Hot flushes 2 weeks post op from hysterectomy

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi , can anyone help me please. I had a hysterectomy 2 weeks ago, had everything removed. I have started to get hot flushes, and feeling light headed. Can the hot flushes come on this quick? 😀

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Tracy, yes I had one 10 years ago and it was almost immediate. I was put on hrt straight away

It did help somewhat but I didn't like being on it for family breast cancer issues. I did find that reducing my carb intake helped greatly.

I wish you a speedy recovery and the best advice is to be kind to yourself and really take it easy even when you feel better. I still would say it took a good six months before I was totally back to normal. Not 6weeks that everyone said.

Particularly if you had an abdominal operation. Take care.x

• Posted

Thank you for your reply chrisy. I have not been put on HRT yet apparently I have to wait until I have seen my consultant in 7 weeks time. I feel light headed at times as well which I think is normal to happen. I try to take it easy but some days I feel great and think I can do lots but then I pay for it.

Kind regards

Tracy x

• Posted

Hi Tracey. I was put on hrt within 5 days of op. Not sure why they are saying you need to wait for check up. Maybe you could ring consultants secretary for advice. X
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. I have already rung my consultant secretary and it was her who said I will get HRT once I have seen the consultant. Going to call my own GP tomorrow and speak to them .
    • Posted

I hope your GP can give you some. Why make a woman suffer when the meds are there to try. Good luck. X
  • Posted

Hi Tracy. I had a vaginal hysterectomy in August last year due to years of heavy bleeding. I had started to have hot flushes before this but they got progressively worse after.

I knew I didn't want to go on HRT so I tried herbal remedies, in fact I think I tried every one going, but even they have their side effects. Needless to say none worked.

I had had enough of sleepless nights and having to keep going outside at work to cool down, so a month ago I went to see my GP.

We went through the options (after the gp i saw first wanted to give me anti depressants)

I am now on Clonidine, 25 micro gram and although they say they have side effects, I have not experienced any. I am supposed to take 2 in the morning and 2 at night but I find that that just 1 in the morning and at night keeps my hot flushes at bay and I can sleep better at night. ( the only side effect that I found was a bit of a dry mouth)

The reason I went for these was the fact that they give this medication to children with ADHD. They took about 4 weeks to kick in although not gone completely, have rapidly reduced them. No me sweaty forehead and upper lip... Euchh!!

Good luck with everything Tracy. I hope you find something that works for you.

Jo

• Posted

Thank you for your reply jo. I am not on any form of tablet at the moment. Have not been given HRT yet as got to wait until I have seen my consultant. I have been told that black cohosh is meant to be good for hot sweats, have you ever tried it? X

Thanks for your kind words

Tracy x

• Posted

Hi Tracy

Yes I tried black cohosh but they are not without their side effects either!!!

It's so difficult as I have spoken to people on HRT and they swear it's the best thing they ever did, however, other people say "don't do it, they do this to you and that to you"

I have to agree that there is not enough info for us women on what really to expect afterwards.

I suppose for me, the hot sweats took over from the constant bleeding I was having.

All I got was load of paperwork with information before the op.

Overall, I'm glad I had it done as what I had before was worse, and before I was on the Clonidine, night times were awful, sheets on, sheets off, window open, window closed.

I'm going to see how I go and have a serious think about HRT but it's still early days with these tablets...

Oh to be a man!!!!

Sending love

Jo

• Posted

I went on hrt but found it made me put on weight so I stopped taking it and the bloatness has gone down but I still get hot flushes so I'm trying wholistic shatavaric which helps a little it's so difficult to find something

• Posted

I've put over a stone on and bloated all the time. But still having problems with my bowels so thought bloatedness was due to that and blamed the weight gain on not doing much for 3 mths. But had heard that weight gain can be a side effect as appetite can increase. Don't think mine has but I can't get shot of this weight and it's getting me down. May speak to go and get advice. X

• Posted

Yip, sure it plunges you immediately into surgically induced menopause. Can't believe your Surgeon didn't tell you it would prior to surgery.

• Posted

I think they is quite a few things that people don't tell you before and after you have a hysterectomy. I had very good care in hospital but I think everything is rushed. I may just give my gp a call to see if he can give some advice.

Thank you for your reply

Kind regards

Tracy x

• Posted

Some people wake up from anaesthetic already experiencing menopausal symptoms. You didn't say if you were public hospital system or private Consultant & hospital. What made you think there aren't Urogynaecologists in Australia? Sounds like you've had a Gynaecologist who wanted to practice doing mesh! In UK they have to be registered with Medical Council that they've had the extra training to qualify for being permitted to use mesh. I would also think it's time for a new GP if they didn't immediately refer you to a Urogynaecologist at first mention of surgery.

• Posted

Oh wait. You didn't also have pelvic floor repairs? That's another post. My pardon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.