Hope and encouragement

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey there, just wanted to write a quick message to offer some hope and encouragement to everyone who has been suffering with glandular fever for a few months and longer. It doesn't always go that way for everyone but for some it does, and for me it did, I never thought at one point I would get over it. But it DOES go away in time, I know it's very frustrating, it really took me all of a year really to start to feel much more like myself again, and I got it in my mid 20s. So don't worry, just hang in there - there is an end and there is hope. Good advice is to take a good multivitamin (Immunace recommended), and B complex vitamins and immune boosting herbs like siberian ginseng or echinicea.

Hang in there - it will get better! Everyone - every single person who reads this post - you WILL get better.

Take care

Craig

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Thank you so much Craig!

I came across this discussion while googling my symptoms ( I know I shouldn't )

I have been suffering from GF since April and only had blood tests done about a week ago as I broke down to my Dr and said I was sick of being sick as its now July. I had a full blood count EBV and STD I got my results back and everything was fine except for 1 - the EBV. This is the worst I've ever felt, hence why I wanted to be tested for every thing.

Can I ask.. Did you ever suffer from chest pain? Or have tender hips? I'm also getting pins and needles..

Any more advice is much appreciated!

Thank you!

• Posted

Hi Jay,

I'm pleased that you messaged, especially if you are not feeling great. I can only empathise and let you know I'm thinking about you, and that I totally and fully believe that you WILL recover to complete health and fitness again - take it from me as someone who felt the same emotions of being sick of being sick and feeling like you will never get there.

I think this virus can do all sorts of things to you. Yes I remember having pains around the chest area, this is a region where there are lots and lots of glands, so it's often that I think causing the pain there. Pins and needles too are very common, as can joint pain be in any part of the body including hips. So I don't want you to worry, I remember my symptoms changing from week to week too and strange things occurring and thinking 'where did that come from?'.

It can certainly take a number of months to feel fully better again, for everyone it's different. I used to worry because I always read everywhere that it would take 4-6 weeks or 6-8 weeks to get better and worry well why do I still feel this way months on? Sometimes doctors try to write you off as having Chronic Fatigue at that point - don't listen to them, because the effects of this illness for most people do go on longer than this 4-6 weeks or whatever, and it doesn't mean you have Chronic Fatigue or anything, your body is still recovering and you will get better! I truly believe that!

Definitely give the vitamins a try, they do help, and try to remove as much stress as possible. I know it's hard when life is so busy and the worry of the illness itself. But give your mind a break - let your body time to recover - even if it feels like now it never will recover, it definitely does, you will grow physically strong and resilient again, I thought I never would but it does happen.

Hang in there - still do the things you enjoy - get some fresh air and go for small walks and things (but don't overdo it), see your friends, etc - just be careful and give yourself plenty of rest too, much more so than normal.

Thinking about you and feel free to message any time if you are concerned. And remember, you WILL get there - without any doubt in my mind, I have seen it with myself and others - it's the most frustrating illness physically and mentally, but you will recover!!! Keep the faith!!

Take care and wishing things to get better very soon

Craig

• Posted

Hi Craig

Thank you so much for responding, your reply had me in tears because I really needed to hear something like that and I have been feeling so down lately.

You're right - I have all these weird things happening to me and I keep thinking that I am developing something else, but if this is just what GF does to a person then that's okay.

The pains travel through my body at different times and in different areas. I just got freaked out that my chest started hurting and that's when I found this forum and your beautiful post.

I am definitely (if I have energy tomorrow) going to pop down to the shops and buy some vitamins to help my recovery at the moment I'm only taking Vitamin c with ginger and horseradish to relieve my "cold and scratchy throat" symptoms as its winter here in Australia and everyone around me is getting sick!

Trying to reduce stress also but it's hard. So hard. Especially when you see others living life how you want to and did and now you're basically a walking zombie with weird things happening all the time! Lol.

• Posted

Hi Jay,

I totally understand all the things you are saying, I went through a very similar phase too. I had glandular fever when I was about 25, and it's hard when you have such a busy and active lifestyle and then that comes to a halt because of the effects of this awful virus. That was 10 years ago now for me and that's the reason I post here because I remember how hard a time it was and want to offer some hope and encouragement to others - after the first year I rarely had any problems and returned to full health and I believe it will be the same for you too.

It's the kind of virus that can do all sorts to you, so if you have aches and pains in different areas then it's a fair chance that is the cause. I sometimes liken it to a physical breakdown, if you image the way someone might have a mental breakdown, just when your body becomes so fragile and it feels like it can't cope with the slightest thing anymore and you feel unwell and wiped out all the time. It really is horrible and I want you to know I'm thinking about you and really do truly believe you will get better.

I remember at the time thinking I would never get better, that I was going to have to cope with a new way of a harder lifestyle, that the old ways of being active and on the go all the time were gone. But let me assure you that your body resilience does come back, the horrible aches and pains do go, it's just so frustrating that it doesn't always go as fast we would hope. That makes the mental side and the worry with this hard, but please take comfort that even though you feel rotten just now, this is only a temporary situation and you will get back to being active and strong and happy again!

Just give your body rest and time to recover in the meantime. Yes B complex vitamins are good, any immune boosting vitamin, even things like tumeric and oregano are good I've found. Co-enzyme Q10 is another good one for boosting energy levels alongside the B vitamins.

Sending best wishes to you there in Australia, I'm here in the UK the other side of the world but thinking about you for sure! Message any time and try not to worry too much - you WILL get better - don't listen to any scaremongering on forums or from doctors or anything, it's normal for you to be going through what you are with this horrible virus but equally it's very normal for you to make a full recovery after being through the wringer with it. It causes terrible worry and stress which isn't good, there is a real link between this virus and stress, so the more stress you can remove the better!

Take care and hope to speak more soon

Craig

• Posted

Hi Craig, I don't know if you are still checking into this site. I have never used a forum before, but noticed your encouragement posts and wondered could I ask you if you had any depression/ nervous stomach at all. I am 59 years old and was diagnosed at end of July with gf. After initial horrendous symptoms I began to make progress and gain some strength back but made mistake of trying to go back to work. Even though I did only 2 days it proved too much and a week later I now find myself worse than ever with a fatigue which is completely debilitating. I now am struggling with depression and nerves in my stomach as I begin from square 1 again. I am a Christian and don't want to give into negative thinking but finding this the worst period of my life ever.

• Posted

Hi Christine,

Thanks for your message, I'm so sorry to hear you've been struggling. I totally empathise with everything you say, because I went through the same journey as you. Depression is common with glandular fever because of the prolonged nature of the illness and the frustrations and inability to recover as quickly as you'd like - it's understandable that anyone in those circumstances would become disheartened and wonder if they would ever see progress. Also I had all sorts of aches and pains, so it's not uncommon to get stomach aches or gland pain anywhere really, so don't worry about that it really tries to mess with your system but your body is strong and eventually it outlasts the virus and gets in control of it so you can live a full and active life again (even though I know that might seem miles away now).

I was the same as you Christine I took unwell in the October and was badly affected by 5 months then tried to go back to work part-time and found it was too much and had to take some more time off again, before making a full recovery. There is plenty of hope Christine, I know it's a nightmare but you will most definitely make a full recovery and it won't always be this way. It can take a while, for me it was a good 9 months before I really started to feel like I'd properly turned a corner but that doesn't mean to say it will be the same for you, everyone seems to be affected differently by this virus and it's frustrating because sometimes you can feel like you're making steps forward and then it comes right back at you double fold.

It's hard when in the midst but honestly Christine you will recover, even if it still takes another few months, but you definitely won't feel as bad as you did in the early stages as you go forward. It takes time but your body will make a marvellous recovery, I truly believe that for you, so don't lose hope for faith. I'm really pleased to hear you are a Christian, I also believe that Jesus healed me when I was ill and am so grateful for that. He will do the same for you Christine, the enemy wants to rob you of hope through this challenging time for you but he won't succeed and God will protect you and bring you through the other side. In the meantime just try to be kind to yourself and give yourself the space, time and rest you need to recover, take a good multi-vitamin and also B-complex and maybe siberian ginseng as an immune boosting vitamin.

The virus makes you feel so horrible don't beat yourself up for feeling downbeat or discouraged - it is very natural but let me assure you despite the horror stories you might read, there is recovery. I used to worry so much when I read all the things online that said you get over it in 4-6 weeks or 6-8 weeks, I have learnt through these forums and much looking into it over time that for the vast majority of cases it takes longer and that is a natural process and that you do still fully recovery - so hang in there today, you will get through this difficult time even if it doesn't like it just now.

Thinking of you Christine and feel free to message any time, I know how badly the virus affected me also and that's why I like to keep an eye on this to offer some hope and reassurance to folks that others have been in the same tired, weak, sore, worried place but that they do recover in time to live a full and healthy life again - you have lots still to offer and look forward to Christine, just hang in there in the meantime and God will keep you safe.

Take care

Craig

P.S. sorry for such a long winded message I just type and type and don't seem to know when to stop sometimes lol

• Posted

Thanks so much for your reply Craig - you're a real Barnabas with your encouraging posts. Just wanted to ask you which particular healing videos you watched? I don't want to get into anything weird, but would prefer to avoid medication for depression if I can. Thanks again. 

• Posted

Hi Christine,

There are some good healing videos (Christian videos, nothing weird) I've watched and want to share with you, but I remember the last time I tried to post a link on here it blocked my message from going through. I'm just wondering if there is another way I can get this to you. Whilst I can't send the exact link - if you go to You Tube and type in the below words, then one good video is the first video on there, it's 6mins 23 seconds long. Type in 'ATTENTION!! God Heals! Watch this!! You're NOT going to believe it!!'

Thinking of you and I still fully believe in your recovery Christine, even if you are struggling to see or feel it today, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel for you and soon you will see it too.

Take care

Craig

• Posted

Hi Craig,

I know I'm being impatient but was just wondering when you had a setback how long these went on for? I'm into third week of relapse and not feeling any improvement unfortunately. Just exhausted beyond belief and wondering if I'm doing something wrong. I try a 10 minute walk to get some fresh air but even that is a struggle some days. Is recovery gradual or do you wake up one day feeling more energetic than day before?

Getting harder to see light at end of tunnel even though I know it's there.

Christine

• Posted

Hi Christine,

I'm sorry to hear that it's been so rough for you the last few weeks, I think it seems to be different from everyone how and what way recovery goes with it, doesn't seem to be one set rule book. But encouraging thing is I don't think it's abnormal what you are experiencing, I remember having set backs which could last a month or so and then things might be slightly easier for bit. Just hold firm in the knowledge that this will pass over, and you will get over it. Just so frustrating that it takes time sometimes. Improvement can happen very quickly too, so if you feel something has been going on for a while, there can be a turning point where you see real steps forward in a short space of time. Keep focussed on that and don't lose hope Christine, I still fully believe in your recovery even though this has been an extremely challenging time for you.

Craig

• Posted

Hi Christine,

Just wondered how you were feeling today and last few days, wanted to let you know I'm thinking about you. There is still hope Christine even when it seems like a struggle, God is there and will guide you through I really believe that. Hang in there and try not to worry or panic in the hard times, I know that's really hard, because they most definitely will pass over and you will feel stronger again no matter how bad you may feel today.

Take care and message any time

Craig

• Posted

Thanks Craig,

I'm feeling a little better past few days. Managed to meet with some friends for an hour for coffee yesterday and a short 10 minute walk. Hoping I will continue to make progress this week. Trusting in my lovely Saviour to speed my recovery as I wait on Him. Just recently He has given me 1Peter 5 :10 to hold onto. Blessings to you and yours this day.

Christine

• Posted

Hi Christine,

That is a marvellous verse thanks for taking the time to share it with me, it is most definitely true and God will restore you so there is a lot to be hopeful about today!

It's good to hear you managed to meet some friends yesterday, remember just take things slowly as it's sometimes an up and down process with this nasty virus unfortunately - but you most definitely will get there without any doubt, hang in there.

Blessings to you also and thinking of you.

Craig

• Posted

Oh, We love you Craig!!!

I can't tell you how much I needed to read this. I feel like my life is over, but apparently not. I'm gonna be ok. I will get through this. Thank you so so much!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.