Hip Replacement/trip to Disney

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hey everyone....first time posting. Had to lose 50+ pounds before they would operate. 56 year old female....9 lbs from where they want me. I go back in four weeks to see the surgeon. Question is will I be ready for a trip in 8 or 9 weeks? I'm thinking positive and painless. I can get an electric scooter! Thoughts?? 😊

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

first of all congratulations on losing your weight how did you do it? Not sure where you are or how long the journey is. 8 or 9 weeks to go to disneyland I'm not sure. An electric scooter sounds a good idea but it will be long days and you have to remember the 90 degree rule for the first 12 weeks at least, in case of dislocation. On a personal level I am 66 and I would not be taking the trip. Hope this helps Love Gill xxx
    • Posted

Well done on your weight loss. I went to Disney for two weeks prior to surgery after having an injection into my hip to help me. All I can say is that it was the most hectic and exhausting holiday I have ever been on. The heat does not help either. I am now 4 weeks post op after THR and I know that in another 4/5 weeks from now there would be no way I could even consider Disneyland. Do this holiday when you are completely well. It is amazing and you will need all your energy and strength to enjoy it. Best of luck x
    • Posted

Thank you! It does help....I've not heard of the 90 degree rule....what is that? I'm in North Carolina and I'll be flying. Thanks so much!
    • Posted

Oh and I'm using Isagenix....2 shakes per day and a healthy dinner. I love this and will be on it even after losing all the weight I want to lose!!
  • Posted

Wow well done on your weight loss brilliant. I am 55 and consider myself independent active person and just had THR nearly 8 weeks ago ! I am driving and out and about but could I cope with active holiday like Disney ? Not so sure . How far away are you ? As you can see from this site we are all very different but the op is big and you never know until after how you will be so it's a tough one and sadly only one you can make !

Not sure if any help

Regards Denise

• Posted

Hey there! Thanks so much for the reply! I'm in North Carolina and will be flying. I'm trying to see the doctor sooner than one month away. I really want to get this done....not only to go on a trip but to get my life back. Very tired of hurting and I'm on pain meds!
  • Posted

good morning from Holland, 

Wow, congratulations indeed on the weightloss - 

welcome to our Hippies family .... 

I am not really sure if I understand your question correctly - did you have your THR surgery and is the 4 weeks appointment the post-op follow up appointment?

if so, then it will be about 13-14 weeks post-op ... Depending what your surgeon tells you - also assuming that you will take a plane to fly from Nort Carolina to Los Angeles - so you need to get that cleared from surgeon as well, I think -

some of the rides might be not suitable yet Lizard , but other than that, with an electric scooter, it is doable ... Oh, Disneyland will be so beautifully decorated by then -

can you tell us a bit more about your self ?

in the meantime, be patient and be gentle with your self   -

warm hug

renee 

• Posted

Hey there! I've not had the operation yet...9 lbs to go. From what I'm gathering, looks like Disney is out of the question! Going to disneyworld in Florida which is a lot more hectic. I'm hoping to have the operation early December....you are right about being kind and gentle to myself. I've been doing that all along...just thought I'd be okay to do a trip. Thanks for the great feedback!!
  • Posted

I think Disneyland might be a little ambitious. Activity is best is short doses with rests in between. The surgery and anaesthetic means most people are more easily tired even if they could manage to walk it or go on a scooter. I think Disneyland is a place you want to enjoy, not endure. The hip keeps getting better for months and I think it takes about a year to be fully healed and working at its best.

BTW, bug congratulations on the weight loss!!

• Posted

Hey! Well done with the weight loss....hmmmmmmm I am almost seven weeks post op, I have had a brilliant recovery with no probs...but... I still have to plan ahead what I am doing each day as I do get tired. ....I am sixty years old.  I have never been to Disney but I would think it needs stamina to have a good time......things like the 90degree rule are important and it is surprising how much this effects....eating out, going to the loo...usually disabled toilets have lots of space for wheelchairs but the toilet is actually a normal height.....don't wat to sound negative as I am just so thrilled with how I now I am and know it can only get better!  Take care...keep us updated...Jane
  • Posted

I'm afraid I have to agree with others re trip to Florida. I wanted to do a fifty minute plane flight at 7 weeks and consultant advised against it. Risk of DVT. I'm so glad I didn't go as I was at a wedding closer to home at 13 weeks and found that very tiring. Can you put the trip off till next year when hopefully you will be full of bounce!!!xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.