Hip replacement with bone graft

Posted , 8 users are following.

Im 45 years old and have finally given in to a THR after years of struggling following surgery for Congenital hip dyslasia as a child. I will need bone grafting as the hip is so worn away. I've been told to expect 6 weeks to 3 months of no weight bearing!

not got a date yet but told it will be in November. Has anyone else had this and what was your recovery like?

I'm still working and attempting to keep up the gym as much as possible. Dosed up with painkillers all the time and have a terrible limp. Really struggling day to day but it's become unbearable. I've put this op off for years. Part of me can't wait to go ahead and then I think maybe I'll ask if I can wait until after Christmas (not sure it will hold out that long)

would love over some advice!

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

dear vicki 

warm welcome to our Hippie family - you will find a very supportive, loving, smart and funny group where you can always come with questions and concerns ...

Good decision and I am sure that someone here will share their experience ...

I have had 2 THR surgeries withing 6 months due to OA - was 100% weightbearing after surgery ... even with the weight bearing not being an issue, 6 weeks post-op has many resrtrictions and some of them will go beyond the 6 weeks before they are lifted ... 

Good for you that you are still going to the gym .. it will certainly help you post-op to have stronger muscles ... 

Last year I would hve told you to postpone the surgery ; today, again after 2 THR's I tell you not to wait ... by Xmas you will feel sooooooooooooooo much better ...

I am sure there will be more responses coming -

have a wonderful Sunday afternoon

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Vicki, I am 3 weeks post surgery. I also had hip displasia. I am have no more pain and not talking pain meds. Yeah! I am 47 and 105 pounds. Back at the gym doing upper body. Good luck on your surgery. It will be the best decision you have ever made. Good luck!😀Scoops
  • Posted

Hi Vicki,

I was 30 when I had my first, six years on and I've had to have two revisions with bone grafts. I was non weight barring for 3 months and then partial for another 3 months. I won't lie it's tough but stick with the rules and you'll be fine. Good luck

• Posted

I had a revision hip replacement 5 weeks ago, it involved bone graft to the bone around the 10" long prosthesis. Also bone graft to the pelvis area that the socket had been. I've had minimal pain up to now, I'm beginning to get pain I think from movement around the crease of the top of my leg. I was tip toe only for balance using a Zimmer frame for the first 4 weeks, then was told I could put flat of my foot down, it's since then I've had pain. I've put myself back to tip toe walking again until I see my physio lady on Wed. Any responses welcome.

Doreen 

• Posted

Hi Doreen, 

Warm welcome to the hippies forum -

Doreen, please note that your post was added to a discussion that is 2 years old - This means that members who responded to the original post are the only ones who will receive this if they are still active...

Please start your own discussion (see dark blue box) so others can respond to you, okay ...

Hang in there darling --- you just had major invasive surgery as well as bone grafts -

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Thanks Renee hope I've got it right this time. Can't find much information on actually the site.

Doreen

• Posted

I too wondered if it was better to just get it over or put it off. In the end I decided that the suffering was composed of pain and anxiety about the surgery. And putting it off only increased both. I figured the longer I worried the more suffering I would have. Does that make sense?

So I had it done 17 days ago, and it has been much easier than expected. And I'm so relieved I've done it. I don't have it hanging over my head that I have to do it in the future.

So my advice is just decide to do it, and go for it. It's less suffering in the long run.

• Posted

Dear viki

I have been through a situation like you but I decided to have thr last year and I had it 4 months before my recovery is a beat slower bc I had no any kind if exersics before .. Bc of my unbearable pain so them my mucle is " super week " as my therapist said and also my surgery where complex

But agter 4 months am doing good walking with my stick am about start sweeming

For first tim in my life happy

This is my experience hope you will doing great

Best wishes

• Posted

Hiyab! That's great and good luck. Keep up the great work and determination.

Scoops

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.