Hoarse voice and voice fatigue - Very worried!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

I first started having problems in 2011 when i was constantly burping with pain in between shoulder blades. It went away by itself eventually. Then in September 2013 it all started again but this time with nausea, burning stomach, tiredness, palpitations, dizziness, breathlessness.....you name it, i had it. I was put on all the PPI's, and given an inhaler and then eventually sticking with Nexium. I had an Endosopy and Colonocopy which were clear. To this day, LPR is with me everyday but the most worrying symptom is my hoarse voice. It has been like this for the best part of 15 mths along with lump in throat feeling, kind of like I have catarrah and can't clear it. I came off the PPI's as i wanted to see if i could control the symptoms myself by taking probiotcs and eating a heathier diet.

I sleep on a wedge, try not to bend over, don't wear tight clothes, don't overeat etc. I've since gone back onto the PPI's to see if this helps, however i am very concerned i have done permanent damage to my larynx and that it might turn to cancer. I have just been Googling it! Can anyone help me with any other suggestions as to how to repair it or even if it's repairable???  Thank you.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I get all of your symptoms, so I sympathise! I have discovered that eliminating certain foods helps and some days I can be almost symptom free. As soon as I eat a trigger food, carbs mostly for me, I'm in pain, my throat closes up and the palpitations start. Have you tried an elimination diet or a food diary. Hope you find some answers soon xx
    • Posted

Hi, my symptoms are worse with food but even on waking I have the lump in my throat but I sleep on a wedge so I don't think it can be food coming up. I know things like yoghurt and even raw vegetables give me symptoms but I get to a point where I give up trying to find foods which don't affect me! There's always eliminating all food I suppose! smile I'm going back to docs next week and hoping he has some more answers. Thanks for your reply, appreciate it.
    • Posted

I too have considered just not eating, I wake with it too. I have found that if I eat little and often with foods that I do not react much too it helps. I always have a bottle of gaviscon to hand as I know within minutes of I have eaten a 'bad' food and taking that straight away eases symptoms a little. Have you been tested for H.pylori as that can cause reflux without food. My gp has only just tested me. I'm waiting for the results. I understand your frustrations though. I find that sometimes the diet doesn't totally control it and it bugs me daily like you at the minute, so had a strop in the doctors and told her how I was fed up of being disregarded and being made to feel as if I am making a fuss about nothing and never having a day of feeling normal. She took notice, ha and up'ed my ppi's and since then controlling my diet along with the meds has me feeling almost normal.
    • Posted

At the moment I take 20mg of Nexium but I used to be on 40mg so perhaps I should up the dose again.... Do they test for H pylori with a stool sample? I was asked to do a sample mths ago but never did it, perhaps it was for that. I haven't eaten anything so far today and funnily enough I'm not burping! First bit of relief I've had for ages!

I'll ask the doctor about the h pylori next week, thanks.

• Posted

They say it helps to talk 😆 Yes they test for pylori with a stool sample
    • Posted

Hi sounds like you are you at my docs, mine has given up and just said she does not feel my anxiety !!!! whatever that means. So I took myself off to the walk in clinic and was told she believes I have classic coeliac disease symptoms and why have I not been tested, now awaiting a GI consultation. Coeliac causes GERD which I did not know. So if I cure one hopefully after 10 years on PPI's I might feel better.
  • Posted

I too have GERD,Barretts,chronic gastritis, esophagitis and voice which is intermittently hoarse. The ENT guy (after a scope down my nose and into my throat) told me that my larynx does not close properly so I have to 'force' to speak..hence hoarseness..and didnt eem to be worried.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.