Hip replacement diet

Posted , 6 users are following.

so, I lost 35lb pre op. I'm now 10 days post op and I'm very worried about piling the weight back on now that I'm not mobile, has anybody got any tips, I know I need the energy for recouperation but I want to strike the right balance, I am very prone to put on weight, and despite losing pre op I am still overweight by 20lb

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Don't  worry about dieting until you can walk miles again. Be conscious of what you eat. High protein, calcium rich foods, etc. you need to repair and have bone growth. Worry about dieting after a couple of months. I hear you!!

• Posted

Hi Sam and Congrats on your new hip as well as losing 35lbs!!!  I too have the same battle, but I try to tell myself " if it doesn't go in your mouth it won't go on your body" smile Wishing you a speedy recover, you have doe so much and come so far!!  Debbie is right plently of time to diet, right now your health comes first.

• Posted

I have a tendency to want to munch when I sit in the evening and watch something, so I always try to have some raw vegetables in my fridge. Small carrots, a piece of cabbage, a peeled rudabaga, several stalks of celery--all of these give me much to munch but don't load on extra calories. Also, they're full of good vitamins and they are good for your bowels. 

• Posted

If your body absolutely wants sweet, you can eat watermelons, apples, cherries--whatever fruit you like--and if you buy 86% or 90% dark chocolate it has very little sugar, so you can actually have a piece of that.
    • Posted

Also, make sure you have some meat (protein) every day--if you don't have enough protein, you may feel hungry. Just don't overdo it and get carried away--if you've had your meat and still feel like munching, go for the veggies!

• Posted

I don't have anything to add here but want to say I completely understand, Sam.  I struggle with weight too and have always done my best with it when I am really physically active.  It's very hard to sit most of the day and not eat!  I do try to make sure all the food I eat is healthy and doing my body good.  I'm knitting baby hats and when I knit in the evening, I tend to eat less.  It's a struggle for many of us for sure.  Hugs,  Leslie

• Posted

I too had list weight eating paleo almost totally before surgery

Remind yourself protein cares for u and skip the white stuff

Eat well b well

Dont let your friends bring in stuff u wont eat

Jozie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.