Hip Replacement advice please?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi Everyone. I being admitted on 3/12/2015 for total left hip replacement after having right hip done ten years ago.

​I am quite anxious as I worry about the future, in terms of my 10 year old right hip replacement and what if it starts to give me probs, and I will have a replaced left hip also soon?? I know alot of patients must have two replacement hips, so just wondered if any of you wish or can share your encouragement/stories etc? On a more immediate note, it still seems that advice is not to sit lower than 90 degrees or than waist etc after op, particularly cementless replacement hip. Can I ask how people got home from hospital if ambulance not provided? It is just I am feeling worried about dislocation etc and having to get into a car a few days after my op seems a bit of a challenge, particularly in relation to bending and lowering myself/my hip etc etc???? I would be really grateful for any advice specifically and/or general support/encouragement etc as I am beginning to crumble a bit emotionally and mentally as the 3 December 2015 draws ever closer!!!!!!! I am aged 57 and will be having epidural/spinal block and staying awake for op. Thanks & Take Care everybody, Best Wishes from Cuchillo

3 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

hello, I can understand your anxiety, I'm 3 weeks post op and was in such a nervous state, than God it's all over, and the op was nothing in comparison with the fear and anxiety.

i got a car (mini cab) back home after op, sat along the back seat with my legs up on the seat, a pillow behind my back and a pillow under my knees which were slightly bent. I travelled like that for 80 miles home to London from Southampton.

• Posted

Hi, thank you so much for taking time to write me some reassuirng and helpful advice. Your kindness is very much appreciated. Take Care & Best Wishes, Many Thanks Cuchillo
  • Posted

Cuchillo

Your concerns are absolutely normal and you should be more worried if you didn't have them! If you do a search on Google for post op hip replacement exercises there is one really useful guide from the Royal Berkshire NHS hospital that has a lot of really helpful information about the things you're concerned about.

Good luck

Alan

• Posted

Hi Cuchillo

Getting home from Hospital.

In my area, if you can not provide your own transport, NHS will provide, either Ambulance or Voluntary driver.

Best of luck for next week, and rapid recovery.

• Posted

My first is 15 years and still going strong there is just a little wear on the plastic liner. Had my second in April this year.

Got home in a car no problem after 3 nights in hospital - just had a cushion on the seat - staff reminded me how to get in and out properly.

I'm 62 and had epidural and was awake - all was fine. Very nervous at first though -  my blood pressure rising considerably while they were doing the epidural. I was much calmer after that was done and the operation didn't bother me at all. You do hear and smell things but I felt like a bystander. the only thing was I was freezing at first and had a warming blanket. Great recoveringmuch more  quickly though than a general.

• Posted

Aw don't be stressing. You will leave the hospital very able bodied. A nurse brought me down & showed me how to get into the passenger seat. If you have to travel in a different car you can bring a cushion &/or slider sheet. The physios in the hospital & your occupational therapist will arrange whatever you need once you get home.
    • Posted

Slider sheet is so useful when you first get into a car - or a plastic carrier bag will do.

Graham

• Posted

Dear Cuchillo, 

warm welcome to our hippies family where we share our personal stories , the good, the not so good and bad -

you are right about the 90 degree rule - after surgery, this restriction will be in place for some time - as mentioned here, physical therapist will work with you in hospital and teach you how to get in-/out of bed, chair, walk,do stairs, etc ...

like you, I was very apprehensive about going home - my girlfriend piced me uo in her car, had a big cushion wrapped in bin liner on the seat  so it could slide and turn over seat - getting in was a wee bit challenging, to be honest, but ask them to show you okay ... the magic word here is Patience and slow ---

is there anyone who will be able to take you to and pick you up from the hospital ?  

Is have a epidural./spinal your choice? If not, maybe you can discuss it with anaesthesist ...

I can't tell you about your old hip ... I had 2 THR surgeries this year, done within 6 monthe from each other ... Try not to worry about that right now - 

do you have all the aids at home ? you know, the grabber, raised toiletseat etc?

come back here when you have any questions or concerns, okay?

big warm hug

renee

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.