How long after op

Posted , 8 users are following.

How long after op can you start reducing you pain killer in take mainly OXYCODONE dont fancy taking such a strong does for a week rather knock it down gradually

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I took tramadol for the first month but reduced the frequency until only taking it at night.The night one is most important so you get your sleep!Listen to your body.It will tell you if you need more pain relief.

I have found amytiptyline low dose very good for pain and sleeping as you improve

Janet

• Posted

I would listen to your body, I reduced my Tramadol to mornings and night time at around 4 weeks, but then took Ibufon and Paracetamol lunch and dinner time.  

​Now only taking Tramadol at night and the Ibufon and Paracetamol at other times. 

​If I have a bad night, which we seem to get every once in a while then I will take 2 Tramadol in the morning and return to bed for another sleep.... 

Only you can judge the pain levels, but be prepared to have to return once in a while

Good luck

• Posted

Hi Dominic that really depends whether you are still in pain and/or can sleep through the night.

When are you taking the Oxycodone - during the day and at night or just one of them?

There is no point being in pain if you don't have to be.  You should also ensure that you are getting as much sleep as possible as this is when you heal best.

Personally I only took the Oxycodone at night to ensure I had as good a nights sleep as I could - and I finished the bottle.  I didn't have any withdrawal symptoms.

Why are you concerned about taking the Oxycodone?

• Posted

Its the effects it has on me am not keen on that one seems to make me the most drowsey and out of it its the slow release. Oxy they have give me so are Good for 12 hours
    • Posted

I don't like codeine because of its constipating effect-awful.Managed tramadol with stool softeners and lots of fruit.

Janet

• Posted

Hi Dominic. I agree with Janet. Amitriptyline. Works well as a sedative. I had one tablet last night and it got me asleep.

I took mine just after having morphine.

Good luck.

• Posted

Not sure what Amitriptyline they didnt perscribe. That when leaving hospital
    • Posted

I had it prescribed by my GP doctor.In large doses it is an anti depressant but at 10mg it is used for nerve pain and arthritis and to help sleep.Search Google

Janet

• Posted

I was on endone, four times a day says the packet, I still have the packet in my bedside drawer, use one occasionally when my ruptered disc in my back insists on playing up.

Was able to stop taking the morning  dose at about 10 days from THR, as I had the same reaction as you, my adult son used to tease me about being drunk also dropped the midday dosage, and then the late afternoon, by the end of the month was even able to give away the night time dosage. But kept up with the Panadol, still take one occasionally, last night for example, arthritis night pain has got on top of me the last few days.

• Posted

I was allergic to opiates so stopped taking them on day 2. Just took ipbrufen and panadol. Then from week 2 just panadol. Everyone is different but give it a try.

Good luck.

• Posted

My doc would not give that to me even tho I asked for it .. Said it was a hospital drug and would only give me codeine .
  • Posted

I think I quit taking mine after about 6 weeks as I was doing PT for that length of time and did have pain after those workouts!

I would taper it off gradually but take them if you need them!

no reason to be in pain!

Good luck Dominic

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.