hot...swollen....teds

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi guys. Australia has just had its hottest grand final ( football) day in 30 years. Weve had 32 degrees cel.... My feet are puffy.... im hot. ... and teds are driving me mad. My whole leg feels puffy. Any tips. Im now laying down with an ice pack on my feet.Help. .. i hate heat

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Oh Sassy - is taking them off an option cheesygrin -

it cannot be healthy, can it?   so grateful that my surgeon doesn't consider them necessary - just jabbing the Fragmin in belly for 6 weeks ...

I think that when it feels so tight, painful, swollen etc. I would take them off - 

I am not helping here am I?

I hope it cools down soon 

cool hug

renee

• Posted

Phew lucky you ! Seriously if you are active I would keep them off in day .

Enjoy the sun

Denise

• Posted

Hey Sassy,

Greetings - and hopes England can CAN at rugby tonight against Australia.

Nice for us, but no help for you if so!

as you know from previous missives, TEDS are NOT universally the norm, indeed by hospital is very anti. So, if you've been in them for a few weeks, the first weeks are its true most risky to DVT yes, maybe an informed decision to remove. Maybe?

good luck whatever - hugsssss

Mic

xA

• Posted

Not used at all by my surgeon just blood thinner pills for 5 weeks . Can u take them off and keep moving I between elevating your leg ?
  • Posted

How long are you post op, could you get help to take them off, whilst the swelling goes down
    • Posted

Only 3 weeks. Its almost night...so i can take them off for bec.
  • Posted

Hi Sassybees, I'm now 18 days post op and have taken the teds off because they were too tight and hurting/digging in to my skin. They also caused swelling to my feet and ankles. I'm on Fragmin injections also.

My 1st physio session said , off the record, that I could remove them because I am moving around so much more so the risk of DVT is greatly reduced.

Best wishes,

Mark

• Posted

I notice nearly all of you are on blood thinners. Im not. ...isnt it funny how all surgeons and hospitals differ.
  • Posted

Hi Sassybees. Another Aussie! I'm in Sydney and we're also having our hottest grand final on record tomorrow. 35 degrees! The air-conditioning will be running.

I'm 15 days post op and kicked the Teds a couple of days ago. I'm taking 3 low dose aspirin (Cartia) each dayday. I'm not good at getting my exercises done but am happy with my progress.

• Posted

Yes melbourne here. Well thst grand final was a wipe out.
  • Posted

Hi Sassybees

Like Kikeena I stopped wering the TEDs after about 2 weeks and even then I had only been wearing them at night for about 5 nights before I stopped altogether. They were so uncomfortable that I reckoned that when I was moving during the day I was keeping the circulation going anyway. I was also on blood thinner tablets for 5 weeks. I know some people would consider this a gamble but also I know that some surgeons don't consider them necessary at all. I found it such a relief and my poor husband was also pleased as he hated having to help me with them as he was always frightened that he was going to jar my hip as he tugged them up!

• Posted

Im up during the day and moving around and not on any blood thinners. I wear the teds during the day and take them off a night which seems strange as its when your in bed not moving youre vunerable ... hmmmm i dont know
    • Posted

I must admit I did wear mine nearly whole 6 weeks . Only if I went to special occasions . And last couple days I only wore at night it is a pain but I didn't want to take risk

Denise

• Posted

I didn't wear them at all. My doctor didn't order them.

I did have the blood thinner shot in the stomach for about 3 weeks.

• Posted

Hmmm. no TEDS. No blood thinners. just auto pumps on ankles in hospital and junior aspirin daily for six weeks. Mic x

PS Still alive!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.