How bad was your post operation pain? Honestly...

Posted , 19 users are following.

I have to admit I am stressing about the pain after the operation within the first 72 hours. Some people have told me it is agony and others have said it is fine, I don't know what to think or expect...

Can I ask you out of ten how bad was it for you? Please be honest.

I am mentally preparing for my operation next week, and would find your answer really helpful.

Do the hospital give you enough pain relief? So worried about being left in pain...had a bad experience as a child and this aspect is worrying me. Thank you smile

4 likes, 90 replies

90 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Rose, on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being agony and 1 being fine,for me I would say 3 and even at that I would say SORE more than pain. The pain I went through for 4/5 months leading up to the OP is all a memory now thank God. As regards medication while in hospital for 5 full days (home on the 6th) the medication I received was ample to keep me comfortable hope this helps.
    • Posted

Thank you I can really live with a 3!! Thank you so much for taking the time to post. It makes such a difference. 
  • Posted

I hard no pain!!!! More doe and bruised!! Didn't need anything more than paracetamol!!

Sore/bruised day 1=3

2=2

3=1

Just don't WORRY!!! Xxx

• Posted

Gaby will feel escatic if that is my experience! Thank you! x
    • Posted

I hope so too. Let me know!

You know what I wouldn't have cared one bit about anything after enduring 5 months of constant pain & life come to a halt due to the hip, so anything to rectify that was worth it!!

• Posted

Definitely!

That is where I am now and it is not a good place to be at all. It is not difficult to make the decision to go ahead as there is no other choice whatsoever....but interesting to know what it feels like afterwards and what to expect. I am an organiser by nature! And if I am going to go through more hell I would like to know about it x

• Posted

Hi Rose,scale of 1-10,day 1-2  a 5,3-5  a 3 and then 6 days onwards not pain just a bit of discomfort and little soreness at scar site. please don't worry/stress so,i promise you will be fine and as others have said NOTHING like the pain beforehand.wishing you luck but you truly won't need it.hugs.karen  xx
  • Posted

Dear Rose

Compared to before the op the pain was negligible. At times a score of 8 before the op but maximum of 3 afterwards. However the main sensation for me was discomfort not pain. 

Whilst in hspital the staff were very careful to make sure pain was managed so medicated accordingly.   Iwas in hospital for three days and by then I only needed paracetamol. The worst pain I had was actually a killer migraine a week afterwards - not my hip at all! 

i hope this means that you have decided to go for the op before Christmas. You won't regret it. I was so upset for you when your op was cancelled at the last minute before. I will be thinking of you and wishing you a happy Christmas with your little children. 

• Posted

Carole thank you for such a kind and lovely message. I did book the operation in the end, for the 1st, as I realised I couldn't enjoy christmas anyway as I am. It is not like I will be dancing on the tables any time soon! If only!

I booked it and haven't slept very well since worrying. Sleep is quite elusive with the pain and the worry full stop. Not as much worry as last time though, so I definitely getting better. Your post has really helped me feel much more confident. It is a strange feeling the week before, the building up to it is not pleasant, and I will be so glad for it to be over! 

Thank you Carole for your message and kindness x

• Posted

How bad is your pre op pain? Where will you be if

you don't have the op. Answer these and you know WHY

you are having your op. When you are in hospital your

pain will be monitored. 

I can't take pills, apart from the antibios and blood thinners

they give you. 

How did mothers reply when you asked about birth pain.

What do you say to pregnant mums? IT IS WORTH IT.

go for it and don't worry, if we can do it so can you.

the answer is not too bad,

love Cathie

• Posted

The pain now is not good, and I hate to think how it would be without my patches. It is the thought of the procedure makes me feel queasy, and I imagined the pain to be unbearbable after something so brutal. So you can see my line of thought....! I am definitely going ahead either way, as I can't stay like this, but if others said it was unbearable at least I would be mentally prepared for unbearable...if you follow my logic. If it is not that bad, then actually I feel quite comforted and more relaxed about it. Thanks for your post, god only know how you did without medication! You must feel very proud that is for sure. I would feel bullet proof I survived such major surgery with no pain relief! x
    • Posted

It wll soon be here, I think, with your postponement

it has given you so much time to think.I was the same,

because I fixed a date to suit my daughter, who has family

exams and full time work to organise.

wishing you a painless post op, Cathie

• Posted

Hi Rose!

I had very little pain. More like discomfort. 

You can immediately feel the difference in your pain level prior to the op and then after. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Good luck to you!

• Posted

I hope so Miele. I am wondering what it will be like to have no pain, I can't imagine it at all....but I am really looking forward to the day that is for sure! If I wake up and I am pain free I think I will cry! I think I will cry just knowing I got throught the god damn thing and will see my babies again! smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.