How do I learn when to stop?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I don't drink in the week, but when i drink on say a Saturday, I drink to the point of no return.  I make my husband, sons and close family sad as I become out of control and very argumentative,  I hate myself the following day, and say never again, but when the followng weekend arrives, its starts again.  I feel ashamed and could really do with some help, any ideas?

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Yes Jen. Google 'The Sinclair Method.' You are an ideal patient for that, from what you describe. It's a medical treatment (not psychological) and has a success rate far higher than traditional behavioural approaches (78% compared to less than 10%).

• Posted

Hi Jen, you sound like me I tried to stop or cutback on my own and it never worked out in the long term.  I found a treatment that I have found really helps, I had to get it by my own methods but google The Sinclair Method.  I have cut my units by a third, I now know when I am starting to get drunk and have the power to stop drinking (if I wish) and I dont crave that Friday night drink (in fact I can take it or leave it), dont even mind driving when we go out for food (that would never have happened prior to being on TSM).  My catalyst was a family afternoon party where by 5pm I had completely over done the wine and really badly insulted/offened my nephews partner - she still has not forgiven me, I don't blame her (I was told what I had said as I dont remember a thing).  I knew something had to change and it has.  Thank goodness.  I wish you all the best and if I can help please just ask, no judgements here. x

• Posted

The worst thing is the not remembering, and then once your told it's the shame that follows.  As my friend said to me, I am a lovely person inside and out, but drink turns me into a monster.  Will look at the Sinclair method this evening, once i am home from work.  Thanks for your advice. smile

• Posted

Hi Jen, I have been exactly the same as you. Staying dry all week, but then when Friday comes i have a high knowing that I can start drinking. It's not just a bottle of wine but a good measure of vodka or whiskey as well. And yes, like you I get argumentative and loud, which usually ends up in a row with my hubby. After my 50th two weeks ago, I decided enough was enough and am taking one day at time. Yoga really helps, as you learn to love yourself and deep breathing comes into it as well. All I keep thinking is the first half of my life was booze but not the second half. Try staying away from boozy situations for a while and change your routine on a weekend. Try something that absorbs your mind that u enjoy. If I can do it for seven days and have little will power then I'm sure u can give it a go . Take care and keep talking.

• Posted

I will keep you updated on my progress as I am determined to change.  Since turning 40 earlier on in the year, I think it is now time to change and for good.  I just need to get a hobby I think and then I won't sink into the trap at the weekends.  Thanks for your advice smile

• Posted

hi Jen. Think of your family who cares for you. That is crucial. Best of luck from Robin
    • Posted

Hi Becky, 

Sorry it has taken so long to reply, just been a very busy time.  I haven't touched a glass of alcohol now 9 days.  I feel better, but also feel exhausted and very down.  I am determined to behave, but when challenges arise, I just want to drink sad

• Posted

Keep yourself busy in other activities.do exercise daily.
    • Posted

I have increased my excercise and with thanks to Pokemon Go, my children want me to go everywhere with them, we covered over two miles in just under an hour last night, so no too bad.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.