Hit my acrylic nail resulting in lifting my real nail and I believe pushing the nail bed to skin

Posted , 66 users are following.

I accidentally hit my acrylic nail against the cabinet causing it to lift my real nail bed and I think it also pushed my nail bed passing my cuticle. As you can see from the pictures, I believe that is my nail that should be under my skin. Should I keep it covered until the nail grows--of course I will put peroxide on twice a day. What should I do? Someone please help

2 likes, 87 replies

87 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I would be ideal to get the acrylic nail removed so that you get a better idea of the damage.    Then just keep the real nail short so that it doesnt catch on anything and so tear off. Not really any need for peroxide as long as you keep your hands thoroughly washed. 
    • Posted

Thank you for responding. I would take the acrylic off, but it still attached to the real nail, which is pulled off from the nail bed area. I figured since nails grow, my acrylic would eventually come off like in 3 weeks. That's why I cut the acrylic off as short as I could, put hydrogen peroxide, and covered it in bandages so, like you said, it wont catch on anything and lift it anymore. If you see the picture, what freaked me out was the fact that upon hitting it, the nail plate either ripped my skin near the cuticle causing it to be visible or the nail plate is sitting on top of my skin. That area itself doesnt hurt just the nail bed.

Again, thanks for the response though. 

• Posted

Same thing happened to me half a week ago and I went to the clinic to get my nail removed

• Posted

omg this has just happened to me ,it  looks the exact same !!!!  half of the nail is ripped of but the other half is on what did you do? To fix it  ??? It hurts really bad
    • Posted

I used nail clippers/scissors to cut as much of my nail off as possible got rid of the pain even if I do have to wait for it to grow back now 😦

• Posted

i did same and its killing me im looking for same advice i have no clue what to do

• Edited

omg the are exact thing happened to me, i went to a place that’s kind of a hospital but they do walkins for little things. Anyways they just cut in to my cuticle and took the nail completely out however, i was wondering how long it took for your nail to grow back?
    • Edited

did your finger feel hot and throbbing? mine feels that way ans its been a week since it happened

• Posted

this just happen to me & it feels hot and throbbing & feels like it got a heart beat .. what did you do ??! 😦

• Posted

mine happened last night and was throbbing super bad, i kept it elevated and that made it a lot better !

• Posted

this happened to me about two weeks ago! I went to the urgent care when it happened and they put my nail back into my nail bed. I took my band aid off for a couple of hours and I hit my finger and my nail popped back out:( I'm kinda freaking out and I don't know what to do... help:((

• Posted

Omg my nail literally looks the same from play fighting with my bf and he fell on my finger it hurt super bad but my cuticle is pushed a little more down like it's bigger but it's the same finger and my real nail is detached from the bed it's stuck on the acrylic nail like only the "body part" the sides are still attached to the nail bed so I don't know what to do it hurts sooo bad!!!

• Posted

no way ! the same EXACT thing happened to me . and now my nail is like half way on and half is coming out of the nail bed .. also i recently dyed my hair blue and idk if me nail is bruised or just dyed ! lol .

• Posted

This literally happened to me!! went to ER had entire nail removed from nail bed. this was 4 days ago! it still throbs and is tender and sore. did the ER perscribe anything to you? or did you just cover it with a bandaid and deal with it naturally ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.