Homeopathy vs. Remicade

Posted , 4 users are following.

My 12 year old son has orofacial crohn's.  I have to decide in two days whether or not to allow him to be administered the drug remicade.  

Remicade is an immunosuppressant that must be take with methotrexate.  It takes 4 hours to administer and he will have to be watched carefully to ensure that there are no major side effects.  

I am considering to postpone the remicade infusion in order to try more homeopathic options.  I am not even clear on exactly what homeopathy treatment options there are, but I know that diet plays a big role in orofacioal crohns.  

He has been on an ensure diet for three months and his symptoms have vanished 95%.  However, his Dr. says that his inflammation markers have never gone down and that is why we should begin the Remicade infusions.

My gut says stop the Remicade and try more homeopathic options.  My Dr's have scared me saying that I am going to damage my son more by NOT allowing him to begin Remicade.  

Have any of you ever tried Remicade or homeopathic options???

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I have been on Remicade (Infliximab) for 3 years now before my 1st infusion I was at the toilet 10 - 15 times per day after 1st infusion was down to once per day , the cramps seemed to have eased and not too many side effects. My infusion have gone from every 8 weeks to every 10 and my inflammation markers still rise occasionally and usually I feel bit groggy 2 weeks before my infusion due. The only problem really is that I have put on a lot of weight (although drs say nothing to do with infliximab) but I was told it is difficult to lose weight whilst on infliximab. To me I would rather have a bit of extra weight than spend the day on the toilet. Hope this helps 

• Posted

That's the hard part- his liquid diet relieved 98% of his symptoms.  But inflammation sti high.  I feel like I am damned if I put drugs that are so heavy in his body and damned if I don't.  I have become bitter bc western medicine does not have any research base in homeopathy.  It is ridiculous.  Sorry I am venting a little.  I appreciate your comments because it has helped me to understand a bit more about how Remicade may affect his body.  

Did they give you methotrexate to prevent your body building up a resistance To remicade?

Also- did you find yourself more susceptible to illness as a result?

• Posted

Hi Mylisa

they did not give me anything to stop resistance to remicade, and I dont know if I am just lucky but with all the bugs there are I have only had a couple of colds during my infusion time I do have a vitamin injection every 3 months, but I did not mention I am also on mercaptopurine ( a chemotherapy tablet) at 50mg per day that could be helping too . Good luck with your decision and I hope your son starts to feel better soon 

• Posted

Thank you!  I TRULY appreciate your comments!
  • Posted

Hi, Mylisa. I'm wondering what has happened. It has been awhile. I kind of hope you went with the Remicade and that it helped. I had been on Methotrexate and Enbrel with no relief for 3 years when I started Remicade infusions a month ago and I feel like a new person. It's like a miracle. Of course, everyone is different but it couldn't hurt to try for a short try if you haven't. I remain on the Mexotrexate. Whatever your choice I hope all is improving.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.