how long ?

Posted , 5 users are following.

should you wait to ride a bicycle after turp?  I had Redilux laser TURP on Dec. 4, 2015.  I developed scar tissue and just had the scar tissue blockage removed by laser on May 13, 2016.  The cath comes out tomorrow.  I will be on vacation in two weeks.  How long do you have to wait after scar tissue removal to exercise or ride a bike?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

had a TURP in March 2015..i did wait 1 month, i had no problems with the  op,or recovery,usuall blood and bits for 10 days. i did surf after 2 weeks,no probs, but did everything gently, got back on the bike 4/5 weeks after op, and all ok, maybe more pee stops(more liquid intake),  i did then overdo it ..... and eventually my left knee has complained!!  so 2/3 weeks more rest  now.  i do live in Portugal , and up a mountain!! so overdoing it was on the cards! so whatever..take it easy. i am 68 and always been a pro sportsman( and not learnt much i guess??) more turbo trainer for me, and that is what i would suggest to start!! hope it goes well..regards Syd
  • Posted

Can't answer "how long" but consider one of the prostate friendly split seats on the market. Definitely helped my bicyle riding related prostate symptons. 

Jim

• Posted

yep as Jim James says, i changed all my saddles to the Selle SMP range of split seats, from Fizik saddles, and much more comfortable MTB as well!!
    • Posted

Also check out the ISM line. I have the "sport" model but they also have a wider one as well as a "race" model. While technically not split seats, they definitely take the pressure off the prostate. Takes a few rides to get used to them and after that you don't even know the saddle is there.

Jim

• Posted

I came home from TURP op with instructions "No heavy lifting for six weeks" which I followed fairly closely. However, I did ease into stationery cycling and crosstrainer after about four weeks from op as the bleeding had cleared up by then and had been walking regularly three times a week for about 1-1.5 hours at a time.

As soon as the six weeks were up I started on light resistance training and over a period of about six weeks was back at almost my previous level and have maintained that. I also have a tendency to overdo things so have not tried to push further as I understand the effects of the op may extend for many months. (I read on one post to even a year after the op.)

• Posted

I had it in Oct. I did cardio (running, biking) when the bleeding stopped. Around 6 weeks. (60 year old marathon runner. Being in great shape-regular workouts prior may have helped the healing process). I actually speed walked a race 2 weeks after but knew running it would be a bad idea.

I started lifting (easy at first) after 8 weeks.  I think it depends on instinct and how fit you are. I think biking/cardio is the easiest and safest way to get back into routine. Just watch rough (bumps) terraine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.