Hip replacement anxiety

Posted , 19 users are following.

Anxiety just getting worse cannot eat drink properly so been to the docs for something to calm me , did anyone else need medication??? I feel such a failure.

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Mary.  You are not a failure.  We are all different but you are most certainly not a failure.  Have you had your surgery yet or do you have a date for it?  Ray
    • Posted

Surgery date March 2nd, it not just the surgery that's making me anxious but the whole recovery time as well. I know I should be grateful for the op and I will get better but just can't help the negativity.

thanks for your kind words.

• Posted

Hi Mary.  You will be in the hands of consumate professionals who do these procedures week in week out.  But you are an individual and I bet you'll have strengths where I hqave weaknesses.  I'm now 4 months post surgery.  I was able to return to work 7 weeks after the op & I can honestly say the difference in be this year compared to last year is amazing.  Go for it girl & let all your friends pamper you & encourage you. 

• Posted

Hi Mary

I just joined the forum yesterday. I don,t have a date yet but keep watching the post. Like you I am pretty terrified if everything. Recovery, problems, and wake up during the night worrying. I get so annoyed with friends trying to reassure me saying, oh its routine blah. It doesnt feel routine to me. So dont feel a failure for being scared. Anyway, just wanted to say I was touched by the support to my first post yesteday and good wishes, and good answers. I just wanted to say I understand and am really scared too, good luck for the 2nd!

• Posted

You are not a failure.  Anxiety is the pits!  They give you stuff in the hospital to combat it, so why not before.  Some people need more pain meds than others - it doesn't matter as long as the job gets done!

• Posted

Surgery date March 2nd, it not just the surgery that's making me anxious but the whole recovery time as well. I know I should be grateful for the op and I will get better but just can't help the negativity.

• Posted

Hi Mary,

Sorry your feeling this way,I was just like that too,I didn't get medication but felt like asking the gp.i had awful nightmares about the op too. please don't feel a failure it's perfectly normal to feel this way. I'm a 11 days post op now.im not sure where you are? I had my done under GA which for me personally was better as I had no recollection of the op,I believe the option of spinal is offered withvsedation as well

Try not to worry,hope everything goes well for you.

Nicky

• Posted

Hi mary

Please dont ever feel like a failure! We all cope in different ways and if you need something for anxiety dont be afraid to take it!

Where are you and are you waiting to get your hip done! Please give more details!

I am 5 and half weeks after getting left hip replaced and the recovery is amazing!

Been pain free and not walking around bent and just beginning to realise how much i had let my like revolve around pain is amazing

If you have any questions please ask! We can all help here on this forum

Hugs

Mary

• Posted

I live in Manchester and my surgery is due to be carried out at wythenshawe hospital,Surgery date March 2nd, it not just the surgery that's making me anxious but the whole recovery time as well. I know I should be grateful for the op and I will get better but just can't help the negativity.

• Posted

Hi Mary  I'm thinking of you and kind of feel the same but I know that the surgery is the right thing.  My op is on 1st March - not looking forward to the immediate recovery time but looking further ahead to things i couldn't do now.

virtual hug x

• Posted

Thanks Molly I think I am going to really need the support of this forum
    • Posted

Hi

?Did you get anxiety attacks post surgery? Am in third week post surgery...suffering anxiety last 5 days or so..worry about stuff like 'will I get to sleep?' or how can I sleep given the sleeping position constraints? Tonight simply can't get to sleep. Head seems alive. Just knowing if you went through anything like this ...or of others...would help

• Posted

Normal what you are feeling. The hardest part is waiting for the surgery. After that, it just gets better over time. Relax. Smile.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.