HIV Negative after 15 weeks but so many symptoms. Help me!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had a high-risk encounter June 2015. I didn't want to tell my ex because I knew I'd made a massive mistake and I didn't want us to finish. I went for std tests after a few days and they said everything was normal. My ex was pressuring me for sex (about a week after the encounter) and in the end she went down on me (i didn't 'finish'wink

Soon she got a crippling pain in her back when which worsened when breathing. She went to docs and tests came back with inflammation. A few days after she started bleeding about a week earlier than normal. I thought I might have given her pelvic inflammatory disease and she refused to go to a&e so I had to tell her what happened. We finished that night, she had std tests and everything came back normal. 

11-12 weeks after contact with me she was bed-ridden for 2 weeks with ‘super-flu’. I told her to get tested again for everything as it’s a sign of hiv. I had a test after 15 weeks and still negative and the doctor said if I had it it would have shown up by then. I thought especially if she’d caught it off me a week after it had happened and she was showing symptoms then surely it would show up.

I didn’t look after myself for a long time after we split (not eating properly and drinking alcohol). I noticed I was losing bulk in my legs but thought nothing of it as I weighed myself periodically and my weight was still around the same (always between 70kg-75kg with clothes) I saw her in May before I came back home to find she’s lost 20kg (89 to 69) since we finished, but she’s been running 25km a week and calorie counting. I started worrying again when I noticed my face in the mirror. I’ve lost in my face (my cheeks and smile lines have virtually disappeared), My slim fit jacket has started becoming loose around the shoulders.

I thought I’d try and put on weight when I got back home, so I upped my calorie intake and put on over 5kg in a week, got to the heaviest I’ve ever weighed, but none of it’s gone back on where I’ve lost, it's all gone on my belly and my arms seem to be getting thinner by the day. I don’t know if I’m losing weight, i don’t own a scales). I went to the doctors and they didn’t do a hiv test. they just told me I don’t have it. they did a cbc to ease my mind the day before i went on holiday 4 weeks ago.

Had a panic attack out there, thought I’d left it too late, I have a dry cough and thought it was an opportunistic infection, thought I was gonna die. Went to the hospital, they did a cbc and gave me valium. 

temp 37.6

platelets 254

leukocytes 9.2

neutrophils 7.0

monocytes 0.7

lymphocytes 1.4

Went to docs when I got back home and the tests I had were all fine apart from liver enzymes which were slightly elevated so did liver screen for anything non-alcoholic. Hep fine, autoantibody fine, renal fine. AST has gone up again but the doctor isn’t concerned, he said test again in 3 months. He said it was 152 u/l. Is that concerning?

I’m freaking out. I feel like I’m dying quickly. I can’t go back to my docs. I have a history of worrying about things and self-diagnose so I feel like I’m getting fobbed off as just being anxious. They say I’m putting weight on and there’s no illness that causes weight gain when eating food. It’s not that I’m worried about. I feel like I could keep eating, get up to 100kg but be skinny as a rake with a 40kg belly! I look at myself and I feel sick. When I last weighed myself my fat mass was halfway between okay and poor. bmi 23.9%. BUT I”M SKINNY!

I had 3 x petechiae on both forearms within about 5 weeks ago. Appeared as a single horizontal red line on left arm (palmside up) a couple of inches away from the fold of the arm. I rubbed it for a couple of seconds, like I could clean it off, and within seconds lots of pin prick sized red dots appeared and extended a little bit to where I rubbed. At the same time I noticed one on my right arm in line with the fold of the arm on the left side. It was a little-fingertip sized oval. Again, when I rubbed it pin prick sized red dots appeared. They both disappeared within a couple of days. Then I got the same as I got on my left arm but on my right. (same position, same size, horizontal line so going across, not up / down the arm).

I kissed my 4 year old cousin goodnight on the lips for the first time since I’ve been home and he was sick 3 times that night then seemingly fine the next day. (lots of saliva having taken his dummy out to kiss me). I saw my friend with her 2 year old about 3 weeks later (again, saw him for the first time). Didn’t kiss him, I made sure of that, a few hours later he has a fever, next day he's fine then the day after he’s sick numerous times. She said she’d never seen so much sick. Doc said he had an ear infection.

I feel like Oppenheimer. ‘I am become death. The destroyer of worlds’. I feel like I’m killing everyone I touch.

Please help me. Does anything of this sound like HIV. Is it likely I have it and have been living with it for a year or am I going crazy?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hmmmm. You seem focused on having HIV when your MD advises you that you do not have this disease. Start there. They are not lying to you unless there is something you are holding back. The test is highly accurate.

You had a significant and ongoing ,distressing event with the health crisis (concern over high risk sexual encounter) but also the loss of a significant relationship. You admit that for a period of time (?) you did not take care of yourself, and this resulted in adverse health consequences such as weight loss and maybe drinking to excess. When you loose muscle mass it is very difficult to regain it , as you have noticed, simple calorie loading results in fat accumulation in all the wrong places and not the muscle you want. You need a trainer/nutritionist or at least some exercise.

As to your mixed bag of symptoms and concerns that you are spreading death and disease, I think you are overthinking it a bit here. It is normal to be anxious, but the the elevated AST suggests your liver may object to any drinking you are doing and maybe you could discuss this with your MD as well. Best of luck.

• Posted

Hi Chris.

Such a detail story of your emotional feeling never seen any thread like this much info. This is nearly exact same symptoms I had.

My test cleared my problems, now I just have stomach issues and dry mouth sometimes. Trying to get treated for IBS. I feel I must have caught some virus and it cleared by leaving stomach damage. I suppose it is the same for you.

Hope you are doing good and try to respond.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.