Hip pain and spasms after total knee replacement

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had a total knee replacement of the left knee and I am now 16 days post-op.  The moment I woke up from anaesthetic I had terrible pain in my hip joint and cannot get rid of it. I alternate heat and ice, stretching, massaging and changing positions regularly but it is almost unbearable to sit. It is especially bad at night and I battle to get enough sleep. Sometimes the spasm moves into the thigh - mostly side and back of thigh.  My knee is not a problem at all and I take short walks indoors troughout the day.  Has anybody else experienced the same or has any advice?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Meraai

I'm ten weeks post op and have pain everywhere in the leg apart from my knee.  Dont think it has ever been as bad as your describing, maybe you need to get it checked out.  Nights are always the worst and lack of sleep was and still is a problem for me. Mega stiffness in the morning too. But if I exercise gently before I get up out of bed its not quite as bad, nor is it as bad when I was at your stage.

Get the hip checked out and stay strong

Ann

• Posted

You said as soon as you woke up from the anaesthetic you had pain in your hip. Did you not mention it the hospital staff?
    • Posted

I did mention it to the staff and at first they thought it was very funny because I didn't have anything done to the hip.  However, pain control in hospital masked a lot of the pain and it really hit hard when I got home and I had to get along without the pethidine injections at night.  I am seeing the doctor on Thursday and will take it up with him.
    • Posted

Whilst it’s not my place to speculate, it does sound like they have damaged/pinched a nerve.  I hope your doctor will do something positive for you as there is nothing worse than being in pain and no-one believing you.  Wishing you the very best of luck.
  • Posted

If you felt it that early after your surgery you might want to get it checked. It might be a dislocation of the hip or something. But usually they do an X-ray immediately after to ensure things are good. However, I had the exact same thing but not immediately after. I was sure that my hip was gone...it turned out to be the hamstrings. I had massage about 4 times and it was all good. I'm 14 months and still working on it. I'd say I'm as good as I'm going to get. Bend not the greatest but I don't have and pain like the grinding I had before surgery. Keep on working at it but when in doubt, check it out. 
    • Posted

By this time i am sure it has something to do with thight muscles, because the pain is not only in the hip now and knots from in the muscles in different places.  Massage helps but as soon as I am in one position for too long (like sleeping at night) it tightens up again.Patience....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.