HoLEP big success 2 weeks on .....

Posted , 9 users are following.

My hubby had his HoLEP procedure 10 days ago.  Apart from some stinging when they removed the catheter out (less than 24 hrs after the op) for the first 3 trips to the toilet, and he has had NO pain.  The bleeding stopped after 8 days.  We were led to believe it may be several weeks/months before his bladder would be sorted enough to not have to dash to the toilet, but this has not happened.  

I just wanted to let you know because there seems to be quite a lot of negativity around this procedure but we can only say good things about the surgeon (Tev Aho at Addenbrookes) and the outcome.  Everything is working as it should and hopefully will continue to do so.  We were told that the likelihood of him going into retention again is virtually nil, although they can't 'guarantee' it.  Also, the chances of him having to have a further procedure due to regrowth of the prostate is virtually nil because of the way the laser works, unlike TURP.

It is only 2 weeks since the op, we know that, but we're hoping all continues well for the future.

Relief for us both at last.

4 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Next
  • Posted

HoLEP now seems to be the laser option of choice and his recovery seems good although my bleeding stopped earlier after PVP (when 75grms) and Holium laser (130grms) At the time of the Holmium I had been taking Warfarin and stopped it for two days before and after the procedure.

I have had regrowth after each and don't see why HoLEP would prevent it.

When are you going on your cycling trip? 

• Posted

It was explained to us that the laser effectively stops regrowth, but maybe that was a bit of a sales pitch confused in any case, the %s he quoted all seemed very good.  What we were particularly concerned about was him going into retention again while in the dark depths of India or similar, but we are encouraged that that probably won't happen.  In any case, we will carry catheters as an insurance policy.  Sod's law dictates that the next crisis will have nothing to do with previous crises, so we're not going to worry too much about it!

We're hoping to be off Dec/Jan, just a small matter of sorting out/selling the house first.

• Posted

I've had no problems apart from a dissapointing flow after each and of course it still growing. It is difficult to know how much tissue they actually remove. I commented when having a cystoscopy this year that my prostate had been 130 grams before the operation and that the surgeon had said that he had removed ‘a lot of tissue’. If it is now 50 grams how much has it actually grown. He regards 50 grams as not all that big. Looking at the operation notes he said that the surgeon had removed 36 grams. I queried how come 130 – 36 and it is now 50? He said that 36 was the tissue retrieved and sent for analysis but that a lot is vaporised by the laser.

Why sell the house when house prices are still going up if you are coming back.

• Posted

We are selling a v. large house and we have already bought (and now rented out) a smaller house, 2.5 miles away.  It's been our retirement plan all along and in any case, this house needs a family now, not us.  It's a beautiful house in a lovely road and we've loved living here, but it's time to move on to our new, smaller house, also in a lovely road.  We're looking forward to retirement smile
    • Posted

We already had a flat to retire to when we sold our house in Surrey in 1994.

Now that I see that others in road have recently sold for over five times more should I have kept it or was I right to sell it and invest the money?

• Posted

Derek, you did right.  You can't put your life on hold because of house prices!  Oh, the retroscope is a wonderful thing but probably best not visited too often smile
    • Posted

At that time I still had six years to go until official retirement.

I put half of it into 8% Government Bonds and half into shares. At least one of the shares has still out performed house prices.

• Posted

Those were the days Derek, 8%!!!!  OMG, we'd cut our right arms off for that kind of return.  No, we have thought long and hard about our investments; we were going to buy 3 smaller houses with the money we make on the big one, let them out etc, max out the yield, but after renting one property out for 3 years AND having had several deaths of friends/family over the past 2 years, plus our own health issues we've decided we have 'enough' money.  We want to keep it simple, so we can travel and live life doing the things we want to do now.  That's the 'plan' anyway.  Good luck Derek.
    • Posted

I'd travel if someone would insure me:-)  Problem is that so many countries we have been to are now on the danger list.

I'm getting a Pacemaker fitted next week.

• Posted

When my BPH was originally discovered and I refused a TURP the worried consultant said when on holiday alwys make sure you are near a hospital in case you go into retention....don't go to any islands.

I said that I was thinking of going to Zambia at the end of the year. He shook his head sadly, 

• Posted

We are having a problem getting insurance too.  Last time we travelled (2008/2010) we were able to get 12 mths with the British Mountaineering Council, to include cycle touring and would be fine for the over 55s, for approx £500 for both of us.  This time it's virtually impossible because of our age and the length of time we want to travel.  So, we're doing the sensible thing and only insuring ourselves in the US (we're starting our trip there, and will be there for approx 4/5 mths) and the rest we will make up as we go along.  They don't make it easy do they?  And from what I can see, it only gets worse as you get older.  Although I did hear of an insurance co called insurewith com who do good deals for people with pre-existing conditions.
    • Posted

I tried a few insurance brokers some years ago but they were surprised to be asked for travel insurance.

Some who advertise cover for over 500 pre existing conditions are laughable when you read the small print and find it includes things like athletes foot.

Even a year older causes a hike with some companies. When we went from 68 to 69 the company were were using asked for twice the ammount the next year because we were a year older and at the same time told me that BPH and GERD were no longer covered. That was when we went to Insureandgo. One thing to bear in mind is that many do not cover you for six montha after surgery. Insureandgo did not regard my PVP as surgery and more than I did. 

• Posted

Thanks for sharing your successful outcome with the HoLEP procedure.  My wife is taking a week off in September to accompany me to Mayo Clonic Scottsdale.  I'm scheduled for the HoLEP at that time.  Since we have to trial several hours, the docs wanted us to stay in the area for several days beyond the procedure...in case of complications.  I've looked into the new interventional procedure by Radiologists but no one here can share where they have had the procedure performed and if they found a research hospital or University in clinical trial that is willing to pay for the procedure.  The one hospital I found performing the procedure in clinical trial will not help with costs and they say over 90% of insurance. Ompanies consider it experimental and will not pay....so what's the point?  I hear the procedure will not be main stream for another six years. If I wait that long, there's too much risk of developing full blown urinary retention.  We need success stories with the current, BEST, procedure espoused and discussed in a positive manner...thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.