Horrible acid reflux one year on omeprazole

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello. Sorry for the misspellings, but I'm typing quickly. I had Ann endoscopy a year ago that revealed esophigitus. I was put on 40 mg omeprazole since that time. It has worked great up until 4 days ago. My acid reflux is back and worse than ever. I keep taking my medicine, but nothing helps. I wake up and drink water and as soon as I drink water it hits me so bad. There is so much burning in my stomach, chest, and threat. I don't even wanna eat or drink anything. I've tried apple cidar, baking soda, -and everything there is. Nothing helps. I currently live in Japan and don't have insurance so I don't really wanna go to the dr. What could be causing this? Should I stopped my medicine? Thanks!

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

try DGL- it is a type of licroice it is supposed to heal the lining of the esophagus. Also makuna honey but it has to be over level 12 to heal. I am in the process of healing my throat from LPR - PPI's never worked for me so I am in my 5th month of trying natural remedies. I hate this disease!

• Posted

You may have just got used to the omeprazole. The phyto / "natural" medicines won't be as effective as PPIs nor be chemo-protective (ie reduce risk of cancer) .

You could try switching to a different PPI at equivalnt dose. (60mg lansoprazole is equivalent to 40mg omeprazole. )

But try and identify your triggers that casue these flare ups. It may be a constituent of the foods you're eating or the manner in which it s being eaten, your posture, th etiming, whether you are eating large quantities, how stressed you are at the time, etc.

Since 40mg omeprazole (a "normal high" dose ) was waorking, we can probably rule our H-Pylori.

• Posted

This is true. The problem is I am in Japan without insurance so I'd have to find an English speaking dr, then explaing my past, and then what I want. It sounds easier than it actually is haha. Before Omeprazole anything spicy would trigger it, but now it feels so much different. I wake up with it and I drink water and start burping and it feels so much worse. Normally it is never like that. It takes food to trigger it, but now it is there even when I don't eat anything. I also have no appetite. I haven't ate one thing today. 

• Posted

That is just awful. I can understand the feeling of hopelesness you feel. I have had a bad run on lansoprazole and omeprazole made all the difference for me, try Barrets advice and change to lansoprazole. I also find that my posture also affects my condition especially when working in front of my pc I tend to be whorse off. Keep stresslevels down also. Easier said then done. I hope you find comfort soon.
    • Posted

YOu might want to get checked for heart problems.  I just had a friend get triple by-pass and she only went to the Dr. cuz of really bad heartburn!!!!  It doesnt necassarily have to be reflux!!  Hate to pass that on, but better safe than sorry!!!  Good Luck!  Other than that try Protonix.
    • Posted

80mg Protonix (pantoprazole) is equivalent to 60mg lasnsoprazole or 40mg omeprazole.
  • Posted

You MUST raise the head of your bed! It is vitally important. Only problem if its a double bed. I had to buy an expensive bed with my half being able to rise up without disturbing my husband. Unfortunately I have to analyse everything that passes my lips. I have also had esophogitis for 12 yrs. DONT stop taking your medicine! Hope you feel better soon. Write down what has made you feel bad and avoid it at all costs. I cheat with chocolate, but I am old, so I say what the hell. Good Luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.