Hip scar sunken in and dented

Posted , 32 users are following.

My thigh was tight and the scar area was hard in the beginning and now 4 months later my scar is sunk in and dented. It looks dented and feels dented. It also is still sore when I touch it. When I put my hand in my pants pocket I feel the big dented scar. Anyone else have this issue?

5 likes, 54 replies

54 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Mine feels dented and sore when I have been doing a lot of walking could try putting cream on it xx
    • Posted

Mine is always dented and still sore, it's only been 4 months the sorness will probably go away eventually.
  • Edited

Loral, mine is about 8" long, I had stitches, not staples and after one year it is dented,but maybe because at 62 things that would have bothered me when I was younger are no longer an issue, I really don't care about my scar, just happy to

have my life back again...when you think of the scars of others and their surgeries, i.e. open heart, etc. it puts them in perspective, I think

• Posted

Mine was glued shut, and I'm not that young, and no one would ever see it, it is up by the bikini line 3 inch scar on the front. I was just wondering if that means something has moved inside or is this normal. I'm happy to have the groin pain gone for sure, and to walk normal is wonderful.
    • Posted

3" scar??? You sure came out lucky. I'm 9 weeks post op and mine is a hot mess. It's healing ok, it just looks horrible. Did you have the anterior approach or not? I looked up incisions and scars before my surgery. All they showed was really pretty, straight, neat incicions. I was sort of shocked when I saw mine. For example: Who on earth has a scar that can be hidden by these bathing suit bottoms? Seriously, this is what I got when I Googled THR scars. 
    • Posted

I wish it looked like that, mine is a vertical 3" long dented scar on the front of the hip, when I put my hand in my jeans pocket I feel the entire dent.
    • Posted

Hi luvinlex, I understand your situation. I too have an indented scar that's about 5 or six inches long. I also had an anterior approach with what was supposed to be a bikini line. I was definitely not left with that. I now have a scar that's long but it is also not even close to being hidden by underwear bikini and even daisy dukes. It is horrible. The dr was supposed to do the bikini cut and it was supposed to be hidden. That was one of the reasons I wanted to go through this surgery. Now I'm left botched permanently. Not only is this my issue but I have another problem, my leg is an inch longer than the other oneb after the surgery. I noticed on the records the dr put in my records that I walked with a gait prior to surgery. It was totally a false statement, I did not have a limp at all. This doctor was careless and did not do anything to prevent this happening or to find and fix his mistakes. 

I'm very sorry you have to go through this. 

Best regards 

• Posted

Hi Patricia,

Do you mind sharing your surgeon with me ? Do you live in Texas ? I live in Dallas. I just found out this morning that I need both of my hips replaced. I am so scared. I am not vain , but want to be careful on who does my surgery.

I really like your scares , they really look good compared to others I have seen . I am 55 and I am in good shape and I take of my body. I just want to be butchered up ... if you know what I mean.

God Bless

Diana

• Posted

I agree with the others, I wish mine looked like yours! seriously, you don't have any idea how lucky you are! You would die if you wanted to wear that bikini with what my butt looks like! I have a long dark incision down both of my butt cheeks, more towards my hips but I had a double hip replacement done and the same doc did them.

• Posted

Sounds like you had the bikini approach which is newer one. Lucky you hope it all went well

• Edited

Hi Loral!

I'm almost 6 months out and my hip is still dented. I asked my doc about this and he said that it could be due to the redistribution of fat and the muscles. I still can't really lie on that side yet either. It just doesn't feel comfortable.

• Posted

I don't sleep on that side, never slept on that side, so that's a good thing. I mostly sleep on my back. I think that's what is missing fat. I guess I'll wait and see.  Thanks
  • Edited

dear loral,

Ah .... the scar (s) - first THR March 16, 2015, second THR September 10, 2015 -

definitely there - posterior  long scar with 25 staples - right, first hip, more on side and new left one more on bum - I feel them both - the old one still bother me - stabs and lumpy and sore upon touching it - 

the new one is just fresh and staples were just removed - definitely more present ... 

Apparently due to redistribution (I love that expression) of muscles and tendons, they might have lumped together and can be massaged - 

Have you watched this surgery on Youtube? amazing what our body needs to do to repair all the trauma done ....

so, it is normal - uncomfortable at times but normal - as long as it is not swollen and you have no fever ...

a couple of months ago photo;s were posted here of our scars .... 

tender loving care - 

warm hug

renee

• Posted

Thanks Renee, about a month after surgery I had put Mederma on the scar every night for 2 months. The scar is a thin line on upper thigh, quite flat. I just try not to touch it because it is still sore. Hopefully the soreness goes away.
    • Posted

Hi Renee,

hope you are well,

could you please tell me who posted the scar pic's and how i can find them? many thanks,

Lynne x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.