How long before patient wakes up

Posted , 3 users are following.

my nephew was diagnosed WITH CPM 3 week ago, and has been in neuro-ICU. He opened his eyes last weekend for two days, staring at us but no movement. Started running fever, and has slept for 4 days now.  He has started moving his legs, arms, and shoulders when pinched, cold cloths applied or rubbed. He has moved his legs at times as well.  No infection.  Removing suction tube today, breathing independently. Fever finally broke and may move him to rehab today.  

Doctors say say he hears us talking to him.  Does anyone have any information or experience in this? They haven't said he has locked in syndrome and from all I read he doesn't.  Appreciate all feedback

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Greetings Sheila,  I had to google CPM because I was not familiar with the condition.  Based on my reading I must say how sorry that this has happened to your nephew or to anyone.  It does sound like there has been improvement in his condition and that's going in the right direction.  Not having locked in syndrome and being moved to rehab is all incouraging.  It's good that you are researching the condition and you may be able to find an online support group dedicated to CPM.  I think your nephew will need ongoing support and assistance and his parents too.  Time will tell.  It sounds hopeful to me that he has moved his legs without being pinched because it seems like more than just a reaction to a stimulus.  That to me is more like his brain is in control of his muscles and not just his nerves.  These will be difficult times but you have my good wishes for continued improvement.  Hugs.  You are a good Aunt.

• Posted

Hi Sheila

What exactly is CPM and what caused it?  When I was 15 years old I was knocked down by a motorcycle when I was crossing a road. I was unconscious for about 5 weeks. I can't remember how it happened, the first thing I remember is being spoon fed by my mother. I was paralysed down my left side and had no hair because my scull had been fractured.

That was 55 years ago on the 16 march. After recovering I have led a normal life ( despite multiple inguries) and have 2 children and 3 grandchildren. 

There is is hope for your grandson and just keep positive.

All the best

Brenda C

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.