How can I control my crutches?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi hippies,

How do I stop my crutches falling to the floor as soon as I put them by me while I sit at a table?

When they fall I usually don't have my grabber close to hand.

In fact, what do I do when my grabber is on the floor?

Is there a way of controlling these gadgets?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

They are difficult to tame! I had two grabbers the second to pick up the first. At a table I tended to put them on the table or leaning against something and held up by something. The armchair I sat in and the trolley table I used formed a cub by hole for my crutches to stand in
    • Posted

Thanks Maggie,

I just wonder if there is a magnet thing which would keep them in place a bit more.

To be honest, they seem to behave worse  when I am tired!

• Posted

There probably is somewhere, try Amazon. If not perhaps you could patent one and make a fortune
  • Posted

Hi, I turn mine upside down and they seem to behave better when leant against the wall!
  • Posted

My physio showed me. She turned them upside down with the handle pointing towards the wall. Works a treat

Take care

Kate x

• Posted

I didn't have crutches, but a cane.  I discovered I could pick it up with the toes on my good side.  :D
  • Posted

Hi

Yes I found turning them upside down was the best way ...they were mnore stable

Love

Eileen  UK

• Posted

I've been laughing out loud at this discussion. II have a spare crutch and stick and a couple of grabbers. I've placed them all around the house where they wait obediently for when the inevitable happens.
  • Posted

rolleyes right???

I don;t know .... I have been and still am the most clumsy as I have ever been in my entire life - 

I have 3 grabbers and I live in a tiny bungalow - brilliant tip, I never thought of putting my cane upside down - 

I also was taught the golfer;s pick up ... you know, the one where you put your operated leg back and up while bending over to pick up from floor - make sure you hold on to something ... 

warm hug

renee

• Posted

Put them upside down!!!!

What a fantastic tip!

For the last 7/8 months I have been using 2 crutches and I was driven insane by the fact that whenever I sat down the crutches would wobble and fall down. They were the bane of my life!

And now I am 11 days post op and have disposed of said crutches I find there is a solution!

My oh my......I shall remember this top tip tho and try it with my walking stick 😂

• Posted

For all those hippies now using a cane, you can buy a ferrule (the rubber bit on the end) which is shaped like a star. It means your stick will stand up by itself if it is on even ground.

You can also buy a stick clip for about £ 2.00 which means you can hang your stick on any surface with a flat edge ie table or shop counter. Brilliant invention.

Take care

Kate x

• Posted

Thanks Kate,

And all you Helpful Hippies who have contributed to this thread while I have been having a long sleep and a lie-in.

Good idea to put them upside down.

I will try to get a stick clip.(Amazon I guess)

Just a thought ----- what about a big blob of Blu Tak on each hand grip so they stick to the top of my work table?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.