How do I get medication?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm going to therapy and they say I don't need it... I can't even have a single good day and I feel like I'm going crazy I can't take it anymore... Is there any way that I can convince them I need medication?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

What kind of medication is it that you are thinking about? 

Anti-depressants or Beta Blockers? 

For anti-depressants you will only receive them as a last resort, doctors do prefer to put you through counselling/talking therapies first, show you have researched anxiety and coping mechanisms etc. 

For Beta Blockers, to slow down your heart rate and control your physical state a bit more, you can talk to your gp about any effects e.g. tremors, lack of sleep, discomfort, heart palpitations and they will take your resting heart rate and blood pressure - if it is raised they will likely prescribe you with Propanolol or something similar. 

Either way, I would speak to the GP if I were you, explain how the therapy is going: what they are saying and how you feel about it and you will be able to work something out. 

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Thank you I've only had it for a short time but it drives me crazy I hate it so much I just need extra support I think to get rid of it...
    • Posted

And there is nothing wrong with needing that extra bit of support, it's a difficult hurdle to jump over and it takes a lot of time and effort. 

Good luck smile

• Posted

It's hard too I've been constantly anxious and sad for the last two days and its oberwhelming
    • Posted

Well, no pill will take away those issues/worries. 

The beta blockers will make you feel a bit more at ease physically which, does help a lot as adrenaline coarsing round your body is what makes you feel so uneasy. The anti-depressants will lift you but it takes about a month to kick in. Therapy is what should make the biggest difference, and support from here, your friends, family. 

It is very overwhelming and as somebody who is crippled with anxiety and depression I can't give you an answer on how to fix it, but you will get there and things will get easier.

Stay strong x

• Posted

hi daniel. i'd try and get the meds.  as research shows the best/most sustained results come from the combination of TT & meds. anxiety is sometimes  so overwhelming that one's too 'out of it' to take the TT oon board especialy if that's CBT.

good luck with the process

• Posted

Maybe cbt training from your therapist would work really well for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.