How is everyone going? What are your thoughts about your osteoporosis?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had my second bone density test which did not show any noticeable change overall.

I still am choosing not to take fosamax or have the Prolia injections.

I am in Australia so our choices are limited.

I am, however, attempting to improve my bones naturally which I understand is a long shot.

More studies would be good that highlight the risks of doing nothing or trying various means of improving our bones whether by diet and exercise or some other means.

It is very complicated for many reasons, one being that most of us have other health issues.

Some have tried the drugs and have been either pleased or displeased with that choice.

We do not have to agree but continued updates or debates would be good.

So, how are you going?

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm new to Osteoporosis but, from what I have read, there seems to be only one way to improve OP and that is 'excercise'.  All very well, if you can!

As you say, most of us have other issues which prevent a lot of movement.  The younger ones also try dieting, but there have to be some pleasures in life!!😊

Regards fr Constance

• Posted

Hi Constance!

Yes, I cannot do much exercise either.

I go to the pool and do step ups on the steps, pushing the noodle down with one leg at a time, resistance with the Dumbbells, walking across pool, etc.

I have added some vitamin and mineral supplements as well. I don't interfere with my diet except to have plenty of vegetables, fruit, dairy, protein, and food so like avocados, prunes, etc.

What is your  Tscore? Mine is around-3 to -4.

What country are you in?

• Posted

Lucky you, easy access to a pool (my dream)!   

My T-score is - 3.5.

I'm in Germany.  I'm British but have lived and worked in Germany for 45 years.

• Posted

Hi Kathleen.

I servely broke my right ankle or should I say shattered. I am full of metal in my ankle and 9 months post op,sometimes I have difficulty walking. I then found I had osteoporosis through my fagilty fracture ( something like a car crash fracture) my GP has proscribed Prolia and I have been taking this for a few months without side effects. I just can't break another bone and suffer as I already have. May I say I was a gym junkie, exercised, healthy diet, calcium, vitD, Vit K, sunlight, etc. no one looked after themselves more. I'm sorry to say the do it naturally didn't work for me and I find no problems with Prolia and I don't have any other options to keep my spine straight. I guess until you suffer with a severe broken bone through that dreaded disease you will put up your hand against medication but so far it's working for me and I feel fine. Each to their own I say 🙂

• Posted

Yes, very lucky about the pool. It is a lovely big well heated pool with a ramp.

I am 71. I also have arthritis, Crohns, diverticula, two herniated discs in lumbar section, gallstones and LS.

Are you still working?

• Posted

Good on you. You tried and you thought well before taking the Prolia.

That is the stage I am at now but the future may see me changing my mind.

It is good to listen to everyone's point of view and people change when circumstances change.

Can you tell me your tscores? 

I am 71 and only found out about my osteoporosis one year ago so I am still considering my options long term.

In Australia we do not have as many choices as the US or GB or Canada from what I have read on here.

• Posted

Hi Kathleen. I too am in Australia. My T score is -2.7. I actually put the slip of paper away but I'll check and if it's not right I'll let you know. I'm 60 and as I have already mentioned I didn't know I had the disease until I severely fractured my ankle. I've lost my job and it's left me with problems. I have always eaten healthy and I have been super fit so I can't do any more in the exercise/ food area. I think my problem started at menopause at the age of 51. I have no other problems in the health area. 🙂
    • Posted

Last paragraph - hardly!!😀. I'm 77 years young - at least I was 4 years ago (young I mean)!  Then Polymyalgia Rheumatica hit me.  Two years later very active OA (hips, knees, ankles).  Also have Gout - but this only seldom hits me.  It's excruciating when it does though.

The only good thing about getting old is that you have lived a long time, and I must admit I have had a very good life.

C. 💐

• Posted

Another Aussi..oi oi!

I am in Victoria on the Mornington Peninsula.

Your tscore is not that bad but your fractures are what decided you to take the Prolia.

It is good you have no other health issues. Are you still working?

• Posted

Old age is not for wimps they keep telling me.

Oh, your other health issues sound very painful.

I worked up until I needed a shoulder reconstruction and never got back to teaching after that . I was nearly 69 so I had done well anyway.

• Posted

Teaching till 69 - wow!  I was 62 when I gave up, and as I was in Further Ed, students who came to us 'wanted' to learn (well, the majority of them anyway).

I'm going into a Rheumatology Clinic for 10 days on Monday.  Hope they can sort me out.

• Posted

I taught high school kids. Towards the end, I was an emergency teacher, on call at one school only. I turned down an offer of a contract at 69 at a new school because of shoulder surgery.

Now, I have grandkids to replace my teaching life.

I gather you mean you will be an inpatient. I hope all goes well for you.

My hands can be a problem when it is cold especially so I can relate. The Meds I take for Crohns helps the arthritis as well.

• Posted

Kathleen I'm in Frankston !!

I'm a Pom living here and my employment was terminated because I was sent to an occupational doctor and he said I could not do my job safely 🙂

• Posted

I am in Mornington lol and the pool I go to is PARC in Frankston.15 minutes away from you!
    • Posted

I'm a walk away from Parc swimming pool. I was having hydrotherapy in Baxter and the physio told me there is an hydrotherapy pool at Parc. 🙂
    • Posted

It is a super one. It is nice and big and very warm. There is a ramp. We go tomorrow afternoon. Saturday afternoons are a good time as not so busy.

Maybe see you there in the future?

• Posted

Hi Kathleen.

I may go one day but it's a little chilly now. I was going to hydrotherapy for a few weeks but I was really encouraged by my physio and the weather was nicer. I know Parc have a good hydro pool. Maybe I will go one of these days.🙂

• Posted

I went today and water was so warm then had a nice warm shower. All good!

It will still be there when you are ready.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.