Hip Replacement - Painful Ankle ?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi Hippies,

I had a THR nine weeks ago - saw the surgeon this week, he cleared me for driving, told me to stop using crutches and go onto a walking stick.   My query is - why does my ankle hurt so much, and is it related to the new hip, or just more arthritis?   I mentioned it to the surgeon, but he made no comment, like they do.   Anybody out there going through similar symptoms?   It really hurts but is only very slightly swollen.

Madeleine.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Madeleine.

?I am 9 weeks bi lateral THR and one of my ankles was bad at my review had xray and had sprained it obviously sometime during the beginning of getting in and out of bed.   I purchased an Air Cast support via Amazon for approx £15  and  for a few weeks and it has  healed.  

?Try and find a support that helps you, apparently this is easily done during the first few weeks. 

• Posted

hi madeleine, 

cool that you are cleared for driving !!!  sorry about your ankle --- did this  show up since you're off the crutches and walk with stick? 

if so, you are probably not in balance yet and leaning too much on stick - it is a new way of learning how to walk again ... 

practice walking with stick - not too far, not too long - 

two thumbs up for doing such a great job

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

9 weeks po also. Sometimes I get weird pain somewhere on op leg.  Someone told me to try and walk straight and concentrate walking that way. I do it and it seems to help   
  • Posted

After I had my right hip replaced...and went back to work. My left hip hurt. My right was totally fine! I knew my left hip was bad... not as bad as the right...but still bad. As time went on the left hip got better. But in the beginning I noticed that I constantly leaned on my right foot to get the weight off my bad hip... and then my right foot would hurt...it's been 7 months since my hip replacement. I have NO pain in either hip!! I had lost 25 lbs which has helped!! But I have bad pain in my right foot.. ONLY when I've gotten off my shift from work and get off my feet! But I have no pain walking around or anything ONLY after my shift when it's time to rest...it's weird!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.