How do they make sure the replacement is even?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was under anesthetic---totally out--- when my surgery was done for a R TKR. Now I am reading about surgeons measuring or using True ??? something during the surgery what does that mean? And how can they make sure your legs are even when they do a TKR???

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Why don't  you ask your surgeon? By the sounds of things they might have been measuring your legs to see that they were the same length, or it could be to make sure you have 100% bend ability.  It is all very well reading about something that you now can't remember, but why are you asking the question. Are you about to have the other knee done? Is your current knee not how you hoped it would be.  When you are "out" the surgeon will be brutal to your new knee.  They will bend,twisted and turn it far more than you would, even if you are pain free. They will also check, through xrays that both legs bones are the same length. You can read ad infinitum people's theories and interpretations on what you are trying to remember.  Unless you are having issues with your new joint, if I were you, I would knuckle under, do all your physio + extra movements and not worry about the what ifs, and if they got this, that or the other right.  If you are that worried ring his secretary, she will have taken his notes, so everything will be there. 
    • Posted

My surgery was March 2014 and I am "Just curious".  I did all my P.T. and fell 6 times during that period--nobody cared. The surgeon and I had a parting of the ways when he was acting like a child and not a professional while I was trying to get answers----which he did not/would not answer.  While I was in his exam room with his P.A. and a student from a local medical college he actually did the manipulation procedure with no notice or warning. The P.A. and student backed him out of the exam room both pushing on his chest while he laughed. The next day my knee was swollen and heated up worse. I had 3 P.T. days left and I was excelling in my recovery so I quit and continued working at home.  I have almost pre-surgical ROM.  It's not that I can't remember, it's that no one would/will tell what I wanted to know.  Maybe this post should be trashed. neutral
    • Posted

When you say you fell during therapy.....

You had every right to report your surgeon to a higher body, especially as his behaviour was done in front of witnesses. Please dont be offended by what I am about to say as what he did was wrong).  Sometimes the pain in your knee is so extreme, the last thing you want to do is bend/lift.  Sometimes when you are relaxed, your sense of pain is lessened and a bend is achieved. When you have manipulation under anaesthetic, your knee is bent + any other movement is achieved.  Your surgeon, in a very high handed way, thought by not allowing you to think, could get your knee to bend.  So stupid, but I do get it, at the very least he should have apologised and definitely not treat it as something hilarious!

Although its a bit late now, there is an ombudsman that deals with complaints. It is very hard to complain against a doctor to another doctor, not because it is a closed shop, but because what your guy did was unthinkable, they take an oath not to cause harm.  Some doctors do stand on their pedestals and give others a bad name.

My next question is, why have you left it so late to come on a forum.  Have you fully recovered, are you planning another replacement?

Don't give up on the forum, just unfollow for a while

• Posted

During my pre op last week I had X-rays done. I asked the question about sizes. He told me they come in 4 sizes and your bone is scraped to fit. They do precision X-rays. Look up total knee replacement on you tube. That will give you a general idea of what happens. 
  • Posted

D

I'm not sure why you ask about new knee but i can share this my two new knees done at the same were custom made for me. My doctor did X-rays before my surgery and then a MRI on both knees then sent them to the place and my knees were made to fit me . My surgeon likened it to buying shoes in a store as to having a pair made for you. My first visit after surgery they did more X-rays said they were straight then patted himself on the back because my scars look so good,so straight. And they do. Hope this helps . I don't worry about one be longer because they are both new. Oh by the way when you leave the hospital they give you the mold of your new knees not happy about that.smile

• Posted

Another reply to myself:  Okay I have recivered a bit of self confidence. I went through a nightmare with my FIRST knee.  The experience was traumatic. I do need a second knee--that is the problem.  I was so uninformed, trusting the medical team to ply me with competent information about everything, and basically abused by the physician, questions unanswered--that I have resorted to learning about the technical procedure so that I will know what to expect and be prepared for the time when my left knee gives up the ghost.  Over the past year due to fear of falling and damaging my left knee to the point of no return. I have basically given up on everything. I leave the house every couple of months to get groceries and that is about all---this time it may be 3 months due to the injury I am trying to rebound from the middle of April. I went to a forum not too long after I stopped P.T. to see if what I felt was "wrongful treatment" definitely qualified. You have to admit that when you do not have all of the facts you just assume these professionals are doing the "right things".  I was basically tarred and feathered and ran off the formum by people who called me a trouble maker--I just wanted to know if what happened was "SOP" or actual abuse. I have since talked to many people who suffered under this man's horrible bedside manner BUT are willing to take it without protest because they fear repercussions--I know my insurance pays him and my going to him almost makes him a "hired hand"...  But I do realize I have the power to strip that hospital of at least my insurance payments and seek out someone who will be pleased to help and who I would be pleased to see consume my insurance benefits, and that is what I am doing. P.T. department loves this man--I learned too late that you should not voice your complaints except through whatever channels are provided.  I did that later with a portfolio of what I felt were valid complaints...  However the hospital prefers to ignore one vocal displeased 'customer' because in this area there are tons of joints that need repair and they are raking in the dough.  On THIS forum I read you are not supposed to kneel down.  I have been kneeling--no one told me otherwise.  What else am I not supposed to do that I haven't been told. I would assume there are weight limitations to consider--don't know what they are. Was hoping to get some sort of guidelines to fill in the gaps.  At least I discovered that my increased "dead area" above and below the replacement does serve a purpose. I rammed that surgical knee into a cabinet handle tonight and didn't feel a thing.  But that doesn't mean it was a good thing.  It is just when I have been ramrodded by professional medical personnel, then try to discover the truth, I get ramrodded once more.  Just don't know how to do this anymore and am tired of dealing with self-imposed physical limitations in order to not step/fall into that boundary from which there is no return. I quit doing everything for fear of falling. Just gave up---because I had no one to turn to.......................................
    • Posted

Now I understand where you are coming from and everything you have said before makes sense, before all else. The way to go is to tell your insurance company.  They are the ones that will have him on a "preferred list". If a complaint is made, they can take it further (Or not refer patients to him)

Regarding your "new" knee. The numbness is down to the nerve ends, not the implant, by banging your knee against a hard surface will damage them even more. If you are worried, try acupuncture.  The needles may re-stimulate them. Trust me when I say I would prefer the numbness over the sensation of nerves mending. It is early days to start kneeling, but eventually you will be able to, it is a weird sensation and you may have to resort to kneeling on a sponge type object, which you would do if you had really bony knees.

As for strength and stability. It is stronger than you think. To date I have fallen down a flight of stairs (tripped over our black cat in the dark), fallen off a ladder (Trimming branches of a tree in the garden) and fallen of my bike many times (I ride off trail, so lots of ditches, fallen branches etc etc.).  Yes pain can be excruciating, but the knee stood everything, so I was limping more than I normally am, but think about it, you would if you had the original joint pre bone on bone.  Things like tennis and jumping out of airplanes may not be recommended, but running (not really on pavements or cobblestones), walking and any sport where the knees come into play are possible. Carrying heavy weights if you are still recovering is still a no no as it is your knees that suffer (Yes, it is true).

There is no point shutting yourself up indoors, all that will happen (is happening) is that you will get frustrated with your and and with life in general, then comes recriminations and depression. If you drive, go out somewhere peaceful and just walk. Does not have to be for very long. But you do have to prove to yourself that you are capable and able to do it. Take a cane with you for reassurance. You may just surprise yourself.  For now, forget the deadzone.  You know it is there, so adjust. Whoever you see will say the same thing, "it takes time".

If you need your other knee doing, speak with your medical insurance company, they will be more than happy to appoint you a different surgeon/hospital.

There is not a lot more you can do, except be positive. There are many cowboys in the medical profession, the same can go for any large company or institution.  Because you are still upset from your treatment of this man, I would suggest you move on, get your confidence back, sort your life out and try and be happy.  Being miserable and in pain is no fun, for you, your family and anyone around you. You just end up isolating yourself and sink deeper into depression. Apart from speaking to your insurance company (to be sent to a different hospital) there is not a lot else you can do.

Stop imposing limitations on yourself, if you can't do something a certain way, try a different way. There always alternatives.

I am not ramrodding you and I am sure there will be someone on here that will tell you the complete opposite, but at least you know they are reading and hearing what YOU say and somewhere along the line you will read something YOU agree with.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.