as you appear to be, that is very good news indeed! 

Only tomorrow to get through then you're there, safe in the knowledge that you have us lot willing you on and sending more get well wishes than would be needed for new hips on a centipede! Haha.

Thinking of you, as always.

Ali 1 xx

• Posted

Thanks Alice,

It's a, so far, undiagnosed gastric problem that's been going on for about four weeks now. He's now reacting to medication. He has a referral to the consultant but - thanks NHS - it's not for over a month yet. He's normally my rock, and so this is all a bit disconcerting, as much for him as for me.  I've prepared lots of food, as I'm the main cook, but I'm the driver and may not be able to get him to appointments if needed. I'm sure we will cope, it's just all messing with my head at the moment.

Keep keeping busy! The butterflies are to be expected. They haven't quite got to me yet.

Angela

• Posted

Thank you Ali for your kind message. We're not too sure what it is - often the worst bit of any illness- but I don't think I'll need to look after him. However, we're going to the GP on Monday (he's having adverse reactions to medicines, with dizziness amongst other things) so I'm going to ask about any support for if he gets worse. As you and Alice say, though, I'm sure we'll get through it. There are lots of brave people living alone who do.

Angela

• Posted

Hi Angela,

Not all NHS trusts work the same way but being a consultants secretary myself, if someone rang me and explained your situation, I know I would have no hesitation, and neither would my consultant, in ensuring your hubby was seen as a matter of urgency.

It's worth a try, give the secretary a ring. You may well get him seen a lot sooner. 

Good luck.

Ali x

• Posted

Hi Ali 1

I really want a huge glass of red wine but won't  but will have another valium ( very low dose) before bed.  Lovely neighbours have just been to go through cat feeding regime.  I am strangely calmer than I thought as if well its happening..House spotless nice freshly changed bed etc etc.  Tomorrow might be tricky....I am safe andam deeply comforted by your and others posts..and also seing how others are coping..like Angela with additonal unexpected problems.

​Ali 2   x

• Posted

It's great to know you have such nice neighbours. Are they happy to help out with other things to help you for the first couple of weeks until you are feeling a bit better on your feet? It's very reassuring if they can.

I would have tempted with a glass of wine (not red though, I'm strictly a white gal). My hubby makes his own and we have nigh on 100 bottles of different kinds in our shed. I hope it never catches fire as the fire brigade would never be able to put out the flames haha. I'm waiting until 6 weeks when I have my check up. Then I will treat myself to a glass of his delicious white burgundy. It's very potent so will just have the one.

Have a lovely refreshing sleep tonight and we shall catch up again soon.

Ali 1 xx

• Posted

Thank you Ali for this practical suggestion from your inside knowledge. I'll see what can be done. We were getting ourselves a bit overanxious last night about it all and I had decided that he should go for a private consultation. I'll try this first.
    • Posted

Hi Ali 2. I'm also denied the recourse to a nice glass of red wine since it just makes me sick when I'm taking co-codamol as well. Given a choice between the  two at the moment, it has to be the co-codamol, but I'm looking forward to being able to enjoy a nice glass or two after this is all over.

You sound as though you have got your house in good order - it will be lovely to return to afterwards. I have lots of work to do, for work, before my operation next week. It's beginning to feel a bit like a count down now, so I doubt my house will be looking quite so spick and span.

Warm wishes, and a virtual hug, for your last day with that painful hip. I'll wait to hear from you on the other side.

Angela

• Posted

No problem Angela,

Make sure you press home about how anxious it is making you both. If it is preventing you both from eating/sleeping properly then tell the secretary this. Anxiety is not good on the run up to a major op like a hip replacement

Good luck.

Ali x

• Posted

Thanks Ali, this is really helpful. One final question - is there an easy way to contact a consultant's secretary. The phone numbers seem to be privileged information. If we call the hospital, will they even put me through?

Thanks

angela

• Posted

Hi ANgela, 

​I have just had a long chat to a lovely 'hippie' on this site called Dot.. who has calmed me down and made me better able to cope..today tho am taking the valium.  Case packed..a bit like going back to boarding school.

I will very much look forwarsd to talking to you end of next week when it will be over for both of us.

Hugs

Ali 2

• Posted

Thanks Ali 1...I might loose weight then if I don't have any wine for 6 weeks..

​See you 'soon' Hope to be home on the 12th.

Ali 2

• Posted

Hi Ali,

I'm so pleased to hear you have been able to chat to someone who has been through it. The valium should help you get through the rest of the day too. I hope you manage to get a good night's sleep. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. You will be in very good hands.

Angela

x

• Posted

Hi Angela,

The phone numbers should not be privileged information. They should be widely available.

If you have a copy of a clinic letter from the consultant, the direct line number should be on there. If you don't have that, then if you go on the trust website it should have a who's who of departments with the name of your hubby's consultant and the number to contact his secretary. Failing that, if you just ring the main switchboard and ask to speak to Dr ********* secretary in Gastroenterology (I'm assuming it's a gastro consultant he's under) then they should be able to put you through but before you get put through, ask for the secretary's name and direct line (we all have one) just so you don't have to go through switchboard every time. A less than knowledgeable switchboard operator can have you put through to several different people before you get through to who you really need to speak to.

If I can be of any more assistance then please just shout up.

Good luck.

Ali xx

• Posted

Thank you so much, Ali, for taking the time to write such a detailed reply. The clinic letter only has a generic Choose and book number on it (0345). I've tracked down the consultant from her name - at least I have that - but there is no contact information at all. It doesn't help that she works for at least three hospitals. Clearly this trust likes to control very tightly who has access to the consultants. I don't even have the number for my own ortho consultant, just the booking clerk's number.

Anyway, I'll have a go through the main switchboard tomorrow.

Thanks again,

Angela

• Posted

Hi Angela....not long for me and will be over this time tomorrow and I will be able to reassure other 'pre op hippies.  Incidently I think I am getting credit for useful posts from another Alice..Ali2301 (I call her Ali 1 and myself Ali 2)

​But helpful to read all the replies.

Night All.

Ali 2

• Posted

Thinking of you Ali-2

Actually just try not to think about it.

Nothing to do now but suck it up and be stoic and just take whatever comes. Close your eyes and picture yourself on a warm sandy beach with clear blue waters. Dream a little...

{{{hugs}}}

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.