Hip surgery. Leaking from where the metal clips were

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi one and all, Had full hip surgery on 12 Jan. All looked great, the scar looks great, but on wed one of the Holes where my staples were started leaking, went to see my Surgeon at the Hospital they took a swab and put me on the second lot of Flucloxacillin. He told me to go back next Wednesday and i may have to back into hospital and they it may have to be cleaned out. If i have no infection i don't see why this should have to be done. The tiny hole from the staple site is a little bigger. So i am hoping that if the results form the swab are clear then they could glue it, I just to not know what will happen. My husband has to dress it everyday, it does not smell. I just don't know if i could go through it all over again. I have already slept on my back for 4 weeks which it hard. I just want this to stop leaking. Any thoughts on the matter x

3 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I just want to give you a hug! I am afraid every day that I'll get an infection and they'll have to open me back up. I don't think I could stand it, but seems it's nothing rare. Maybe the liquid is just lymphatic fluid... and nothing more. I have a plan to use on my scar to help break up possible adhesions and flatten the scar. The first step is to take your thumbs and push gently along the edge of the incision, to get the Lymphatic Fluids moving. So, fingers crossed. 
    • Posted

No Luvinlex it is not Lymphatic fluid, i am an holistic Therapist and i know qhite a lote about the systems of the body. I am so hacked off, It is not my SCAR it is the Hole from the Staple, it is only coming out of one of them though. I just can't make it out, If it was the incision i would worry so much more. 3mm wide the would has to close, but it can't be left undresses as anything could get it to it, it is an open wound but very small, the colour is yellow does not smell at all x has anyone else on this site had this happen to them, and what was the result x
  • Posted

Mine started leaking after I had staples removed which scared me, I went straight back to hospital and the doctor said no infection it was because of blood thinners, was cleaned up and sent away with bandages etc which my husband changed once and after 7-10 days it had stopped and I went bandage free
    • Posted

Yes Julia i am still having the injections 40 they gave me phew, to stop DVT, my Surgeon did tell me origianlly that i may have some leakage due to the injection, but give me a break, everything was ok for 7 days no leaking and my scar was looking great, and all of a sudden it started leaking why who knows. I am overweight, but i have lost a stone since being home. I can't wait for Wednesda to come, so much gong on. My Dad passed away a couple of weeks ago, it is all just too much x
  • Posted

I am not sure if I get the picture - - There is a leak, yellowish stuff and not blood, right? coming from one of the staple holes..Will they get another swab to test for infection before they open up the scar and cleaning it ? It sounds terrible - 

I had some bleeding from 2 holes after staples were taken out andkept dressing on for additional days 

take care and 

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Renee. I have a small hole at the side of the long scar that is leaking. Yellowish in colour does not smell, i had 38 staples all came out fine no leakage form any other part of it, just this site where the stable was in, the whole has got a little bigger, The incision is great clearing up fine, it just next to a quarter of the way up, i know this will not stop leaking, and fresh air is the best, but i am not leaving it withouth the dressing on, as it is an open wound, i am going back to see my surgeon on Wed if this is still leaking, as he told me to, he did say he would clean it out, this is a very small hole but i just hope that i don't have to be opened up all over again staples back in grrrr then i am back where i started. I really have had enought of all this, as i was doing so well. They will clean it has they have done previously but i know it will not stop the leaking from that tiny metal clip hole x
    • Posted

Day walker my mother had fluid loss from staples, in fact it was running down her legs and was so alarming. Like you it was clear and did not smell. She was treated with antibiotics too, but the doctor seemed to think it was fluid that had built up around the wound, and in the leg, that had to find an opening. This turned out to be true, she was perfectly well.

We were worried sick at the time though, but it was fine.

If you don't have a temperature, it isn't a strange colour and doesn't smell - we can be hopeful this is what it is. I really hope so, I can imagine how stressful this is for you. Anyone would feel like this, please can you let me know how you are. Massive hugs to you xx

• Posted

Will let you know Rose i see my Consultant next Wednesday, my hubs took 4 weeks holday off to look after me, and then i am faced with this. I know i am unable to change anything, but this if the first time in my life i have been unable to do anything, i can't even do all my exercises because i do not want to put more pressure on my leg, will let you know x
    • Posted

I have battled with feelings of helplessness too, and felt more vulnerable than at any time of my life. It is the very definition of patience and perseverance. And just when you could see the light at the end of the tunnel you have yet another hurdle. A big one at that. But you can do it - you will overcome this one as well. You have just a few days to wait to see your dr, I would assume for now you are fine, worrying will just make you feel even worse. Hopefully it is good news and you can carry on with your recovery as before nothing is lost. Thinking of you - I know it must be so hard to think of anything else....praying all will be well on Wed for you.
    • Posted

Also day walker anyone whom has just lost a parent on top of this operation is going to be feeling so fragile, and your capacity to deal with anymore stress is going to be very very limited. I hope you have lots of support around you at the moment, and you have all of us. Every day as it comes, one day to the next is all you can do. This dark period will end, you will feel better at some point but you need time to heal in every way. It will be okay. Hold tight.
  • Posted

I lost my hair both after my mother's death and my THR. It took about two months to start falling out. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.