How can I convince GP to test for Pituitary problem?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have had eye symptoms for 2-3 years (blurred vision,peripheral loss, visually sticky outy eye) extreme dry mouth and constipation for several months and palpitations for many months. Rcently I have been very anxious, jittery and unable to concentrate. The palpitations and eye symtoms are worsening. I have been to my GP many times about all these symptoms and they do not appear to be testing or diagnosing pituitary problem. How do I tell them to do this without appearing over anxious?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

You must insists they send you for an MRI. Be extremely persistent as mine was missed for ages no matter what I advised the GP. In the end I paid to go private( appreciate not everyone can do this) and they found my pituatory tumour. Fotunateky it was a benign ( as most are I think) but needs medication. Been on medication for around a month now and starting to feel better.. Early days. You must insist they scan you to be sure 
    • Posted

Thank you for this advice. I feel so bad 'telling' the doctor what I think might be wrong but I am convinced that it is a pituatory problem! This week I've insisted on a thyroid blood test so if that comes back OK (not sure if this would always show the problem?)  I'll progress things to request MRI. 

• Posted

We are always very patient as Brits. Sometimes things aren't conclusive and the only way is to get a scan. Mine was precautionary but would not have been found without it. My symptoms were not extreme but had lots of little things. I honestly think , if you can mount a brave push, you should insist on a scan. They won't want to do it because of cost yet and you could be going through loads of tests for a long time. I know it's hellish not knowing but stay positive and good luck. I am on cabergoline to shrink my tumour and feel better in myself. Where are you based? Which health trust?

• Posted

I'm glad you are having successful treatment and I'm sure you're right about scan. I'm in Canterbury Kent area.

• Posted

might be worth picking up with trust CEO. On way back with family from Thailand so can't use too much data now but good luck and let me know how you get on 👍

• Posted

might be worth picking up with trust CEO. On way back with family from Thailand so can't use too much data now but good luck and let me know how you get on 👍

• Posted

With confidence gained from this forum I had a rather anxious appointment with GP who reluctantly agreed to do some more blood tests and a scan.He said he doesnt agree that my symptoms could be pituitary related.  I await results. 
    • Posted

That's brilliant you can now have a scan. Really pleased . Well done and keep me posted :-)

• Posted

Also are you on the pituitary Facebook page. It might be worth getting on it to see if you can learn anything. 
    • Posted

What's the Facebook page called? I have been looking for people to relate to. Had surgery 4 months ago to remove my tumor and I'm still having issues.

• Posted

Hi Cherrynass I am having the same problems to get my GP to test me for piturity gland disorders as well,I am pleased you eventually got your doc to do the tests xx
    • Posted

Glad you got the doc to do the tests I have also eventually got a doc to do blood tests but didnt offer to do a scan that is because I had a ct and mri scan done on my brain a couple of months ago also after asking as many times.good luck to you
    • Posted

Hi Jonez

Have your symptoms settled down? It can take a while. I had surgery last February and I still have to douche my nose!

• Posted

Pituitary problems can cause different symptoms in different people. For example my problem was headaches, empathy problems, such as you describe anxious jittery and uncaring, and loss of sex drive. For this to be diagnosed I first spent a full day on a day ward, where they took blood from me on the hour, this suggested what could be wrong. I was then given an MRI scan, which confirmed I had a pituitary tumor, I receive regular blood tests to test my prolactin. I'm not suggesting that you have what I have, but you are clearly concerned, for a start why don't you request your GP refer you for an MRI scan. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.