Hip popping

Posted , 6 users are following.

Anyone out there having the same issues as me? Am I on my own?

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Mine used to once in a while.  I think that the hip exercises that they gave me before the hip operation helps me.  I think that it builds up the muscles around the joint and helps.  I had op. June 2015. 
    • Posted

These are the exercises that I do:

1.lay in bed a flex feet & point toes - 20 times

2.Quad sets: Lie on back, tighten muscles on front of thighs. hold 5 sec. do 20 times

3.Gluteal sets (butt squeezes) lay on back & tighten butt muscles

Hold 5 sec. 20 times

4.Abduction & adduction (slide heels out & in) Lie on back & slide legs out to the side, hold 5 sec. slide legs  back again, repeat 20 times

5. Heel slides - lie on bed, slide heel toward your bottom, hold for 5 sec. repeat 20 times

6. Short Arc Quads: lie on back, put a rolled up towel under thigh, straighten knee. hold 5 sec. repeat 20 times

7. Knee Extension - sit in chair and straighten knee, hold 5 sec. repeat 20 times

8. Standing heel raises - hold onto chair & raise up on toes then back down 20 times

9. Mini squats: 20 times

10.Standing Knee Flexion: Stand & hold on to back of chair, bend knee up behind you, straighten to fll stand, hold 5 sec. repeat 20 times.

Hope that they exercises help you!

• Posted

Mine squeaked a bit in the summer - haven't heard it since, and no popping noises.

• Posted

I don't actually hear a popping sound it just flips in and out if I'm in a certain position, I do so much exercise that I'm obviously not strengthening the hip itself so I'd like any suggestions if any that I can start doing

• Posted

Hi Maggers, i'm 6 months post op and yes mine still pops. My husband could hear it last week when we went out for a walk! Its not every step but every so often it pops for a few steps.  Told my surgeon at  6 week check and he said it was normal.  He doesn't want to see me until August so i presume it is normal.

• Posted

Thank you Christine do you have pain when it pops? I don't have any pain it just feels alien and I'm sure by now after 4 years it should have settled. If your surgeon says it's normal then I guess it is. Thanks for your reply

• Posted

No pain, but but i can feel something. Not quite sure how to describe it. But can definitly hear it when it goes.  I will be asking him again though when i see him next.
  • Posted

This sounds a strange thing to ask but where do people hear the hip pop? I am at 8 months now post THR and I hear the sound come up through my neck
    • Posted

I can't actually hear it popping it's like if you can imagine someone having a double jointed shoulder that they can pop out and in at will, so it's not actually a popping noise and when I sit with straight legs if I bend forward like trying to put my head on my knees it does it then too so I sit back up and it goes back in.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.