holiday insurance

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi, i have had diverticulitis for 3years now,i have it under control with steroids,dont know if this is going to be long term,i would like to know if anyone else has tried to get holiday insurance and been refused or charged anything from£185.78p up to over £300 for an annual cover for a couple(my husband is 72 and in perfect health)nothing unusual from insurances in rob=rip off britain.are they all out to rob you if you have this diagnosis.does anyone know of an insurance company that wont rip you off?thank you for letting me moan

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I agree that if you have a routine that makes your management of Diverticulosis more predictable, then you are less likely to make a - potentially large - claim.  But the risks are much greater than for the norm.  Your diet might not be as controllanle in a different country, for example.  We are a risk group.  Why do you think others should pay for us?  Actuaries are not NHS practitioners!

If you belioeve you can manage any consequence of DD while away, then choose to run your own risk on that contingency, perhaps?

Sorry if this sounds a bit less than supportive, but someone has done the stats on this, I'm sure.  We cost more!

Hope you get away,

Pete.

• Posted

Hello daisy,

I've suffered for 9 years from bouts of diverticulitis. Last year I ended up in hospital for a week on IV antibiotics for clusters of abscesses forming due to a very bad bout. Three weeks after being discharged I was flying to America for a five week holiday. I phoned my insurance and reported the latest info on my current condition. As the insurance was due for renewal the next month, they asked a few questions and said as long as I had reported the situation to them, I was covered. I was expecting to pay extra to cover me but didn't have to.

I was concerned going so far and for so long especially with the time spent 3 weeks before in hospital and being so poorly whilst in there, that I took out cover with another company just for myself for the time spent on holiday for extra peace of mind. That cost me similar for 5 weeks cover, to what we pay as a couple for the whole year. £110.

I never needed to use insurance in U.S. thank goodness. However, when I went to see consultant after returning from holiday and he said I'd had a perforated bowel when in the hospital, which nobody had mentioned. Probably just as well, as I wouldn't have gone away if I'd known.

Since then our normal insurance has been renewed. It did go up slightly, but not a lot. I do think once you reach 70 your insurance premium is loaded. 

If it were me, I would search around for cheaper cover, pay up and go away and enjoy yourself. Happy holidays!

• Posted

We are lucky enough to have group world wide travel insurance, with NO questions asked re pre existing conditions, for £235 for both of us over 70 y.o. with a well known provider through a group policy Why am I saying this is to let you know that cover IS available but you will need to shop around. Go to a good broker and ask them. Best of luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.