Hip Replacement Complete!

Posted , 17 users are following.

Well everyone, I had my hip replaced yesterday (4/5/2016) and all would seem good.  After my last post I kind of dropped off the forum as I was constantly trying to convince myself that I was making a mistake and that I should be trying to delay things until I could no longer walk / function. However I just focused on the reasons I was doing it and my family and friends were great in reminding me how much I have struggled for the last 4 years. What also didn't help was that my pain levels dropped off in the week before surgery. I told my surgeon this on the day and he assured me it was mind over matter... or something to that effect!

​The day of surgery wasnt great as I had to be in at 7:30 and surgery was at 13:00 which was a long time to be sat with my thoughts. So much so when my surgeon came round I found myself quite emotional which I didnt expect. Anyway he talked me through things and assured me this was the right course of action as the x-rays showed my hip to be in a terrible state and he actually came in to the recovery area and told me the joint was in a dire state. So I am happy I made the right decision!

​I managed to get through the first night with the help of some super strong morphine and, unfortunately, the dreaded catheter was required! Today I have seen a multitude of people.  The main shock to the system was being sat up and made to take a few steps with the zimmer frame and finding my leg weak and unresponsive.  I can see a long road to recovery ahead of me, but what is life without its challenges?

My aim is to be able to go to Muncih in 4 months time for the Octoberfest and maybe, just maybe, be back on the golf course again!

David.

7 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I played a round of Golf at 4 months pain free and went on a week long cruise at 11 weeks. First 3 weeks are the worse. Hang in there
    • Posted

Things will get better from now on. Dont let anything that happens in the first few weeks discourage you. What may seem like setbacks at this point are probably normal. Take care of yourself, try to eat plenty, use as much drugs as you are allowed to manage pain ( there are no awards for suffering), and get plenty of sleep whenever your body allows it.

Keep us posted on your progress.

• Posted

Thanks Chris. 

​It actually took me until halfway through last night to realise that although they had given me pain meds, if i told them i was sore, they gave me more. Seems like they were holding out on the serious med's.  Now I have that sussed I am controlling pain quite well.

​The leg compression pumps came off earlier.  I'm so glad they have gone!

​I'll keep you all updated on my progress smile

• Posted

Good luck, it is a year for me today, and I can do pretty much anything I want...I too have Zimmer, and had Anterior approach.
  • Posted

Hi David - so glad to hear all went well with your surgery and that's it's done and over with - next steps now ! Munich sounds like a great goal and will give you something to focus on - good for you xx
  • Posted

Hi David and congratulations for getting to and through the operation!  It sounds as if you had a fabulous surgeon.

Just keep in your head that helping your leg and all its connective tissues relearn their jobs (including working together) is your main job for the next while. And ,... a bit like golf, the amount of practice and strengthening you put into it will determine how well you get to play.

4 months would be optimisitic for meto play golf  but I am a fair bit older than some of the people responding and I am waiting for my other hip to be done (late summer I hope) and too many of my muscles were quite weak pre-op. 

However, at 11 weeks I am walking and doing stairs without a crutch (except when overtired) and walking 2-3 km. So perhaps Steve is not too optimistic.

The first few weeks are the worst for pain and frustrations although the subsequent weeks have their own frustrations as progress does not occur in an altogether straight line. Chris' advice is really good.

Good luck.  I am rooting for you to make your goals.    

• Posted

Thanks Linda,

​I think your right, recovery time will be different for everyone depending on muscle strength etc. prior to surgery.  I'm certainly just going to listen to my body throughout this process. Plus my left side is going to need done within the next couple of years so like you i'll need to go through this again at some point.

​I actually had a bit of an emotional breakdown earlier.  I think the emotions of the last 4 weeks and the surgery finaly got the better of me. I feel better now though smile

David.

• Posted

​I have had a few of those myself David (I think we all have; I remember a post from Graham about this that was very good). It is really a wild rollercoaster ride during which we can learn a lot about ourselves. Patience has not always been my virtue and I got tested sorely several times. And uncertainty about symptoms and progress and outcomes .... oh well. That is part of why this forum is genius - a place to vent, ask for advice or as importantly - share what we have learned or reassure someone else. 

Keep the faith - I want to hear reports from Munich  (I will be in full recovery again then and will need it).!!!

• Posted

Really pleased you've had it done David. As you know, I shared every bit of your uncertainty and apprehension in the run up to my op (6 weeks ago today!) - and felt the same huge sense of relief when my surgeon came to see me pre op to tell me that the joint was a mess! Stay positive - you'll go from strength to strength, day to day... even though you may not always recognise the progress you're making. You WILL go to Munich in 4 months and you'll also be back on that golf course :-) Mark
    • Posted

Hi Mark,

​How are you finding things at 6 weeks? Are you walking more or less without aid now? One thing that surprises me is that even in my inactive state, I can notice the lack of arthritic pain.  For example there is no way I could have sat up in bed for more than 10 minutes without some sort of ache in my hip, thigh or knee let alone a few hours like I am now..

David..

• Posted

I'm doing really well thanks David. And really pleased for you that you're already benefitting from the absence of that arthritic pain! I was told to be only 75% weight bearing for the first 6 weeks, so was only 'released' from both crutches a couple of days ago - that being said, I went immediately to walking unaided in the flat and using just one crutch outside, which is going really well. Walked three miles to the physio and back on Wednesday - I felt it at the end, but in a good way :-) Hoping to start back at the gym this weekend on the stationary bike, in the pool and doing some upper body stuff. Maybe I've been lucky, but I've had relatively little 'pain' during the recovery - a lot of swelling, stiffness, aches and soreness... but all to be expected and very copable with. There's still a long way to go on getting full range of motion back, but I think things are going pretty well. I know everyone's recovery is different, but I firmly believe that a positive mental approach to things plays a massive part in everyone's recovery - particularly when things don't go as smoothly as you'd like them to, which on some days they almost certainly won't :-) So stay positive buddy and reach out if you need a bit of encouragement at any time. By the way, like you my other hip needs doing, but isn't really giving me any significant problems at the moment - so let's hope we can both wait a few years before needing to repeat the process. All the best and hope you get up and about today... Mark
    • Posted

Hi Mark,

​They had me up and about on crutches today and I feel like I have run a marathon now.  I have a night of lying on my bed watching TV ahead of me!  So far I have had a lot of pain but I seem to have been taking less pain meds today.  Its really just stiffness and swelling now. The consultant was in earlier and is really pleased with my progress.  He expects me to get home tomorrow!  I guess thats where the real challenge begins (no raising beds, nurses etc.).

I'll keep you and everyone else posted smile

David.

• Posted

Glad you're up and about David (in a hip replacement kind of a way!) and heading home today - that's great! It may be a bit challenging at first, but once you work out procedures for doing everything and just accept that it's all part of the process, I think you'll be fine :-) Do you have support at home or will you be flying solo? All the best whatever - will be looking forward to hearing how you're doing. Mark
  • Posted

Well done David.  The hardest part is over.  Now the first few days are pretty challenging and you will have times when you think..What have I done? ... but just give it time and you will be surprised how quickly you recover.  Rejoice in all the small victories each day.  I  went to Venice at 10 weeks and walked loads and I was fine.  You will get to Oktoberfest I have no doubt al all.

Take it easy for the first few weeks and alow yourself to heal.

BW

Alison x

• Posted

Thanks Alison.

​I had my first "what have i done to myself" experience at tea time tonight. It also doesn't help that all the nurses etc. (as nice and helpful as they are) keep saying to me that I am so young to have a hip replacement (40yrs old) and what could have caused it.  As though I havent wondered that over the last 4 years leading up to this moment....  I just laugh it off though as I know that they dont understand or know my feelings on the situation smile

​David.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.