Hip replacement

Posted , 10 users are following.

Did anyone else suffer electrical surgical burns during their hip replacement? There may be minimal damage on the skin that mostly heals within three weeks but the pain can appear in all muscle groups, nerves, hands and feet over the following months/years. I would be interested in speaking to anyone else who has also suffered these terrible injuries.

2 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Tell us more. I have never heard of anything like that at all
  • Posted

hi kim ,

sounds serious and i\I would also like to hear more - 

can you share more, please

thank you

renee

• Posted

No Kim, I have not heard of this. Has this happened to you? 
  • Posted

Hi Kim

like the others, never heard of it.  What does it actually mean, what are the after affects, and how exactly do you get them??

carol😄 xx

• Posted

Hi everyone yes unfortunately I suffered horrendous burns during my hip replacement and came out feeling as if I had been skinned. They told me I had a reaction to the iodine but sadly for me I had massive internal electrical thermal burns all over my body including my mouth and face. In fact anywhere I has any equipment placed on me. Due to being a massive mistake I have been treated appallingly and denied any care. The reason this happened to me is they put the dispersive plate over a scar and they used alcoholic iodine and being covered with a bair hugger to keep me warm during surgery they failed to notice when I ignited. I am nearly three years on and am so pleased to still be alive. Thank you all for allowing me to share this......it has been so isolating 
  • Posted

I am so sorry to hear that this had happened to you. I have read of others on this site who suffered the burns you describe.

Try to use the search box on this sit to find others who have had similar experiences.

I hope all goes well for you soon. After all we have no choice other than hip replacement and never expect any of the complications.,

Heaing blessings sent your way.

• Posted

Oh Kim that's terrible. I hope you were compensated in some way, or even an apology?

Hope you are able to get on with your life now. 

🌈💌🌈💌

• Posted

No I never received an apology and certainly no compensation. When you are a surgical injury you are denied investigations and care due to the protection of professional reputations.

It would be really good to speak to someone who has had an external burn visible post surgery and indescribable pain.

Please do not let what happened to me put you off of surgery but if you have not yet had your surgery please ask the hospital to show you their guidelines for the use of electrosurgical equipment and evidence that the staff have had recent and on going training in this and a guarantee not to use alcoholic skin preparation. Best wishes 

• Posted

That's certainly not how things are dealt with where I am in Australia.  The processes involve open disclosure and at minimum an apology. Mistakes do happen and for many reasons.

I'm sorry to hear about what happened to you and hope you can somehow put it behind you.

🌈💌🌈💌

• Posted

This sounds terrible, Kim.  Very sorry to hear it.  It's almost unbelievable that you should have been dealt with in this way when this is clearly only something that can happen if they've done something wrong/failed to follow the correct procedures.... 

Where are you?  If in the UK you should be following his up with the Health Ombudsman, if you've had no joy from your NHS Trust/local Healthwatch - the Citizen's Advice Bureau will give you chapter and verse on this.  

Horrible to think that you have been suffering like this.  Hope you're on the mend as best as you can be.

• Posted

You certainly should be able to complain. Not too sure but I think you have up to 3 years to make a formal complaint. As has been said the CAB is one place to go besides the ombudsman. Has you hospital got a PALS service, if so make an appointment and go and see them. Take someone with you and any photographs of the external injuries. Your notes should also be available and you do have a right to see them, though they may charge. I would think that the event was investigated as a serious incident within the hospital, ask to see that as well. If they did not investigate, why not? I work in hospital labs and know that all incidents are investigated, for instance wrong name on samples when the right name is on request samples.
  • Posted

I am in the UK and unfortunately i have not tried the ombusman because i had a solicitor until last month; they have however closed the case now because no consultant would give me a diagnosis or allow me to have the investigations to diagnose the systemic damage.
  • Posted

Re my notes. My operation sheet is missing and the entry where I asked for my burns to be documented is missing. The written discharge summary had no name on it and put I was discharged three hours after I had actually arrived home. They have 'lost' my community notes and there are no observations or notes about me for 35 minutes following the surgery.

Thank you so much to everyone who has been in touch.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.