How are all of you post ankle fracture?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I broke my ankle Sept. 25. Had a plate and 3 screws installed Oct. 8th. I'm looking forward to a lace up boot and starting to bear some weight this Thursday. I thought it would never come. I feel like I get "a little better" everyday. At night my ankle is mildly swollen and I have lots of weird pains and sensations. My ankle is stiff. My foot turns purple while it is hanging down. I think this will go away once I can bear weight. This has been the hardest thing I've ever done. It has been hard on my husband as well and it adds to my guilt he has to do so much. I must be getting better because the lack of housekeeping at my house is starting to bug me. I'm wishing everyone a speedy recovery and lots of patience. I'd love to hear your stories and how you are doing.

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi linda66990.

We recently spoke re ankle problems.

I am witnessing similar sensations to you including the swelling & purple colour. 

My ankle is very stiff, and my skin is cracking on my foot.

I too am at hospital this Thursday, so will update.

I need to start driving & return to work again.

Im pleased you are recovering quickly.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi Paul, the skin around the incision is ultra sensitive, feels like a rug burn. At times it feel like ants are biting me. Do you have that? I also feel pulling on the top of my foot and below the ankle. The plate I have has two hooks that are place under the fibula keeping the bone together. I keep imagining the hooks are poking me. Yikes! At night it makes me crazy. I feel better in the morning when the swelling is less. I hope you're able to get back to work soon. That would be an extra worry. Wishing you a speedy recovery!
    • Posted

Hi Linda. The skin around all of my foot is sensitive, I have pins and needles from time to time and sudden twitches. 

The top of my foot feels tight, probably due to the constant swelling.

I read somebody put ice on their foot & it helped.

I tried this and my foot froze, I had to get warm water & soak to get any feeling or movement back.

i don't have any other sensations, am concerned about the swelling.

I was advised to ring 111 Nhs helpline, who were utter useless, reading from a script almost.

I can get a shoes on and when I try to exercise my ankle, it feels almost like a sprained ankle. 

Im paranoid about weight bearing, as I imagine the pins getting in the way. Scared thought.

It's driving me mad, the boredom, and my wife is getting quite negative.

I keep finding myself apologising.

Thanks for the kind comments, and hope you to are well on the way to recovery 

• Posted

I had my ankle fused Hine this year 6weeks in plaster cast NWB then 6weeks in airboot WB the f ankle fused so was told I could WB I my normal shoes  but now I can hardly walk  feels  like I'm walking on broken glass whether this is normal has anyone else had this? Would be interested to hear

• Posted

I have a similar sensation when I partial weight bear with the boot.

I feel that the removeable cast is not set at the correct angle, as when they were fitting it, I was in pain & they gave me gas & air.

when I place my foot in the boot, and place my foot flat, my leg is leaning backwards.

when I straighten my leg, the boot is at such an angle that I'm on the ball of my foot.

Im getting fed up now after over 7 weeks, need this chapter in my life to end.😐

• Posted

Hi Heather, I'm glad you brought that up. I've been just resting my foot on the floor and it feels like that. I'm wondering if it has to do with NWB. The fact that our calves are not working and have laxed to the point of the blood not circulating making our foot purple and the nerves being overloaded. I'm hoping once I can stand on it, it will resolve itself. Wonder why the doctors don't warn us of such. How long have you been WB? Best wishes.
  • Posted

Hi Linda

I will be 11 wks post op tomorrow, not that I've been counting or anything!! I stumbled up 2 steps and that caused the fracture. Was 3 wks NWB in cast then another 3 in walking boot. Was surprised when doc expected me to be in a shoe within a fortnight but I tried and I was despite being scared that my ankle wouldn't be able to support me, but the 2 plates and 12 pins must he doing their job. I've been concentrating on getting my range of movement back in ankle and on my gait as advised by physio since then. I just walked without thinking how before but now having to make sure it's heel to toe. I'm still on crutches just now tho. I find the more I stand on ankle the worse the swelling is but I just elevate it and that helps. I too felt bad that my husband was left to do everything and he has tried his best. It's so frustrating having lost my independence and mobility even tho I know it's only temporary I've found it very difficult. Hubby says he can c big improvement in last few weeks but i just want my life back and wish it would happen sooner. I'm hoping by end of November to be crutch free and aim to be back at work before end of the year. Hope it's not too long before ur up and about again. Take care.

• Posted

Hi Bailey,

So, it's been 5 weeks that you started WB. Did you use a walker or just crutches? What type of exercises does the physio have you doing? How much weight are you putting on there? Are you having much pain? Are you able to go up steps? I'm really looking forward to not crawling on the ground like a crab out of my house. It is amazing how a simple fall can cause this much torture for us. The one good thing about having a significant other do everything is that they realize how much we did before. I am looking forward to being independent. I want to drive by myself with the music blasting...ok I digress. Wishing you a speedy recovery, the sooner the better!

• Posted

I used crutches. They gave me a walker too but it was too slow and I was scaring the dog!! I'm FWB now but built up to that, was scared my ankle would break again or something. I get twinges in the ankle and it gets painful if I've been standing or walking a lot more than usual and swelling is bad then but physio said that will go eventually when I get range of movement and strength back in ankle. The exercises are moving ankle towards me and away from me, from left to right, rotating it, grabbing a towel with my toes, also using resistance band type thing. I've got my first appointment with NHS physio on Friday so they'll hopefully tell me what stage I'm at. Can go up and downstairs now but before was only able to do so using my bum! The front 2 steps at my front door were horrendous. I could get down them with crutches (it took about 10ms!) but couldn't get back up them so crawled in!!! I just miss a normal life. Know that sounds daft and bit dramatic but I haven't walked my dog in 11wks, I'm too scared to have a bath in case I can't get out, I miss being able to nip to shops, I even miss work! It gets lonely too cos all my friends are working during the day. I just keep telling myself it's only temporary. Take care x
    • Posted

Hi Bailey,

I feel the same way. I'd love to be able to take my dog on a walk. He is so cute. He runs under my wheelchair. It's amazing how he has adjusted to this. Me not so much. I miss that I didn't get to ride my bike on the trails the last 2 months and I'm afraid I'll be afraid to ride again. I also wonder if I'll ever be able to dance with ease and without pain. I so hope I can climb steps soon. It's weird crawling out of here, I hate when my neighbors catch me. They are very nice, but still. I will have a new sense of compassion for the disabled, not that I wasn't already compassionate. I worked as a nurse for 37 years. Ahh shopping, that will be fun. I'd also like to get my haircut someday. My hairdresser is up a flight of stairs. 

11 weeks, that is a long time. It sounds like you are making progress. Hopefully, you'll be walking without crutches soon. I appreciate hearing about your progress and your exercises. Wishing you the best.

• Posted

Hi Linda, 9wks since I fell downstairs (3 places no surgery) yes, hubby can only do so much housework (then novelty wears off lol!) had my cast off 3 weeks ago, in air boot. Movement is still Ltd + very stiff and swollen, but am optimistic it will all come good. Physio last week. She told me to try + weight bear inside (in boot) very achy at night tho. Hubby says I have improved loads over last week😁. Last weekend went on a trip requiring several flights so it was quite interesting boarding planes! (had to come down on my bum on one! - oh yeah!!) Can't wait to be back to normal and back at work as I work with hubby and feel really guilty (work in automotive and is manual so impossible to carry out on crutches!!) My goal is to be wearing shoes at Xmas!👠😂 - Good luck with your recovery😊
    • Posted

Hi Julie, 

I love your xmas shoes! Sounds so frustrating to still be swollen and stiff, but 3 breaks must have hurt. That is crazy about the plane. I flew from France to LA 3 days after breaking my fibula. They pushed me in a wheelchair and when we got to the plane there was a gap of about 10 inches. The young man had me reach around his neck and he lifted my over the gap. OMG! It was so embarrassing. I can't believe they had you crawl on the ground!!! What airlines was it? When I got to the US I told them I needed an aisle wheelchair and they brought one and took me out that way. You'd think they'd offer it. Good for you getting out though. That has to help psychologically. Staying in this house drives me bonkers. I keep having to tell my husband how much I appreciate him doing this so he doesn't wig out. I can't wait to clean my house (never thought I'd say that!) Wishing you perfect healing to wear those red shoes.

• Posted

Hi linda, thanks! Yes I am probably being a tad optimistic about the party shoes! (i can dream!!).  I Just escaped having any surgery as dr said if i kept it elevated and didnt move it for 2 weeks (in bed) it would be ok.  we flew with Lufthansa, Heathrow to southern Germany via Frankfurt and tbh they were really good with wheelchairs etc but on connecting flight it was only a small plane so I had to hop up to board but as it was raining when we landed I opted for the safe route - on my bum!  not my best moment! But it sounds tho you have been there too! I'm sure we'll look back and laugh!  Yes it was great to get away and out of the house nuts, as it does drive you nuts! Good luck and best wishes in your recovery 😊
  • Posted

Hi Linda,

I broke my right ankle in 3 places while on holiday in Spain on 8/9. I flew home and was in hospital for 3 weeks after 3 trips to theatre. Had a plate and screws fitted and was in a full cast for 2 weeks once I left hospital. After the 2 weeks I had my stitches out and an air boot on. I had an appointment last Friday and was told I could remove the boot and walk using crutches. I was overjoyed but when I got home I couldn't get into any shoes and my ankle is so stiff. I have some exercises to do and am awaiting a physio appointment. I can still use my airboot if I want to and it is quicker to hobble than to walk on crutches. But I am determined to get walking as soon as I can, these past couple of months have been among the worst of my life. I want my independence back, shopping,working,driving,dancing!  My husband is getting fed up too, he's been really good but it's wearing a bit thin now. Work have been great too and I'm still not sure when I will be walking pain and crutch free so that I can go back. I don't feel ready yet because my ankle is so stiff. Like you say we need lots of patience! Good luck with your recovery. Thanks for your good wishes.

• Posted

Hi Claramarie,

It sounds like you had a hard time to begin with. What country do you live in? Did they put you in a cast in Spain. 3 weeks is a long time in the hospital. I broke mine in Chinon, France on holiday, too. How many days did you have left of our holiday? I had 4, but it seems like it's all a blur, now. I had to fly about 12  hours and have a layover for 4 days in Burbank then on to Oregon. I went to a doctor in Burbank who told me to walk on my foot with an airboot, but when I got home the doctor said the bone pulled apart from walking on it and I had 1 plate and 3 screws. They were going to have me do it as an out patient, but I couldn't wake up from the anesthesia and they kept me overnight. Then, the boot. they don't keep you very long in the hospital in this country. I agree this is about the worst thing I've ever had to do. It seems so unreal that a little trip could end up like this. Wow!  yes, dancing, that is something I love and have thought am I ever going to be able to enjoy dancing again. One of my friends broke 3 bones in his leg and he says he hardly notices it now. How much longer do you think it will take to be crutch free?. Do you feel the physio is helping? Good luck with your recovery. Hopefully, we'll be dancing in our red shoes for the holidays.

• Posted

Hi Linda, I live in England, our NHS is brilliant!  I have my first proper physio appointment tomorrow and am looking forward to getting some more flexibility in my ankle.  I can walk (very slowly) with my crutches but I still use the air boot when I'm doing some heavier tasks like tidying up the garden, emptying the plant pots, sweeping the leaves up etc. I actually managed to get a pair of normal shoes on yesterday, even though I had to mutilate the right one a little to get it on.  It felt like such an achievement to put shoes on, little things . . . 

I'm still not back at work yet, doing anything is still slow and tiring so after the physio tomorrow perhaps I will have more of an idea when I will be back at my desk.

Perhaps I will be crutch free by Christmas? fingers crossed.

Take care and I hope you progress well and quickly.

• Posted

Hi Claramarie,

I'm happy to hear the NHS is brilliant, we could take a que from you in the US. You're the 4th person I've talked to that broke their ankle on vacation. Did they cast it in Spain or did you have the surgery there? You are several weeks ahead of me and it sounds like you are doing quite a bit. I can relate to getting tired easily. I went to physio last friday. They gave me some exercises. My ankle is moving some, about 20% I'd say. The boot hurts the back of my heal really bad. Is that normal? The back of my ankle is super stiff, not moving at all. 

Christmas is another 6 weeks, we will be much further along. I'm sure you'll be walking without crutches. Thanks for the response. I enjoyed hearing about your progress. Off the subject, how are you feeling about the attack in Paris? I was just there. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.