how do you know if you have hsv 1 orally too?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been diagnosed with Hsv 1 GH a few months ago. My outbreak was terrible but I'm already passed it & I feel normal down there. I don't know wether I'm just thinking about it to much and feel like I might have it on my mouth to. If I contracted it from oral sex those that mean I have it on my mouth too? I didn't have an outbreak on my mouth like I had it on my genitals? Someone help me? Ive been meaning to go to the doctors and get more information but been so busy with work.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have hsv 1 on my genitals and mouth. The outbreak was different in both locations. On my mouth, it was only one sore and on my genitals, it was quite a few. I also contracted this from oral sex. The outbreak on my mouth and genitals happened at the same time. If you kissed the person who gave you GH from oral sex, and they had a cold sore on there mouth at the time you kissed them, then you have it on your mouth too. That's what happened to me. Hope this helps.
  • Posted

I have hsv 1 on my genitals and mouth. The outbreak was different in both locations. On my mouth, it was only one sore and on my genitals, it was quite a few. I also contracted this from oral sex. The outbreak on my mouth and genitals happened at the same time. If you kissed the person who gave you GH from oral sex, and they had a cold sore on there mouth at the time you kissed them, then you have it on your mouth too. That's what happened to me. Hope this helps.
    • Posted

When you get an outbreak in your mouth are the symptoms the same like when u get it genitally? I got a cold sore on the roof of my mouth the other day. I'm not sure if it's from this heat or I have it in my mouth as well. I don't get that tingling sensation on my mouth? Sometimes I feel like I do but I feel like I'm imagining it cause it's on my head so much.
    • Posted

The tingling down there is really noticible so I just want to know. When I had my first outbreak genitally My gums in my mouth swelled up and got really bad. Once diagnosed I went to the doctor and asked if it was the same but in my mouth and they told me it's was just a yeast infection in my mouth. They prescribed me some mouth wash and it went away. But my mouth lately feel weird. Almost like my taste buds on my tongue are a lil swollen but my mouth looks completely fine
    • Posted

I don't get cold sores on the outside of my mouth and didn't during my primary oral infection either. I had a bunch inside my mouth. The body handled it differently everywhere.
    • Posted

Also, I do not get tingling from my oral HSV 1 herpes, but do w my genital HSV 2.
  • Posted

There's a high probability you had it on yourputh already, as 80% do and don't know they have it. Had it been a new infection orally for you, you'd had a horrific primary OB on your mouth too, just like you did on your genitals. In my experience, I have noticed when someone gets infected at both sites and has a primary OB, they get pretty sick, cold sores and tensld to also have esophagulitis along w it.

If you haven't seen a visible sores outaide yoir outh or inside since having your genital infection, you either didn't get it there or more than likely already had it there.

• Posted

Thank you for the information. Then I might have had it already, I would get cold sores inside my mouth here in there by the weather changes . Never outside my mouth but I had a small one on the side of my lip, thought it was strange but it went away quick once I rubbed ssome onion. seems like you know a lot about this infection already and learned to deal with it already. I'm very new tto this change in my life. Within time those it get better? Less frequent ? I just miss feeling normal. It's very uncomfortable. Have you found love? I'm sscared to even talk to anyone because I wouldn't want them going through this sad if there willing to take the risk I would still feel guilty. I would go through dating site they have but I don't trust the internet. People lie a lot I wouldn't want to put my self in a worse position where I can catch something worse if they lie about there condition. I over analyze a lot & it's just making me stress.
    • Posted

This change is new to me as well. It's very hard to accept and it's very easy to start feeling not normal. I just found out I have this about two weeks ago.. I'm trying to look at the bright side of things, even though it is very difficult. I often have my down times where I remember that I am suffering with a horrible virus such as this. The way some of us have contracted it, may cause ashamed feelings, but the way I look at it, or often try to, is that we shouldn't feel that way. This is a very common skin condition and it is very easily contracted. You are the same person you were before you found out that you have this and you will find someone who will love you and accept you as you are. I can't speak from personal experience, but I have heard of many many people finding love and never even passing on the virus. This isn't the end of all things as you know them. This is just an obstacle that you have now. And there are always obstacles in life. There are always going to be things in the way, you just have to find a way of dealing with it and not letting it get in the way.
    • Posted

@Chloe02547 I'm sorry to hear that you've contracted this virus. It's about 5 months since I ggot diagnosed. Keep up the positive attitude. Your doing way better than I was. Was very depressed & barely ate. I'm finally being more understanding about the situation and trying not to think about love right now cause I think it's better for me to understand this skin condition first before I start to date. & I agrwe with you it's just an obstacle that we will have to get through. But once I'm through it ima be so happy smile I hope in a year or so everything gets better. & knowing that other ppl are going through this and having the chance to talk to them on this site brings more comfort since I don't know anyone around me whos going through this.
    • Posted

You know, I had a very severe reaction to herpes, so it took me longer to get over it, but I've had it over a yr and because I've had 3 back to back obs for over a month now, I have been feeling quite down about it. A lot of the time what we think we feel down about is herpes, but it's not, herpes brings out every insecurity you have and your low self image. Try to identity what herpes has magnified for you and focus on that, more than in on herpes.

We all feel devastated when we first get it and it is a grieving process for sure, but you will come to a place of acceptance and move on w your life.

HSV 1 tends to be less aggressive than 2 and many never or hardly ever have recurrents from type 1 below the belt. That's not to say that I haven't seen a few have issues w 1, but I believe they have underlying health issues if they do, just like I have autoimmune diseases, that I believe contributes to the virus being more active in me.

It will eventually feel normal down there. Soak in Epsom salt baths daily as much as you can, until you don't have symptoms. Not sure if you're in the states, but if you are use bactine spray to numb the area or use some other numbing spray you guys have in the UK. If it feels like they're sticking, Vaseline can act as a protectant and barrier from friction and urine stream. Most of it unfortunately, you just have to ride out the pain.

I have not found love, but that's because I'm not dating. I have disclosed before and had success. I have 7 gfs w herpes, 6 are married and 6 w kids and they had herpes before marriage and kids. 2/even married a second time and one had another kid from the second marriage. All had vaginal births w healthy babies. Only one has every experienced rejection and that was just once, but he was still willing to sleep w her, which shows he was only in it for one thing.

The dating site is tricky, as one of the main ones which I was on, was busted using profile pics on other sites and it was to be confidential, so there's like a 16 million dollar suit won against them. I deleted my stuff when I saw that last yr. There are some other ones though.

Right now I don't think you should worry about dating. You are newly infected and still grieving that.give yourself time to heal physically and mentally, before you start focusing on that. Deal w that, once you come to a place of acceptance, because otherwise, you'll start self sabotaging or being really anxious during the dating process, instead of enjoying your time. I did date for a little bit since having it and I drove myself crazy obsessing about disclosure, until I realized how many men suck and just aren't for me (humor... Relax for those easily offended) and I was clearly wasting my time worrying. On a serious note, it makes you slow down and not get caught up in attraction w them and stop lust from being the main driver; you're forced to really see them for who they are. So I often learned w in a couple weeks, that these guys weren't a good fit for me and I was needlessly stressing myself out. It's the whole proverbial, don't put the cart before the horse saying.

Well,that's why you both need to be tested and share each others results. It's an easy enough solution.

Hang in there and stop worrying about the future and worry about handling and living the present day as best you can.

Google H Opportunity. This site will provide success stories for disclosure and a lot if support for herpes.

• Posted

@feelbroken what do you do so you can just not feel so down. I honestly have good day but bad ones too rolleyes today is one. I just want to feel normal and I can't. I feel disgusting to myself because of this. I'm so weak minded that I don't even know how to get through this. I'm trying so hard but I feel like there's no way out.
    • Posted

I feel disgusting mostly because I'm not norrmal. My mouth feels funny, I feel like I'm having another outbreak down there sad it's never ending. How can ppl live this way. It's painful.
    • Posted

Well right now this is early for you, so don't be so hard on yourself. It will pass. Think about it, what other choice do we have but to move on? No amount of tears, self hate or worrying about it is going to make it go away ever, so you have a choice to recognize that you have a hitch hiker who sleeps most of the time, but will stay w you forever and comes out once in a blue moon, but like continues on and changes NOTHING for you, except adds an extra obstacle w disclosure or you choose to let it ruin your life, when in fact it doesn't. You can do all the same things you did, prior to having herpes.

I just dealt w 3 obs back to back for over a month. I usually get them once a month. Liquor is a trigger for me and lack of sleep. I recommend getting put on daily meds for the first yr at least. I know how you feel, cause what I had, lasted longer than my primary, although not painful like my primary. It brought me down a bit.

Can you get on meds?

• Posted

It's a new infection for you, so it takes awhike to feel normal down there again. None of mine were painful after my first couple obs. Just give it time.
    • Posted

I know crying and putting myself down isn't going to change anything & your right but it's just soo hard.I will give it time and I will try to learn to live with this. I wanted to keep it natural because I don't want my body getting Used to medication but at this point I'm willing too cause I feel like it's not making a big change on my symptoms. My mouth keeps getting a strange tingle on the side and idk if I'm just imagining it because nothing happens.But I ddid get one cold sore on the roof of my mouth. Seems to be healing though but it's already taking a few days
    • Posted

I'll give it time, I hope in a year from now I'm feeling way better because it's really hard for me to even wana get out of bed each day. Deepression hits to strong
    • Posted

It absolutely is hard. I cried every day for months, but I promise you, there are going to be worse things that happen to you in life, that makes herpes look like cupcakes. If I had a choice to either get herpes and never been w my ex or be w my ex and be herpes free forever, I'd take herpes. People can and will do a lot more damage to you than this virus, I promise you. That should give you some much needed perspective, on how much damage someone did to me, that goes much deeper than a life long virus.

Your body doesn't get used to the medication, doesn't work like that. It does take time for your body to get used to the virus however and it's better to haev peace of mind and be OB free or minimal for at least a yr, until your body does get a handle on it. Plus when going I to a new relationship, sharing you are on daily antivirals to better protect your partner and cuts the risk down by 50%, w a 2% a yr risk w no condoms and then a 1% w both condoms and meds, makes for a lot less of a blow during disclosure. Being you have HSV 1 down below, you can cut those numbers in half even, because HSV 1 on the genitaks sheds half or more less than HSV 2 does. Just something to think about.

Tingling is just a sign of the virus being active, doesn't mean it'll produce physical lesions all the time.

Girl, I was depressed before I got this virus and was getting in a better place when I got this blow and diagnosed w Sjogrens and hypothyroidism a month later. I understand all too well. You'll be fine

• Posted

@feelbroken I want to thank u so much for finding the time to talk to me. & also for telling me what you've been through. Makes me feel not so alone. & I'm sorry to hear that you've gone through so much but the fact that you were able to overcome through that all makes you such an inspiration. Your a true strong woman. & I hope I can be this way in the future. & the facts about the antivirals is a better relief smile being symptom free while my body gets used of the Virus would make me feel so much stronger. One question? Since I have hsv 1 in my mouth also wat do I do so I don't infect anyone? Those the antivirals work for that as well or is it different? What can I do?
    • Posted

Since I have hsv 1 in my mouth those that mean it will shed more Since its in its domain?
    • Posted

Not a problem and make sure you join that forum I told you about called H Opportunity, you will get a lot of support from there. It's like social media, but for those of us w H.

Yes, HSV 1/shed's more in the mouth than on the genitals, but 80% of people have oral herpes by the time they're adults, so no need to fret over the oral herpes, but yes, the same aaplidsyfpr the antivirals for both locations.

You'll get to a place of peace w it and then you'll haveomentd if anger and then leave again. As soon as you can go some time w ko symptoms, you'll forage ahead in no time and you'll keep getting used to the idea more and more. One day, you'll look back and giggle at your strong emotional reaction and think you were being silly. 😉

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.