How do you live with Osteoarthritis in multiple areas?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello,I am starting to feel my osteoarthritis more and more each day.I have had it for over 20 years.It never really affected my daily

living much, accept an occasional flare up in the knee or lower

spine.Now it seems the flood gates have opened ha ha to shoulder,cervical and lower spine,knees, hands and feet.Alot of

stiffness,aches and pain.Especially to the left knee(lots of crepitus and stiffness) and lower back.I am walking differently now due

to the pain in knee,which is hard on the back.I am open to any

suggestions for how to live like this each day such as assisted

devices to heating pads,things like that.I already am on medication such as voltaren gel,pain meds and light exercise.

How do you battle the low moods in knowing this isn't going to

get better? I am in my early 50's so would like to still be as active

as possible and enjoy life.Thanks to all who listen biggrin

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi. i suffer with osteo in both knees, both shoulders, lower spine for about 15 years i am 60 in feb. your low moods sound like depression like me (on meddication for it) also on pain relief meds. i go to hydrotheraphy and find it good. if u havent been before ask your gp about it. 
    • Posted

Thanks for responding fred,I am more tired than normal so

a little whining going on :0) but I do get a bit depressed at

times since I also have fibro and other health issues.I live in

a rural area so no access to a pool.But it's a great idea.

It's just that arthritis affects everything you do.

Maybe it's the cooler damp weather with

winter coming on soon that's causing more pain and stiffness.

• Posted

it also is no help to me, i have got pip assessment next week. if i lose my car thats my independence gone
    • Posted

Positive thoughts Fred....Hope it goes well with the assessment
    • Posted

went to the assessment this morning. not as daunting as i imagined. but still i kept thinking i was begging for money. its a waiting game now.
    • Posted

That's usually how it goes.We build up in our mind that things

won't go as we want them too.It isn't easy accepting a different

way of life financially but when you have worked all your life

or paid in to the system then it is rightfully yours to be given

something in return confused so don't feel like you were begging.

I hope it goes well for you

• Posted

i will let u know how i got on, it could take 4-6 weeks. if i am not awarded what i receive now then i will fight them. thank u for your interestbiggrin

• Posted

I am 64 and have had osteoarthritis for just over 20 years, I have most of my pain in low back upper back shoulder hands arms also down the sides were kidneys are, but that could be from all the nerves, it affects my groin left side, it is very weak. I take gabapentin effort the nerve pain which only helps slightly, but the other constant pain sometimes have to take tramadol, have been on naproxen but get a sore stomach with that, I feel worse through the winter, just wish there was a drug with no side effects.
    • Posted

Hi lyn,it's a rough thing to live with and certainly can get us

down. Constance gave some great tips.We need to find joy

in the little things of life each day.I don't tolerate most meds.I

I have sensitivities to side effects due to fibromyalgia so I

understand that issue.I will remember to write a couple of

scriptures down and keep handy to comfort me when pain

is unbearable.Have you tried Voltaren gel? It is an anti-

immflamatory gel drug but by passes the stomach.It is by

prescription but I think there is something similar in the

store just not as strong.Hope today is a beautiful day for

you.Hugs Tory

• Posted

Yes Tory I have tried the gel and several other ones too, I try to stay as active as I can because if I don't I feel terrible, it's funny but you would think that resting would make you feel better but it don't. You have a great day...

• Posted

I also have 'poly' OA - not pleasant.  Try not to let depression creep in (not easy I know), but in the end more distructive than the OA.

Fresh air, light excercise help - even if it is only 10 - 15 minutes a day.  At least you feel you are 'doing' something to help yourself.  Eat light meals, don't drink alcohol, sing in the shower, smile at yourself in the mirror.  You are unique, remember that.😀

All the best.  💐

• Posted

Constance,thanks for the kind words and gentle tips.

I will for sure remember to smile today :0) I hope you

will too.Hugs Tory

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.