How likely is GB Rupture?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello all

So, I've been having issues for over seven years, which I truly believe are GB related, even though the scans I've had since late 2015 (3xUS, Colonoscopy, 2x Endoscopies and CT w/wo CCK) all were negative. I've tried to push for a Hida scan, but it's impossible to get in my country. Now the doctors have discharged me, telling me I'm healthy - despite all of my symptoms. (And there are many) 

Anyway, over the last couple of days, I've had an on/off very very mild, but stabbing kind of pain over my GB area, it only lasts a couple of seconds before going away, and then it returns a little later. It kept doing that, and now I feel like I have the flu (or am going to). No abdominal pain, though. 

I am concerned my GB has ruptured, since some people say they didn't have pain, they just felt flu-like symptoms. 

Of course, it might just be all in my head and be a normal flu/cold. Do any of you any experience with a GB rupturing or do you think it's likely that mine has ruptured or not? 

I hope you all are doing great! Take care

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I think if your GB ruptured you'd be in big trouble. I think you'd be in absolute agony right now.

If my GB ruptured I wouldn't be writing about it on a forum I'd be on the ground writhing in pain begging God for the ambulance to arrive.

• Posted

That's what I've always thought too. Until I read forum posts from people who had absolutely no pain.. But yeah, most likely all in my head. Hope it's just a normal flu

• Posted

While there definitely can be digestive issues as a result of a cruddy GB the pain is unmistakable. It was the attacks that drove me to a surgeon. Most pain I've ever experienced and that was just from a swollen GB trying to empty itself of bile. I couldn't imagine what it would feel like if it actually ruptured. Probably like getting shot.

I think you'd be very sick too.

• Posted

You would know i am sure if your GB ruptured... 

I think all the tests you had would have showed any issues with your GB, mine was picked up on a normal ultra sound.

Probablyba coinincidence that you feel like you have the flu, and the fact that you have been reading stuff about it.

Anxiety plays a big part in these fears, and googling symptoms will drive you crazy..

I did that when i started having symptoms and i ended up with health anxiety.

Trust your doctors diagnosis and the test results.

But if your symptoms continue keep going back.

A thought .. try eating plenty of fibre and foods that keep you regular , up your fluid intake also.

My top bowel was blocked through my digestive problems and as soon as i started eating more fibre daily it cleared up most of the pain on the right hand side.

I still had the GB pain and the refered pain in back and shoulder but that was the gall stones.

Hope you get some respite soon xx

• Posted

I am pretty sure that anxiety plays a big part here. I had a regular GB attack today, so now I dont think it has ruptured (thank god).

I am fully convinced that it is my GB that is causing me so much trouble. Like so many others on here, all my scans were negative - but I just cant get the HIDA scan to confirm my suspicion. The HIDA scan is where people seem to get their diagnosis.

4/5 docs have told me that it sounded like a GB problem, they just couldn't find the evidence for it. 

• Posted

Have you ever had a hida scan? It checks actual function of gallbladder. All my other scans were unremarkable. Hida scan showed an issue and at my follow up folllowing removal of my gallbladder dr said it was clear that it was diseased and needed to be removed.
    • Posted

Also I never had any noteable pain, nausea and reflux were my issues. Demand hida scan
    • Posted

As I wrote, I've tried to push for a HIDA Scan, because I know that it could show the actual function of the GB, and most likely confirm my suspicion. I am in no doubt that it's my GB which causes me trouble. Even 4/5 doctors have said this, they just can't find any evidence. Many people on here have it like me, with negative tests, until they have the HIDA Scan. P*sses me off that I can't have it.

• Posted

Hi

What country are you in?

The HYDA scan is the only one that shows the functioning of the GB & is the one you need.

My daughter was told it was all in her head for years & she was attention seeking then the scan which I paid for privately showed it to only be functioning at 16%, could you pay private for the scan anywhere near you at all.?

hope you can get something sorted out.

• Posted

I am located in Denmark. I have looked at nearly every private hospital in my country, and none of them seem to offer the HIDA scan. I was told by a doctor that here In Denmark, the MRI has replaced the HIDA scan, which I think is absurd, given the MRI doesn't measure the function of the GB.

• Posted

I never had a HIDA scan.
    • Posted

Because you didn't need it. Usually, an ultrasound or CT will suffice if you have stones. Not all of us are that "lucky". I've heard about it too many times now, that people don't have stones, and their GBs simply don't work how they should, or the scans just didn't catch the inflammation, thickening of the walls, or even small stones.  

• Posted

It should show wall thickening. Or sludge. Enlarged ducts. Inflammation. How's your digestion?

• Posted

Yes it should, but it doesn't always do. I guess it depends on the individual and to how far the disease has progressed. The thing I know is, the HIDA scan is for many, the only scan that made them get the diagnosis.

My digestion is poor. I have fat malabsorption for sure, or at least I have issues digesting it. Loose/Pale stools, noisy growling sounds, and my skin has gotten worse over the years, which also indicates bad digestion. 

• Posted

Yes, unfortunately a HIDA scan was what diagnosed me with an overactive gallbladder. I can't believe there isn't ONE hospital that can do it for you. As much as it might suck, you might have to go farther out of your area maybe even country to get one. Chances are, your GB hasn't and won't rupture. You would really be in excruciating pain if that were the case. I never had pain with my GB problems either. People who have flu like symptoms typically are having gallbladder infections/inflammation, which isn't something that can be seen by anything unless you happen to be having a scan when it's happening. It then typically causes GB wall thickening which is SOMETIMES, not always seen on an ultrasound. I had light color softer stools too - assuming your liver levels are fine this is a sure fire GB sign.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.