How do I get rid of it

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have an abcess that's just come up and it is extremely painful. The last time I had one I ended up in hospital to get it drained. I was just wondering should I go to my GP to get it drained or the hospital? And any ideas how to soothe it until I can?

Thanks in advance!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I went to the hospital twice last month to get mines drained. I just needed some temporary reflief until my surgery, which is in 4 days. Whatever you feel comfortable with doing that's what you do. So, you can be pain free. Good luck!

• Posted

Last time I wasn't awake and that made me feel better knowing I didn't have to worry about anything haha

Will be really expensive to got to the doctors everytime too!

• Posted

Im so sorry for your suffering Jay, hope you get it sorted soon, go to your nearest A&E, in my experience of this horrible disease that my local gp used to stab them open with a needle to let off pressure, so i am personally trained to self harm myself as a result after the years of suffering! i gave up going to the Drs about this years ago for a fear that im a burden, drama queen etc.

• Posted

That is exactly how I feel. Am I better off just doing it myself?
    • Posted

I couldnt tell you as its your body and if something bad happened etc, try some hot flannels on it, bit of magnesium sulphate helps, i had a sterile needle to hand, started to feel better the next day after releasing the pressure, but i wouldnt really recommend as you dont know what can go wrong! i done it of pure desperation and pain sad

• Posted

I generally pop my own as well. I just take a needle to it and prick the head. Then I push til there's nothing left to come out. It will continue to drain, but the intense pressure will be gone.

• Posted

I too use to stick needles through them but in the end you end up with blackheads in their place, and it doesn't resolve anything.  I tried doing it over and over again with no relief.  If you don't want to apply any harsh products as I tried, dr. Advised place warm compresses to let them come to head.  Dr. Also used cortisone injections, they decrease size.

• Posted

Hi jay13548,  I too have dealt with HS since late teens.  I went to numerous dermatologists who jus prescribed antibiotics and extraction, however they kept on returning.  One day I sprayed Lysol and they stopped.  Please be aware that Lysol is not to be used on your skin.  However, I sprayed on hand and placed on buttocks and it seemed to work.  When I occasionally feel I am about to get one, I apply salicylate acid skin peel 30% and it disappears.  Sometimes  have to do it more than once.  I don't know if it's coincidence.  But for me, it seems to work.  If you decide to try it, do it as soon as you feel the deep nodule forming and apply acid.  It won't burn as skin on buttocks is pretty thick.  Please do not apply to any open wounds.  I am just sharing what worked for me.  I want to emphasize that Lysol is not to be exposed to skin.  Read the label.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.