Hip replacement

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had a hip replacement 4 years ago and for the last 6 months have been in bad pain I have cut my hours down to 16 hours a week but not helping as I work a busy bar tried to find another job but nothing about had a X-ray and MRI scan and said everything looks ok they are now going to do  another MRI with blue dye to look closely at it but can't cope with the pain I am on nartiptoline pain killers for night time in bed but only get a couple of hours sleep I am at the end of my tether with it anyone got any ideas what it could be please thankyou for reading 😥

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I'm probably not going to be too much help but is it the joint that hurts and does it get worse when full weight on it??

• Posted

Thank you for your reply Yes it's. worse putting full weight onit and my groin and hip joint hurts

• Posted

That sounds rather more like muscle or tendon damage, possibly nerve damage, and may be completely unrelated to the fact it is the operated hip. If the MRI doesn't find anything, you could ask for an ultrasound which will show up soft tissue damage. With soft tissue damage the problem is that if you don't rest  it out does  get worse.

I'm not a doctor, but I would question the prescription of nortriptyline. It's only useful for some neuropathic pains, and it isn't any form of painkiller! So it isn't surprising that it isn't stopping the pain. It's also not a drug you really want to be taking as a routine unless you really need it, and without a diagnosis you don't know that you do. I'm surprised at a doctor for prescribing it "blind". I am on a similar medication for spinal stenosis, and no way would they consider giving it to me until they had confirmed a diagnosis. It should also be carefully monitored due to very unpleasant side effects. I would suggest that you speak to your doctor about appropriate pain relief to support you until they know what is going on.

• Posted

hi susan,  warm welcome to the hippies forum ... so sorry to hear about the pain you are in ... when will you get the MRI with blue dye?  will it be soon?I don't know what to tell you - Are you walking with a cane or something to support the painful hip? Please come back to let us know the outcome of the MRI, okay ...big warm hugrenee 

• Posted

Having done bar work & having had hip surgery, I CAN NOT IMAGINE DOING BAR WORK POST OP! 

The lack of sleep is likley adding to your pain...

Can you try taking a leave to rest the painful area?

I'd dump the 'painkillers', since they aren't working anyway.

Maybe some accupuncture could give you some relief?

You likely have some great skills - maybe you could work in a consuting capacity for a while? 

Also, if you use alcohol, I'd stop for a while and see if that helps...

• Posted

Good advice on the alcohol - especially since it seriously doesn't do well with the meds mentioned here! But I'd suggest not acupuncture without a diagnosis. Acupuncture is wonderful in its place, especially as a pain reliever - but it can make things worse if it is administered without knowing what the problem is. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.