Hormone replacement after a full hysterectomy.....

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all I am 10 days post op had a full hysterectomy. Recovery well each day the pain differs and I deal with it a day at a time... Please if anyone can advise what do we do about hormone replacements and if it's necessary... I am experiencing a bit of hot flushes since surgery... Appreciate your advice Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yes when I had mine I was experiencing very bad flushes so went on hrt tried tablets and gel but didn't suit now on patches which suit me fine no side effects or hot flushes

• Posted

Hi tasana55177, I had my hysteroscopy with removal of tubes and ovaries, 5 months ago following the discovery of a uterine cancer. Since then I've recovered really well and feel wonderful, apart from hot flushes (flashes) and sweats thoughout the day and night. These were really severe until quite recently when they lessened considerably and have become more bearable. As my cancer was been blamed on me probably taking HRT for too long  (23 years on Livial) doctors would not recommend the continuation of any kind of HRT. My oncologist suggested I try a drug called Venlafaxine for the flushes. Although mainly used as an antidepressant this medication has shown to have beneficial results for ladies having menopausal hot flushes and sweats. However, the more I read about venlafaxine the more anxious I became about taking them and so decided to wait and little longer to see how things went. The good news is, that my hot flushes and sweats have in fact lessened over the last three weeks without any intervention from medication. I am now biding my time to see if this continues. I still get hot spells during the day but instead of being bathed in sweat like before I find that these just make me blush for just a few minutes and I feel only slightly uncomfortable. I'm happy that I didn't go down the path of taking more drugs such as venlafaxine.  You're still recovering after your surgery so wait and see how you go. Good luck and good health. By the way you don't mention your age. I'm an active 72 and still even after my surgery last August 2016 happily continuing with a full married life and much to my husband's delight things are still as good as ever.  Best wishes. LadyPink

• Posted

I use the Ladycare magnet you wear in your knickers and I have had no hot flushes since.
  • Posted

Hi, I had full hysterectomy with BSO nearly 2 years ago, I had awful headaches, felt achy and had a few sweats all the time. I felt so old with all my aches, and my sleep pattern was awful too. After a lot of research and questions I decided to go on HRT patches, started on evorel 25 but they did nothing for me, then increased it to 50, much better and all hot flushes, headaches and aching joints gone. HRT is different if you have no uterus or ovaries. You need some form of oestrogen to help with your body, I have read a lot into this and I couldn't cope without HRT. You can't get ovarian or uterine cancer without your bits and breast cancer studies were based on which men with their ovaries.

hope this helps 

• Posted

Sorry based on women with ovariesĀ 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.