How does isopropyl alcohol poising happen through skin?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have awful hypochondria with germaphobia and I tend to wipe anything I think has harmful bacteria down with hand sanitizer. About three weeks ago, I  ran out hand sanitizer, so I started putting 91 percent isopropyl alcohol on a cloth and then my hands and sister's hands, the outside of library books, remote controls, stuffed animals, on the inside of my cheek after I bit it, and anything else I deemed dirty at the time. I stopped when I bought more hand sanitizer, which was about a week after I started, and maybe half the bottle of alcohol was gone.

I just recently heard of people dying from isopropyl poisings from skin absorption and I'm scared out of my mind. No one in my family seems to have any symptoms of alcohol poisoning and when I told my mother what I did, she shrugged it off because everyone seems fine.

So I guess my questions are- How much isopropyl alcohol has to be absorbed for it to cause problem; Does it sound like I used enough to be concerned? What should I do about the surfaces I rubbed down? Should I leave them alone or try to get the alcohol off with a damp cloth? Will the water activate the dried alcohol again?

I know what I've done was incrededibly stupid. Thanks so

mush for any answers.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi you needn't be worried they us isopropyl alcohol in swabbing areas when having needles inserted and also before surgery. You haven't mentioned any irritation to the skin so I would be quite confident in saying your safe but I would draw it to the attention of your own doctor to be sure.
  • Posted

Honey, attempting to sanitize every object in your life is not only pointless, but unhealthy. You only need to clean things to a sensible level, not adopt a scorched earth policy on microbes. Exposure to some microbes is essential for your health: your digestive system needs a host of 'friendly' bacteria and yeasts to function, and similarly your immune system needs exposure to some microorganisms to function properly. Lack of exposure to microorganisms is associated with asthma, allergies and a host of autoimmune illnesses. 

Hygeiene is the science of maintaining good health, not as most people seem to believe, waging war on microbes. Cleanliness is only one aspect of hygiene. As long as your kitchen is clean, you wash your hands after toileting and before eating and you do not allow too much dust to accumulate in your home, you are covering the cleanliness bases. 

You clearly have some issues with anxiety, but please don't try to control them through obsessive cleaning. There are losts of techniques to try that you can find on the internet if your GP can't offer any help, from stress-reduction strategies to mindfulness practices. Find a positive ritual rather than one based on worry! 

You have a long life ahead of you - enjoy it.

Wishing you all the best.

:-)

• Posted

Thanks so much, everyone. Your answers have all been kind and helpful. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.