Hospital Stay and Recovery

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I am new to this webiste but am feeling a little unsure of things.  I am booked in to have a total hystorectomy on 22nd Sept.  This is will be done via robotic laprascopy? I think this is simialar to laprascopic hystorectomy so please can anyone advise how long I will be in hospital for and realistically how long I should stay off work? Its all very vague and internet says differing things... Thanks :-)

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I had a total hysterectomy via keyhole on the 25th of February this year I'm a courier I took three months of including a day before the operation I was in for two nights including the day of the operation but everything depends on how you are after the operation and whether you do a manual job or you're an office worker but one thing you won't be doing any house work or lifting for at least a month 
  • Posted

Hi. I think it all depends on you and the surgeon. I had lap hysterectomy and oophorectomy in May. Had op and back on ward by 9pm and discharged 9am next morning. I had 6 weeks off but only as had sleeping difficulties making me tired and was given further certificate otherwise the sign off from hospital was 4 weeks.

I hope it all goes well. I'm sure it will and op really isn't as bad as you think it is. Prepare for waiting around if like me you were last on list. Wind can be quite bad so peppermint helps. I didn't take pain killers after first few days but you will be tired and need to take it easy. Someone with you for first week is best too. Walking helps blood flow so heals wounds better so up on your feet and walking around ASAP is good. good luck 😊

• Posted

Hi I had a laparoscopic hysterectomy and BSO 7 weeks ago and I'm going back to work tomorrow, I feel absolutely normal, plenty of hot flashes hopefully starting HRT Thursday.

My main concern was tiredness I can honestly say I was knackered for about 4 weeks!

Good luck x

• Posted

Hi Becky my 83 year old Mum had keyhole hysterectomy and ovaries removed beginning August. She is fit and healthy for her age and was home next day. She's doing remarkably well it seems and will have to go for 5 weeks of radiotherapy unfortunately. Just saying some people do get through this without too much aggravation. Of course Mum doesn't go out to work but as I said she was walking out and about next day so it is possible! Good Luck to you 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.